BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

It's so hard. Rodwell and Lenihan have to stay. Almost be good for us if Mulgrew still isn't 100% fit next weekend. His set pieces alone warrant him in the team, but where? Mulgrew in CM or LB as some suggest would be suicidal. Imagine him against Bowen next weekend... Eesh. 3 at the back seems a good idea with our current crop with the ability to change mid game, but it needs a full pre season on it to properly work as every time we use it we look absolutely lost and devoid of any width, which is weird seen as it's supposed to give you width... 

I would put Mulgrew midfield before left back and I don't think he should be in midfield! 

We are in a good spot competition wise. Smallwood and Mulgrew may have both just lost their places. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

This line on the official site would suggest not

Tony Mowbray says the centre back position is Jack Rodwell's to lose following another impressive display from the former England international.

Hadn't seen that - thanks.

Good on him for rewarding performance/form rather than defaulting to the captain if that's the case.

• Like 1

Over the course of the season Mulgrews defending has been much better than Lenihans, without factoring in his goal return.

Mulgrew will rightfully be back in the team sooner rather than later although it would be folly to drop either Rodwell or Lenihan at the moment so the 2 options are to keep Rodwell and Lenihan together until theres a reason to bring our captain back in or bring him back as soon as he is fit and push Rodwell forward one alongside Travis. Changing formation would be a brainless move on the back of 3 wins to a formation that requires repetitive training and full committment to. And one that has never worked in the past.

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Over the course of the season Mulgrews defending has been much better than Lenihans, without factoring in his goal return.

Mulgrew will rightfully be back in the team sooner rather than later although it would be folly to drop either Rodwell or Lenihan at the moment so the 2 options are to keep Rodwell and Lenihan together until theres a reason to bring our captain back in or bring him back as soon as he is fit and push Rodwell forward one alongside Travis. Changing formation would be a brainless move on the back of 3 wins to a formation that requires repetitive training and full committment to. And one that has never worked in the past.

Agree, but then again he's also looked better than Rodwell other than the last 2 games, and Lenihan has been top drawer since the new year. Genuinely have no idea how to best accommodate this without a change of system, could finally be the opportunity for Mowbray to go back to three at the back?

I'd like to see Mulgrew given a try at LB. When we're defending it would be a back 4 with Benno at RB. When we have the ball we shift round to more of a back 3 with Bennett having some freedom to get forward.  Did something similar earlier in the season with Williams.

I don't like the thought of accommodating Mulgrew at left back or midfield, it smacks of hypocrisy of what a lot on here say about Mowbray playing square pegs in round holes.

For me, it's two out of the three at centre half with Lenihan, Mulgrew & Rodwell. Whoever gets the shirt and plays well keeps it.

I'm a big Mulgrew fan, but he needs to wait for an injury or a drop in form now to get his place back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't like the thought of accommodating Mulgrew at left back or midfield, it smacks of hypocrisy of what a lot on here say about Mowbray playing square pegs in round holes.

For me, it's two out of the three at centre half with Lenihan, Mulgrew & Rodwell. Whoever gets the shirt and plays well keeps it.

I'm a big Mulgrew fan, but he needs to wait for an injury or a drop in form now to get his place back.

Personally I think Mulgrew would do better at left back than Williams or Bell. Whatever shape his peg is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rigger said:

Personally I think Mulgrew would do better at left back than Williams or Bell. Whatever shape his peg is.

Despite his faults Bell has something all good full backs need which is pace. Anyone with a tiny bit of pace would send Mulgrew into early retirement. Bell's pace allows him to get back when he does get caught out, also think he gets stick that's unjustified and he's had quite a few good games this season, Saturday being his best. His off the ball runs forward opened up space for Rothwell and Travis, Mulgrew doesn't have the legs to play let back, unless he's gonna be under instruction to stay in our own half at all times, but then why not use a 3 at the back? I can't remember Bell being torn apart for 90 mins like Williams was at Sheffield United, Wigan when he came on, Preston... 

At this level, at the moment, he's an average full back but for 300 grand he's much better than we could've got. Him and Nyambe get a lot of stick for things that I think we as fans expect too much of. Goals/assists was a stat referred to above but I can't remember watching a game this season and thinking 'he's miles better than what we've got at left back' other than Jamal Lewis when we played Norwich and George Baldock at Sheffield United but he played more as a winger than a left back due to Sheff United's system. That's not saying there isn't better full backs in the league, but I'm yet to see one perform anything above averagely actually against us. All full backs at this level fail to really stand out from the crowd.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

Despite his faults Bell has something all good full backs need which is pace. Anyone with a tiny bit of pace would send Mulgrew into early retirement. Bell's pace allows him to get back when he does get caught out, also think he gets stick that's unjustified and he's had quite a few good games this season, Saturday being his best. His off the ball runs forward opened up space for Rothwell and Travis, Mulgrew doesn't have the legs to play let back, unless he's gonna be under instruction to stay in our own half at all times, but then why not use a 3 at the back? I can't remember Bell being torn apart for 90 mins like Williams was at Sheffield United, Wigan when he came on, Preston... 

At this level, at the moment, he's an average full back but for 300 grand he's much better than we could've got. Him and Nyambe get a lot of stick for things that I think we as fans expect too much of. Goals/assists was a stat referred to above but I can't remember watching a game this season and thinking 'he's miles better than what we've got at left back' other than Jamal Lewis when we played Norwich and George Baldock at Sheffield United but he played more as a winger than a left back due to Sheff United's system. That's not saying there isn't better full backs in the league, but I'm yet to see one perform anything above averagely actually against us. All full backs at this level fail to really stand out from the crowd.

Even with pace Bell does not stop his opponent from getting crosses in. In my opinion the most important asset for a full back is to be able to defend. Bells positional sense is appalling he makes it easy for any opposition player to pass the ball to the man, who he is meant to be marking.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rigger said:

Even with pace Bell does not stop his opponent from getting crosses in. In my opinion the most important asset for a full back is to be able to defend. Bells positional sense is appalling he makes it easy for any opposition player to pass the ball to the man, who he is meant to be marking.   

His biggest flaw for me. He's definitely worth persevering with in my view, despite being a bit up or down so far, but if he doesn't get tighter in defending against his man, he'll never make a full back at this level. 

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Cannot argue withat that, we havnt yet to play two full backs on one side to negate the opposition fullback like last season.

• Moderation Lead

I’m not trying to be rude (honestly), but anyone suggesting Mulgrew at left back has got to still be drunk from the weekend.

It wouldn’t be good for him at all. His lack of pace would be horribly exposed. 

It just sounds like a desperate attempt to shoehorn him into the team because Rodwell has played really well in his absence for the last two games.

As long as the people suggesting this change of position aren’t the same ones criticising TM for playing our players out of position ?.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’m not trying to be rude (honestly), but anyone suggesting Mulgrew at left back has got to still be drunk from the weekend.

It wouldn’t be good for him at all. His lack of pace would be horribly exposed. 

It just sounds like a desperate attempt to shoehorn him into the team because Rodwell has played really well in his absence for the last two games.

As long as the people suggesting this change of position aren’t the same ones criticising TM for playing our players out of position ?.

Perish the thought.

All good for some though - if he leaves Rodwell in and we get beat, then Mowbray should have brought Captain Fantastic back, and if he does and we don’t get the result, I can’t believe Mowbray would drop Rodwell.

A veritable bounty of potential gripes ?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Perish the thought.

All good for some though - if he leaves Rodwell in and we get beat, then Mowbray should have brought Captain Fantastic back, and if he does and we don’t get the result, I can’t believe Mowbray would drop Rodwell.

A veritable bounty of potential gripes ?

Thats management for you. If we win and he keeps Rodwell in, he will be praised, if he brings Mulgrew back in and we win, he will be praised.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree, but then again he's also looked better than Rodwell other than the last 2 games, and Lenihan has been top drawer since the new year. Genuinely have no idea how to best accommodate this without a change of system, could finally be the opportunity for Mowbray to go back to three at the back?

Lenihan into central, defensive mid-field? Bit of crunch in there along with Reed and Travis?