BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

13 hours ago, rigger said:

In a properly organised defence you do not run that much more at full-back than at center-back, a full back does not have to bomb forward. He has to get the ball to someone forward of him that can bomb forwards. You also propose to do nothing about the problem and just let Bell, do for now. I would suggest that we now find ourselves in a position, in the league, where we could take risks  in games, trying to come up with an answer to the problem. Rather than make do for now with no plan for the future/present. 

Man, you are only thinking about the defensive part. Full backs are expected to defend, but also offer support in attack. Playing Mulgrew there would be the ultimate square peg in a round hall. There is a reason why there are big lumbering centre halves, but not big lumbering full backs. Not saying Mulgrew is lumbering by the way. 

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Man, you are only thinking about the defensive part. Full backs are expected to defend, but also offer support in attack. Playing Mulgrew there would be the ultimate square peg in a round hall. There is a reason why there are big lumbering centre halves, but not big lumbering full backs. Not saying Mulgrew is lumbering by the way. 

Say lumbering more.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are quite correct in that I think that the main priority for a full back is defence. for a full back to be able to support the attack  in my opinion would take a player above our financial situation. I do not get your statement  of Mulgrew being the ultimate square peg in a round hole. He is a left footed defender who has previously played in the position, successfully. He has the passing range to get the ball to our midfield or forwards, he can time a tackle,  has good positional sense and can read the game. 

• Like 1

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew Bell

Travis    Reed

Dack

Armstrong      Graham

Edited: Not one player is out of position here, so definitely wouldn't happen.

Edited by Mellor Rover

38 minutes ago, rigger said:

You are quite correct in that I think that the main priority for a full back is defence. for a full back to be able to support the attack  in my opinion would take a player above our financial situation. I do not get your statement  of Mulgrew being the ultimate square peg in a round hole. He is a left footed defender who has previously played in the position, successfully. He has the passing range to get the ball to our midfield or forwards, he can time a tackle,  has good positional sense and can read the game. 

I take your points. I just think if Mulgrew is up supporting the attack and we lose the ball, he wouldn't be quick enough to get back and defend agaisnt the opposition right winger all game. Whatever about Bell, he is pretty mobile. 

As a concession I will put Mulgrew ahead of Williams as a left back option :)  

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Raya

Travis    Reed

Dack

Armstrong      Graham

Now we're talking. We need defensive/LB cover but I think we'd thrive like this. 

6 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Raya

Travis    Reed

Dack

Armstrong      Graham

I'd switch Rodwell to the right of the back three and Lenihan into the middle of the back three, other than that it's worth thinking about. They should be trying it out in training.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, rigger said:

for or a full back to be able to support the attack  in my opinion would take a player above our financial situation.

Eh? We've just committed £6m+ to a reserve striker. Nobody knows what our budget is for this window.

I'm sure a quality left-back could be sourced for much less than BB cost.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd switch Rodwell to the right of the back three and Lenihan into the middle of the back three, other than that it's worth thinking about. They should be trying it out in training.

I would imagine with a full squad, it is worked on. TM loves a back 3 and if Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew are fit then that is a quality back line. 

• Backroom
On 24/08/2018 at 15:22, Mackemz said:

He is the worst signing in our history (even worse than mistakingly signing Milton Nuñez, a Honduran dwarf who fell over the ball on his debut and only appearance). He is also one of the worst professionals in history.

Why? Complete lack of application. When he was on the pitch he had an ability to hide from the ball, to make himself unavailable for a pass, would rarely make a tackle, wouldn´t track runners, would not compete for a ball, no fight or will. He was a passenger. 

He was on 70k a week and couldn´t be bothered to apply himself. Made no effort to be a professional footballer.

Expect a litany of excuses. Don´t expect to win a game with him on the field. .......Welcome to the worst excuse for a professional footballer we have ever seen.

Sounds like this is written about a different player.

Crazy how players can perform so differently from club to club. 

Hope we sign him onto a few years contract. Still a good age. 

• Like 1

Was completely against the Rodwell signing initially and he may still be injury prone but the last couple of games he's been superb.  

I have to hold my hands up, if he can maintain it, then he could take Mulgrews spot at the back.  

Certainly worth a new contract if wages sensible.  Well done TM and Rodwell himself for putting his football first.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Was completely against the Rodwell signing initially and he may still be injury prone but the last couple of games he's been superb.  

I have to hold my hands up, if he can maintain it, then he could take Mulgrews spot at the back.  

Certainly worth a new contract if wages sensible.  Well done TM and Rodwell himself for putting his football first.  

Me too!

• Backroom
33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was pleased when we gave him the chance. I thought it was a smart move on Mowbray's part, you don't play at the level he did without ability. I'm pleased he's doing well but he'd have play well and stay fit a bit longer before I start out handing him a 3 year contract. That's just foolish.

Then risk losing him to another club that will sign him up.