BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was pleased when we gave him the chance. I thought it was a smart move on Mowbray's part, you don't play at the level he did without ability. I'm pleased he's doing well but he'd have play well and stay fit a bit longer before I start out handing him a 3 year contract. That's just foolish.

Don't think a 3 year contract would be wise either but an 18 month contract with an option would suit both parties I would have thought.  Rodwell rebuilds his career and if he does well, he gets his choice of clubs. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Silas said:

Then risk losing him to another club that will sign him up.

Hang on a minute, the lad's had a couple of good games against a background of a very chequered career regarding injuries and availability. Nobody will be knocking at our door to take him away on the strength of that recent record. If he's still doing the business in March then we should be thinking about a longer term contract. Three years after two games is just plain foolish, we're not back in the Prem yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

To be fair, they are rivals. I'm sure we'd have a few names for ex Burnley players....

Not with the word THE WORD I HAVE TRIED TO USE DESERVES A BAN in. One would hope there is a line. 

EDIT: It's even banned on here. it's the 4 letter word beginning in M

Edited by blueboy3333

@Biz as you are liking my posts sarcastically from 5 months ago! Whilst not forgetting his injury problems already with us and a couple of less than competent performances at centre back earlier in the season. I am happy to state that Rodwell and Mowbray have proved me wrong in the last few weeks with some superb performances, and I hope he signs longer term. 

• Backroom
7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hang on a minute, the lad's had a couple of good games against a background of a very chequered career regarding injuries and availability. Nobody will be knocking at our door to take him away on the strength of that recent record. If he's still doing the business in March then we should be thinking about a longer term contract. Three years after two games is just plain foolish, we're not back in the Prem yet.

In the current climate where even half decent players are going 15+ million, you wouldn't be concerned about someone coming sniffing for a bargain?

I would wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment if he was 30 and over.

But he's  27, which changes the scenario for me. 

13 hours ago, Silas said:

In the current climate where even half decent players are going 15+ million, you wouldn't be concerned about someone coming sniffing for a bargain?

I would wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment if he was 30 and over.

But he's  27, which changes the scenario for me. 

Exactly, we should be doing it to protect our investment more than anything. He can walk for free in a few months, at least if he is on a contract and gets tempted away we stand to make some money. Anyone that has seen his performances lately will be keeping tabs on him if not already speaking to his agent. There is a fine line between making a player earn a new contract and making him feel we're not too bothered about him so that he looks at other options. 

Should be offer him a new deal after a few good games.....definatley not. It shouldnt work like that.

However the risk /reward to leaving it reaches a point where you have to take a gamble.

The more good games he has, the more teams start sniffing and therefore the more leverage he has when negotiating a deal.

The bottom line is the longer we leave it the more confident we are, but the more the deal is going to cost us.

• Like 2

On 24/08/2018 at 10:10, LeftWinger said:

I am actually quite excited by this signing. He's exactly the sort of player that seems to thrive at Rovers - the sort that has talent but has lost their way.

I did think he would be a good addition at relatively low risk. Definitely should give him a contract as I don't think he would be holding out for massive money.

6 hours ago, FGS5635 said:

No indication he wants to stay though. I'd rather be reading a story that he'd signed a new deal than one saying we were aiming to open talks over a new deal.

If I were him I'd be waiting to see how I stood once Mulgrew was completely fit again. If he was still then getting picked over CM it might make a big difference to his decision.

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think his rehab in the eyes of the rest of the game may take some time longer than that, even if he keeps up his current form.

Ideally, would like to keep it that way tbh.