BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No indication he wants to stay though. I'd rather be reading a story that he'd signed a new deal than one saying we were aiming to open talks over a new deal.

If I were him I'd be waiting to see how I stood once Mulgrew was completely fit again. If he was still then getting picked over CM it might make a big difference to his decision.

I’m sure radio silence until it was signed would have led to numerous mini-meltdowns.

I for one am happy to read stories that the majority of fans want to hear ?‍♂️

On 26/01/2019 at 23:55, tomphil said:

I remember them ranting similar about Danny Graham when he left to come here, oh and Micky Gray. Take Wes Brown out of it and they've not been a bad feeder club for us and we never pay them any fees ?

I've just finished watching that Sunderland til I Die docu series. They did a real character assassination on Rodwell. They signed him, didn't put relegation clauses in his contract and froze him out to force his hand - so shut up and pay the man.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I've just finished watching that Sunderland til I Die docu series. They did a real character assassination on Rodwell. They signed him, didn't put relegation clauses in his contract and froze him out to force his hand - so shut up and pay the man.  

When you think of the contracts handed out here to far bigger tossers like Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc etc and they were honoured in the form of pay offs then yes Blunderland get the man paid what you promised him.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When you think of the contracts handed out here to far bigger tossers like Murphy, Best, Etuhu etc etc and they were honoured in the form of pay offs then yes Blunderland get the man paid what you promised him.

I believe he cancelled the final year of the contract anyway didn’t he? 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Cracking signing id we can pull it off. I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year we are getting bids close to £10 million 

Really can’t see that but maybe we could bridge any salary gap with a share of any future transfer fee. His very own sell-on clause.

22 hours ago, Pedro said:

Load of maggots them lot, from top to bottom. Poisonous club. Couldn't think of anything worse than Netflix filming us during our dark days. Thankfully not even our owners were that desperate for personal exposure! I feel sorry for their fans.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I believe he cancelled the final year of the contract anyway didn’t he? 

Yes he did and when you work out how much that is at 70k a week, that's a shitload he walked away from. Funny how it doesnt get mentioned much that he mutually cancelled his contract in the last year though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Wonder if the new series next season will focus a part on the new grooming scandal to add a new dimension..if they miss out on going up it could end up a bigger disaster than the first one

Someone told me earlier that the second series was being filmed but hadn’t been picked up by a network yet. Probably all depends on promotion. Although I really enjoyed the first one - and I expect true football supporters “get it”, Netflix will be wanting a feelgood ‘ending’ for the masses.

Someone needs to tip them off that there is no ‘ending’ in football and if there was it’d be pretty disastrous for all concerned!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

"We’re trying to see if we can make him a centre half by occupation. But then I look at the goals against column and think it’s an area where we have to create competition" - Mogga

The above quote is the one that I think is the most important from the Rodwell article. Going off what has been said in the last few months Rodwell wants to start. He also possibly wants to start in midfield (Mowbray alluded to it a few months ago). Mowbray, however,  clearly sees him as an CB (a footballing CB in the Mulgrew mould). What he unfortunately has in common with Mulgrew is that he is a poor defender. 

What gives me hope from that quote is that Mowbray IMO doesn't see Rodwell as a starter. Mowbray therefore needs 2 CB's and a at least one FB in the summer if he wants to create 'competition'. Sharpe mentions in the article that CB and FB additions are 'likely'. Here's hoping.

If Mowbray has pretensions of the play-offs next season he needs a re-vamped defence as a priority. The majority of his current defenders, quite simply, can't defend. Every other reason for our appalling defensive record (mentality, sitting back etc) are just excuses. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, philipl said:

1) Mowbray is the sort of guy you expect to be telling the truth.

2) Given what has been said to detract from Rodwell in the past, those comments are perfect demon killers 

so 3) Very smart psychology to phrase it that way. 

Mowbray contradicts himself on a weekly basis.

• Like 1

If Rodwell is going to play centre back then he has to play as one of 3 centre backs, he's not good enough to play as one of 2 but could be very effective in a 3. Sadly we can't play a 3 at the moment as we only have 3 centre backs at the club (due to the managers decisions in January) and one of them is injured. 

Personally I'd like to see him have a few games in midfield, he's shown that on the ball he has a lot of quality (which we lack) and if you play Travis or Reed alongside him they will cover plenty of ground.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

If Rodwell is going to play centre back then he has to play as one of 3 centre backs, he's not good enough to play as one of 2 but could be very effective in a 3. Sadly we can't play a 3 at the moment as we only have 3 centre backs at the club (due to the managers decisions in January) and one of them is injured. 

Personally I'd like to see him have a few games in midfield, he's shown that on the ball he has a lot of quality (which we lack) and if you play Travis or Reed alongside him they will cover plenty of ground.

And Rothwell?

• Like 1

I know Bolton are a poor team, but I really liked the midfield lineup from the away game there back in October and always wondered why we haven't used it more (probably because it doesn't include any of Tony's faves)

It was Rothwell, Reed, Rodwell & Palmer, with Dack behind Graham. Swap Palmer for a fully fit Chapman and that is an exciting midfield, I especially think Reed & Rodwell would compliment each other really well if they had 10/12 games together, then next season you could put Travis in for Reed.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

I know Bolton are a poor team, but I really liked the midfield lineup from the away game there back in October and always wondered why we haven't used it more (probably because it doesn't include any of Tony's faves)

It was Rothwell, Reed, Rodwell & Palmer, with Dack behind Graham. Swap Palmer for a fully fit Chapman and that is an exciting midfield, I especially think Reed & Rodwell would compliment each other really well if they had 10/12 games together, then next season you could put Travis in for Reed.

I don't disagree but didn't Mr Play it Safe revert to type by replacing Rodwell and Rothwell with Evans and Smallwood in a double change early in the second half?

• Backroom

He’s one of our best passers of the ball, this idea to convert him to a centre half when he’s potentially our best central midfielder is bonkers!

Not quite Matteo on left wing but is just nonsense in my view 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I don't disagree but didn't Mr Play it Safe revert to type by replacing Rodwell and Rothwell with Evans and Smallwood in a double change early in the second half?

Yes I think you are correct, probably why Bolton started to get on top in the game in the second half.

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Keep saying it Rodwell might get the odd hour in midfield but he's not a long term option for us in centre mid.