BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

7 hours ago, Tom said:

He’s one of our best passers of the ball, this idea to convert him to a centre half when he’s potentially our best central midfielder is bonkers!

Not quite Matteo on left wing but is just nonsense in my view 

Rodwell was a centre half as a kid, youth teams. Only season before debut and PL at Everton did he play DM

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Rodwell was a centre half as a kid, youth teams. Only season before debut and PL at Everton did he play DM

But hes played his whole senior career in midfield. He earnt England caps and a big money move to City as a midfielder. And he looks as flimsy as anyone in defence, because hes never played there as a senior player with any regularity. It was a stupid project which was stupidly seemingly an alternative to signing a blood and thunder centre back.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

Evans and Smallwood have been shoo ins all season, win, lose or draw. Both of them are clearly playing a level above their skillset. Rodwell and Reed are technical players with Premier League pedigree who should play where they can make the most impact, in the middle of the park. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Amo said:

Evans and Smallwood have been shoo ins all season, win, lose or draw. Both of them are clearly playing a level above their skillset. Rodwell and Reed are technical players with Premier League pedigree who should play where they can make the most impact, in the middle of the park. 

Think that is somewhat of an unfair and antiquated criticism. We all expected Travis, the missing person within your post, to instantly lose his place as soon as Smallwood returned from suspension. Indeed, since Travis came in v Sheffield United, he has played all of the game apart from v Bristol City, when he was taken off for his own protection after losing his discipline, and at home to Boro, when he came on at half time but rather than Evans and Smallwood, we went with Evans and Reed in the middle.

The Rodwell centre back experiment has been a farce from day one, in that he came as seemingly an alternative to a natural centre back that we couldnt afford for a fraction of the price that we paid for a sub striker yet to score. Unfortunately, Mowbray's imbalanced recruitment has removed any potential to put him in his natural position in the absence of one solitary centre back.

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Think that is somewhat of an unfair and antiquated criticism. We all expected Travis, the missing person within your post, to instantly lose his place as soon as Smallwood returned from suspension.

My point is that Mowbray always has to play one of Evans or Smallwood. He doesn't trust the midfield without them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Just now, roversfan99 said:

Id keep him too but id disagree with that second bit. Poor at centre back.

You can say he’s made mistakes there but as Des Willy has shown - it’s churlish to write off players in positions and teams.

That doesn’t mean that I think DW is long term first team solution either! Just a great backup (like Mulgrew) if we do go out and buy a centrehalf!

• Backroom

My concern with Rodwell would be his attitude if given a long-term deal. Yet he's also unlikely to accept a short-term deal, so... it's a tough one. Mowbray obviously still isn't sure as he's been very cautious with his comments regarding Rodders so far. The chances of getting a player of similar quality is quite low, I'd think, so maybe worth the risk if the wages are right. I'm really torn on this one.

Just now, DE. said:

My concern with Rodwell would be his attitude if given a long-term deal. Yet he's also unlikely to accept a short-term deal, so... it's a tough one. Mowbray obviously still isn't sure as he's been very cautious with his comments regarding Rodders so far. The chances of getting a player of similar quality is quite low, I'd think, so maybe worth the risk if the wages are right. I'm really torn on this one.

What have you seen to suggest he has any issues with attitude.

He has come in, played reasonably well, caused no unrest when he's been benched and in and out the team and I see no issues with fitness barring his injuries which can't be put on him ?

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

The thing is he's self-motivated or not,because he doesn't need the money. Just missed the changing room banter and being around a club I guess.

So I don't imagine he'll be pressing for big wages. An interesting and unusual case.

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we could regret it if we don't sign him. I think this season will stand tom him and next season could be even better. I think he is a far safer bet than a young lad or League 1 player. Replacing him could be expensive.

Really is a no-brainer for me. As long as he accepts his position is CM first and foremost but cover for CB when needed as well.

• Like 4

Definitely keep.

Promoted teams usually contain players easily too good for the level they are playing in.

A fully fit physically and psychologically Rodwell will come into that category for Rovers.

Rodwell is where Mowbray, the physios and sports Psychologists will earn their keep... or not...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ridiculous situation with Rodwell, still on family holiday, and will not be travelling to training camp in Austria.

Mowbray bending over backwards to accomodate a player, who has yet to show full commitment on and off the pitch.

Assuming transfer kitty not as large as everybody hopes.

• Like 2

Just now, blondie said:

Ridiculous situation with Rodwell, still on family holiday, and will not be travelling to training camp in Austria.

Mowbray bending over backwards to accomodate a player, who has yet to show full commitment on and off the pitch.

I understand players have to keep their options open but he also missed a big chunk of pre season last year and didn't play for a while because of this.

Therefore it's a big no from me.

1 hour ago, blondie said:

That Sunderland docu showed that he's a massive bellend whose heart isn't in the game.

Let's move on.

Might be Just swinging the lead and missing a bit more pre season like TM has said he just wants to play for fun and to be honest most of his performances have looked like he's not that arsed despite the quality he obviously has.

Are we really so desperate for these types on the books ?