BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

Flat track bully.

Made it look easy against the likes of Ipswich, didn’t look up for it against tougher opposition.

He should sign on for the England cricket team then. 

• Like 1

I think the amount of flak Rodwell has received is a little harsh.

From everything he has said in public, it didnt seem like Mowbray saw Rodwell as a particularly big part of his plans, or was particularly bothered whether he stays or goes.

Rodwell had no reason to come back in to do fitness testing, hes not contracted with us anymore, people seem to have reacted as if hes gone AWOL.

In terms of his season last season, he was not fit for purpose for the role he was intended to play, in defence. He is not a defender, and was always an incredible bizarre alternative once the Bauer negotiations hit a dead end last summer. 

Due to the contracts were dished out to the likes of Smallwood, Bennett and Evans, Rodwell becomes someone much easier to discard and I can't say that I'd be desperate to keep him.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 15:21, Amo said:

That Sunderland docu showed that he's a massive bellend whose heart isn't in the game.

Let's move on.

I thought it showed the Sunderland management team to be bellends. They gave him the contract and thought freezing him out of the picture would force him out and why they thought he should just cancel his contract is beyond me.

• Like 3

Obviously we don't know the ins and outs of this but it seems strange that, contract or no contract, Rodwell wouldn't be desperate to get back into full time training with the run he's had in recent years.  He's had best part of 2 months off already after all.  He could do pre-season with us and sign for anyone at any point.  Maybe he's just lazy, who knows?

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

He couldn't do pre-season with us as I am pretty sure his contract is up the 30th of this month. I find it bad that he hasn't signed up and is letting things run to the wire, meaning he misses out on a very important part of pre-season. Just make your mind up. 

Exactly. Conway made his mind up fairly quickly so that the club could move to get him replaced. I know he is not contractually obliged to be here but he should have made his mind up either way by now as by not doing so he is slowing down his own fitness levels if he does sign or slowing things down for the club in order to fill his place in the squad.

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't have any real problem with him doing what he's doing, provided he's getting himself sorted fitness-wise away from the club. Otherwise it shows a shocking lack of desire for someone is his position. 

Ya jesus hopefully he is and I am sure he probably is, but I am also pretty sure it won't be as intense as what the squad do in Austria. 

• Like 1

The attraction of Rodwell will be the multi position thing that's why they seem to be being weak yet again and letting a player dictate.  He can do two jobs average to poor with the odd blinder chucked in so he's a Mowbray man.

I've no faith whatsoever we'll get any good defenders in TM will be keeping his faith in the same again so he'll see Rodwell as important in that regard then he can scrabble about for a cheapo 5th choice.

If Boro/Coventry or West Brom were releasing a 35 year old lump he'd be here now and probably jump ahead of everyone else, Rodders would be history.

Edited by tomphil

• Backroom
Just now, tomphil said:

The attraction of Rodwell will be the multi position thing that's why they seem to be being weak yet again and letting a player dictate.  He can do two jobs average to poor with the odd blinder chucked in so he's a Mowbray man.

I've no faith whatsoever we'll get any good defenders in TM will be keeping his faith in the same again so he'll see Rodwell as important in that regard then he can scrabble about for a cheapo 5th choice.

If Boro/Coventry or West Brom were releasing a 35 year old lump he'd be here now and probably jump ahead of everyone else, Rodders would be history.

To be fair almost every player is multi-position to Tony. If you're a striker or centre midfielder you better start getting used to playing on the wing, because that's likely where you're ending up.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Not a lump, but I would take James Morrison! 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, McClarky said:

Obviously we don't know the ins and outs of this but it seems strange that, contract or no contract, Rodwell wouldn't be desperate to get back into full time training with the run he's had in recent years.  He's had best part of 2 months off already after all.  He could do pre-season with us and sign for anyone at any point.  Maybe he's just lazy, who knows?

How much do you think he ought to have in the bank by now ? it's a wonder he can out of bed before dinner time.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Both might be good. We lacked that experience at times last season. 

We keep saying that but Mulgrew, Evans, Graham, Conway (last season), more than enough experience and the likes of Williams and even Dack, masses of games under their belts at lower level.

I wouldn't be averse to Morrison the player coming in as well but like Downing it ends up being about what context they are delivered in. Funds used for them instead of defenders or another striker then no, not happy.  As part of a glut of signings including a good proven centre defender at this level and maybe a loan striker then yes bring it on the squad would be a lot stronger after that.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Leadership takes different forms. Wanting to take responsibility and get on the ball when defending or chasing a lead is a type of leadership. I would hope Downing will give us this. 

I know all about that but we lack the sort of guys that grab the ball out of the net when we've just conceded and run down to the centre circle with the ball. Our " experienced " players usually discover their boot lace has just come undone or  look blankly at each other. We want players with some fire in their bellies. If you were a Championship player who would you be frightened of playing against in our lot ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know all about that but we lack the sort of guys that grab the ball out of the net when we've just conceded and run down to the centre circle with the ball. Our " experienced " players usualyl discover their boot lace has just as come undone or  look blankly at each other. We want players with some fire in their bellies.

100% I agree with that. 

That was one of the good things about Hanley he stared people out although usually when it was HIS fault ?

Always got the impression Steele was terrified of him as were one or two others so not sure how Raya would cope but the back line communication or lack of was awful under Bowyer and I don't think it's any better now.  Too many nice guys not prepared to take responsibility, Lenihen aside.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

That was one of the good things about Hanley he stared people out although usually when it was HIS fault ?

Always got the impression Steele was terrified of him as were one or two others so not sure how Raya would cope but the back line communication or lack of was awful under Bowyer and I don't think it's any better now.  Too many nice guys not prepared to take responsibility, Lenihen aside.

Raya wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was playing in this side. Lenihan ripped him out of it a few times, so I think he may be getting frustrated with him. A nervy goalkeeper will literally kill a team. Mowbray has a big call to make with Raya I feel. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2019 at 18:52, roversfan99 said:

I think the amount of flak Rodwell has received is a little harsh.

From everything he has said in public, it didnt seem like Mowbray saw Rodwell as a particularly big part of his plans, or was particularly bothered whether he stays or goes.

Rodwell had no reason to come back in to do fitness testing, hes not contracted with us anymore, people seem to have reacted as if hes gone AWOL.

Nothing to do with him being obligated to do it, it's simply that getting yourself in shape when teams across the league are coming back for pre-season training seems an obvious thing to do for any true professional whether contracted or not, let alone one whose career, stock and fitness is in a precarious position. Yes yes, I know he has other offers, but if he has a bad season next year for us or whoever, he could easily find himself short on them in future as there are already a lot of question marks over him. I just think it's poor professionalism and I'm not impressed. It seems like something someone who has fallen out of love with the game and isn't motivated would do. If he's not, fine, just don't want him around anymore when I was already unsure whether he adds enough value.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I don't have any real problem with him doing what he's doing, provided he's getting himself sorted fitness-wise away from the club. Otherwise it shows a shocking lack of desire for someone is his position. 

Unless he's doing that during his family holiday and pissing off his missus, then no, he's not doing that.

19 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya wouldn't fill me with confidence if I was playing in this side. Lenihan ripped him out of it a few times, so I think he may be getting frustrated with him. A nervy goalkeeper will literally kill a team. Mowbray has a big call to make with Raya I feel. 

That Leeds lad is supposed to be walking around in a Rovers kit isn't he? Only 19 though.....

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What you want from your goalkeeper is predictability. You need to know what he's going to do in any given situation. I don't really care about the shots that fly into the top corner just as long as your keeper isn't dropping corners on the opposing centre forward's foot.

• Like 3