BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

That's the thing with keepers, consistency, basics, minimise mistakes and that's worth more points per season than anything.  Don't get me wrong it's great when they claw one out of the top corner late in a match to hang on to a lead or draw but not so great when you can directly point the finger at them costing you 7 or 10 points per season. At the moment Raya falls into that category for me he basically balances himself out so there's a lot of room for improvement.

Definitely needs a commanding presence in front of him running the defence though then some understanding can develop, that isn't Rodwell.

Steele was similar although by the end he was terrible I think Raya will turn out better overall, Jake Keane had blinders & stinkers in equal measure but Robbo although he had weaknesses and was past his best was pretty good at the basics week in week out.

It's back to the Mulgrew scenario really where one positive cancels out a negative but on balance which one wins in the end over a season, I feel similar about the likes of Rodwell.

Edited by tomphil

On 26/06/2019 at 19:51, Pedro said:

I thought it showed the Sunderland management team to be bellends. They gave him the contract and thought freezing him out of the picture would force him out and why they thought he should just cancel his contract is beyond me.

Take the blue and white blinkers off and try to cope less.

They gave him the contract with the expectation that he would conduct himself professionally. Not down tools and hide behind "muh depression". 

Edited by Amo

Just now, Amo said:

They gave him the contract with the expectation that he would conduct himself professionally. Not down tools and hide behind "muh depression". 

They were not playing him because they failed to ensure a clause was put in to protect themselves financially. They then tried to scapegoat him to get him out the club and forfeit a contract he would have been an idiot to rip up. Nothing to do with blue and white blinkers.

• Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

Christ. What a nobhead thing to say.

I agree the Rodwell situation like anything has two sides to every story but “muh depression?” Pure ignorance and stupid language around the single biggest killer of men under 45.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772

• Like 7

11 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Christ. What a nobhead thing to say.

I agree the Rodwell situation like anything has two sides to every story but “muh depression?” Pure ignorance and stupid language around the single biggest killer of men under 45.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48279772

Thats fine but he has to be clinically diagnosed as having depression. Then his employer has to be seen to be helping through that stage of depression and keeping open channels of communication between the two parties.

i never saw the programme so do not know if this was shown but from what Ive read neither side covered themselves in glory.

Rodwell is well within his rights to say he has to stay close to look at all his options but likewise if he had an intentions of resigning the least he could be doing is coming into Brockhall regularly not having an extended holiday.

I wanted to keep him but now the evidence is that he does not give two hoots about the club so we should be saying thanks but no thanks

14 hours ago, Amo said:

Nonsense. I don't wear blue and white blinkers.  I watched every episode and the club froze him out, bad-mouthed him and then spat their dummies out when he wouldn't walk away with a huge pay cut. I would have told them to get to fuck too.  Their fault for giving him the contract and employing crap managers.

• Like 3

Shows the terrible attitude he has towards the game. Doesn't matter how much ability you have if that's the attitude - get rid. 

I'm not even convinced he's that good at centre back which is where he wants to play. 

Poor attitude, poor in his preferred position, a poor injury record - why is he still an option? 

• Like 1

Just now, Blue blood said:

Shows the terrible attitude he has towards the game. Doesn't matter how much ability you have if that's the attitude - get rid. 

I'm not even convinced he's that good at centre back which is where he wants to play. 

Poor attitude, poor in his preferred position, a poor injury record - why is he still an option? 

It's like any walk of life -  Having the right attitude is everything. I used to train apprentices. I told them " I'm not overly bothered how bright you are, if your attitude is right I can turn you into an engineer, if your attitude isn't right I'm sorry but we're wasting each others time ".

• Like 3

Hopefully this ship has sailed to pastures new now.

His stint at Ewood won't have done him any harm if he fancies a gig abroad or something and he was handy at times last season but completely invisible in others.

No hard feelings either way if he doesn't come back.

• Like 6

Surely there is no room for him now? Not good enough at CB and we have brought in a couple of new players that can play his best position. I was really excited to see if he could become even half the player that brought him his big moves and an England cap. Thought he was treated harshly at Sunderland but starting to think that his application, desire and attitude shows that there was perhaps more to that story than meets the eye.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Be interesting to see where he ends up. I think he made a huge mistake for his own career not staying here, but I think Johnson is more the type of player that we need. 

His whole career has been one big mistake. From taking the money at the cost to his development at City through to the Sunderland debacle - he's not made many good choices. 

Personally am glad he has gone. Aot of question marks when he came and the answers we got weren't that encouraging. Much rather have a proper centre back then him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Blue blood said:

His whole career has been one big mistake. From taking the money at the cost to his development at City through to the Sunderland debacle - he's not made many good choices. 

Personally am glad he has gone. Aot of question marks when he came and the answers we got weren't that encouraging. Much rather have a proper centre back then him. 

Ya, I think his decision to dilly dally over our offer because he might have to actually fight for his place is poor. 

I can see him heading to America for an easy run. He would probably lord it over there for the New York Red bull football franchise 

• Like 1

On 28/06/2019 at 04:44, bluebruce said:

Nothing to do with him being obligated to do it, it's simply that getting yourself in shape when teams across the league are coming back for pre-season training seems an obvious thing to do for any true professional whether contracted or not, let alone one whose career, stock and fitness is in a precarious position. Yes yes, I know he has other offers, but if he has a bad season next year for us or whoever, he could easily find himself short on them in future as there are already a lot of question marks over him. I just think it's poor professionalism and I'm not impressed. It seems like something someone who has fallen out of love with the game and isn't motivated would do. If he's not, fine, just don't want him around anymore when I was already unsure whether he adds enough value.

Retire then. At least Bentley did that when he tired of being a corporate puppet.

• 2 weeks later...

I have absolutely no problem with Mowbray holding the door open for Rodwell.

Rodwell has had a rotten few years seeing his footballing dreams destroyed yet if he has been sensible with his money, he needn't ever work again in his life.

If his head and heart tell him he wants one more push at fulfilling his football potential, I'd massively prefer he does it at Rovers. He will find getting into the starting eleven a tough ask but we are talking about a player of 28 who was playing for England against Brazil when he was 22.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philipl said:

Rodwell has had a rotten few years seeing his footballing dreams destroyed yet if he has been sensible with his money, he needn't ever work again in his life.

If his head and heart tell him he wants one more push at fulfilling his football potential, I'd massively prefer he does it at Rovers. He will find getting into the starting eleven a tough ask but we are talking about a player of 28 who was playing for England against Brazil when he was 22.

I dont see many other clubs queuing up for him. 

This England international of six years ago would have been snapped up long ago if anyone believed he had the desire to 'fulfill his potential'. Fact is, he doesnt. Might have earned enough money to never work again but quite happy to take another million off us for a season.

Just retire mate, its quite obvious your love of the game has died and money has replaced that desire. 

• Like 1

I don't somehow think we'll see Rodwell again. Certainly not fussed about it. Thought he'd be a good influence on young players and give them something to look up to.

Can't see that he earned any respect really. Just wasting our time. Should be training hard now for a new season but he obviously isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I don't somehow think we'll see Rodwell again. Certainly not fussed about it. Thought he'd be a good influence on young players and give them something to look up to.

Can't see that he earned any respect really. Just wasting our time. Should be training hard now for a new season but he obviously isn't.

I'd have thought he’d be the last person you would want to influence young players. He seems to be a loner. Even on the pitch last season it was like he wasn’t one of them.

For all his faults, one thing Mowbray is good at is developing team spirit. If he couldn’t get through nobody can.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I'd have thought he’d be the last person you would want to influence young players. He seems to be a loner. Even on the pitch last season it was like he wasn’t one of them.

For all his faults, one thing Mowbray is good at is developing team spirit. If he couldn’t get through nobody can.

I was referring to his Premier League experience, his England caps and his reported massive wealth! I think that's what young players would be interested in these days."been then, done that"  "he can do it, so can I" sort of thing.

His character doesn't bear scrutiny as I've clearly implied.

14 hours ago, philipl said:

The fact he's on holiday in Australia when he has a contract offer on the table for him tells you everything you need to know, we should withdraw the offer and stop wasting our time with him. 

• Like 2

All I can think about this one is they must've offered him a piddling amount so it doesn't really matter much to the budget if he signs or not.

Or, shoch horror his agent or someone is very well it at Ewood with those that matter and there's a few drinks to be had.

Either way that offer should be off the table now too much nice guy stuff going on again, put the points first not the players.

• Like 1