BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

31 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I can't believe people are still discussing us to start with three at the back.

It has worked a couple of times as an option when chasing the game, thinking of Oldham at home and Portsmouth away last season.

Every time we have started with it though it looks like the players have never even met before let alone played that system.

We should be starting with the same system that has worked so well for nearly 18 months now.

Fair enough, and I certainly wouldn't advocate changing it in the coming weeks, but clearly Tony is still looking at it as an option & I think the additions to the squad make it more viable than last year.

When we tried it in league one, typically the ball got as far as our midfield and the move died there. We have more, better players now, so it could easily bear some fruit imo. 

I disagree with playing 3 at the back. Every time we have attempted it, it ends up with effectively a back 5, and us having little to no threat going forward. You need brilliant central midfielders who can get up and down to play it well. All our CM players are defensive minded so can't play that role.

Mowbray saying that Mulgrew should be fit for saturday. 

7 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

True. Mulgrew missed another couple of games the last time Mogga said he was back in training iirc.

Was it ever confirmed what the injury was? The injury that kept him out for three games was his calf which are notorious for being difficult to heal the older you get.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can see this leading to a clash between Mulgrew and Mowbray. He shouldn't be going with the international team for every game. Needs to be some common sense when it comes to friendlies. I remember last season when he went off to Peru or Costa Rica was it a few days before we played Bradford. 

Mulgrews clearly got a strong desire to play for his country though. The games you mentioned were around the time that he was made captain for a few games. With the introduction of the Nations League, the intention is seemingly to remove wherever possible the notion of a friendly so Im not sure how you can apply this "common sense" and ask him to not play for his country. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

A back 3 of Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew does look strong with Bennett and Bell as wing backs does look good on paper. I think in 12 months time we will be 3 at the back majority of the games under Mowbray. But we will only see and down to signings. 

Maybe on paper but never on grass, thats the problem.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Mulgrews clearly got a strong desire to play for his country though. The games you mentioned were around the time that he was made captain for a few games. With the introduction of the Nations League, the intention is seemingly to remove wherever possible the notion of a friendly so Im not sure how you can apply this "common sense" and ask him to not play for his country. 

The nations league makes it more challenging for him to step out, but it's not just those games, there are friendlies too. The conversation needs to happen with McLeish. It's in everyone interests that he is fit as much as possible, for when it really matters.  

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16992421.rovers-boss-mowbray-gives-fitness-update-on-charlie-mulgrew/?ref=mac 

It sounds like there was some sensible conversations between McLeish, Mulgrew and Mowbary. 

Interesting quotes about Lenihan and Williams not being involved for Ireland. They probably picked up bad habits away with Ireland at the moment. Worst set up we have ever had, O'Neill is so clueless. He had James McLean left wing back with Williams on the bench, mad stuff. Cyrus Christie center midfield. The man has lost the plot. Better for Lenihan and Williams to focus on their club football at the moment too. 

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Maybe on paper but never on grass, thats the problem.

Has that back 5 ever played together?

I suspect Mowbray is working us towards playing that way. 

But Mowbray has played both systems this season..

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16992421.rovers-boss-mowbray-gives-fitness-update-on-charlie-mulgrew/?ref=mac 

It sounds like there was some sensible conversations between McLeish, Mulgrew and Mowbary. 

Interesting quotes about Lenihan and Williams not being involved for Ireland. They probably picked up bad habits away with Ireland at the moment. Worst set up we have ever had, O'Neill is so clueless. He had James McLean left wing back with Williams on the bench, mad stuff. Cyrus Christie center midfield. The man has lost the plot. Better for Lenihan and Williams to focus on their club football at the moment too. 

Are you Irish? Im not being rude btw but a genuine question..

Would you like to see O'Neill sack? If so, who would you like to see replace him? 

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are you Irish? Im not being rude btw but a genuine question..

Would you like to see O'Neill sack? If so, who would you like to see replace him? 

I am. 

He should have been sacked after the embarrassment against Denmark in the play-off, it's outrageous that him and Keane are still there. In the last year I have seen the worst performances of all time from them. The players clearly don't have a clue what the tactics are. The two of them are batting their eyelids at any Championship or Premier league club who looks in their direction, highly disrespectful.  We have Northern Ireland up next in a friendly and I am pretty sure they will beat us. It's embarrassing. 

Who would I like to see replace him? Who would want it. Chris Hughton would be my 1st choice, but I don't see why he would take it at this point. Realistically I would probably go for Michael O'Neill from Northern Ireland or the Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny. Some would want Mick MCarthy back, but I wouldn't. He had a good run in 2002, that ship has sailed. Big Sam would be good, but out of reach financially I would imagine. At lease he would play long ball football properly, O'Neill can't even get them doing that. Bad times. 

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

A back 3 of Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew does look strong with Bennett and Bell as wing backs does look good on paper. I think in 12 months time we will be 3 at the back majority of the games under Mowbray. But we will only see and down to signings. 

Harsh on Nyambe and Williams.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am. 

He should have been sacked after the embarrassment against Denmark in the play-off, it's outrageous that him and Keane are still there. In the last year I have seen the worst performances of all time from them. The players clearly don't have a clue what the tactics are. The two of them are batting their eyelids at any Championship or Premier league club who looks in their direction, highly disrespectful.  We have Northern Ireland up next in a friendly and I am pretty sure they will beat us. It's embarrassing. 

Who would I like to see replace him? Who would want it. Chris Hughton would be my 1st choice, but I don't see why he would take it at this point. Realistically I would probably go for Michael O'Neill from Northern Ireland or the Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny. Some would want Mick MCarthy back, but I wouldn't. He had a good run in 2002, that ship has sailed. Big Sam would be good, but out of reach financially I would imagine. At lease he would play long ball football properly, O'Neill can't even get them doing that. Bad times. 

Can I ask what are the current tactics and have they change over his term? I didn't see the Wales game. 

I don't know Stephen Kenny at all so cant comment at all. But I think Sam Allardyce would give you structure and a balance to the team. Don't know about the money side. 

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can I ask what are the current tactics and have they change over his term? I didn't see the Wales game. 

I don't know Stephen Kenny at all so cant comment at all. But I think Sam Allardyce would give you structure and a balance to the team. Don't know about the money side. 

We seem to have lost the appetite to press and close down. The players have zero confidence on the ball. Won't take opponents on, nobody making runs. We were good at set pieces, now we are shit. It seems O'Neill and Keane have lost the dressing room. It's incredible they haven't been sacked. Recent stories about Keane behaviour would be shocking if it was about anyone else. 

O'Neill won't play form players, Doherty from wolves was sub for the last 3 games, makes no sense. He won't shut up about us missing Robbie Keane, move on man. Rice clearly doesn't want anything to do with it, like Grealish before and I can't blame either of them 

We haven't had a team of players from mostly top English clubs since the early 90s. Those days are gone, but we still have a squad of mostly Premier league and championship players. It's the management that is the issue. I can't see him lasting much longer. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We seem to have lost the appetite to press and close down. The players have zero confidence on the ball. Won't take opponents on, nobody making runs. We were good at set pieces, now we are shit. It seems O'Neill and Keane have lost the dressing room. It's incredible they haven't been sacked. Recent stories about Keane behaviour would be shocking if it was about anyone else. 

O'Neill won't play form players, Doherty from wolves was sub for the last 3 games, makes no sense. He won't shut up about us missing Robbie Keane, move on man. Rice clearly doesn't want anything to do with it, like Grealish before and I can't blame either of them 

We haven't had a team of players from mostly top English clubs since the early 90s. Those days are gone, but we still have a squad of mostly Premier league and championship players. It's the management that is the issue. I can't see him lasting much longer. 

Definitely think that O'Neill is a dinosaur, but I do also think that the squad is so poor. He did argue the other day that he is dealing with largely a squad of Championship players, often in and out at their clubs and he is correct.

Would argue that with their Celtic core of Tierney, Forrest, McGregor, Griffiths and also Robertson and Cairney, Scotland have a far better playing squad, although their manager is possibly even worse.