BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

28 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Did it?

I just thought it showed someone who was unwilling to give up his perfectly valid contract that his club had promised him?

Whilst being a lazy fecker who refused to play.

• Backroom

I noted last season that Rodwell seems to be the type of player who is alright when things are going well, but has no impact on a game that is going the wrong way. I'd have no problem with him moving on. 

• Like 4

Let's be honest - if he was full on pro mode then we wouldn't have a chance. Half arsed on right money playing 25 games is still better than a lot of what we have had. Not to underestimate what that extra quality is worth in training IF it pushes the kids to improve their technique...

• Like 1

How many twenty grand per week player coaches do we need for these kids ?

They'll all have one each at this rate although i'm not sure what a half arsed attitude actually contributes in terms of influence or role model !

Lets just get the best first 11 we can possibly get, cut away chaff and put the money to better use and go from there instead of telling players they can stay if they want or go if they want we aren't really arsed but we'll pay you all the same.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

How many twenty grand per week player coaches do we need for these kids ?

They'll all have one each at this rate although i'm not sure what a half arsed attitude actually contributes in terms of influence or role model !

Lets just get the best first 11 we can possibly get, cut away chaff and put the money to better use and go from there instead of telling players they can stay if they want or go if they want we aren't really arsed but we'll pay you all the same.

Who else in the squad has the quality and experiences of Rodwell??

Appreciate your point but he improves the technical ability of the team/squad. Attitude - sure use him as an example of what can happen to your career if you stop pushing... J Lo was perobably a great role model ?

Just now, Roverthechimp said:

Appreciate your point but he improves the technical ability of the team/squad. Attitude - sure use him as an example of what can happen to your career if you stop pushing... J Lo was perobably a great role model ?

Stewart Downing

• Like 1

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Stewart Downing

Incredible to think that Downing is almost 10 years older.

I think Rodwell has a lot more quality than Downing but just doesn’t seem to have the attitude. I guess if he did, he wouldn’t be at Rovers though.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

He was to any young player who thought he could make a career on the ability to run around a lot. If Rodwell had Jlowes engine or Jlowe had Rodwells touch....they still wouldn't be much good.

Let's just have a proper midfielder instead.

The more I think about this, the more it kind of perplexes me that he hasn't signed. Of course it is up to him to weigh up his options and that is his prerogative , but I think he owes us the respect to make his mind up a few days earlier so he could be part of the trip to Austria. 

He is clearly unsure if this is the place for him. 

We took him when nobody else would touch him, so this doesn't go down to well at all. Looked a cut above at times but uninterested in others (and not a CB) but to not make your mind up and take an extended holiday while the rest of the players are reporting for duty shows a big lack of respect.

• Backroom
55 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The more I think about this, the more it kind of perplexes me that he hasn't signed. Of course it is up to him to weigh up his options and that is his prerogative , but I think he owes us the respect to make his mind up a few days earlier so he could be part of the trip to Austria. 

He is clearly unsure if this is the place for him. 

Personally I would already have rescinded the offer. He obviously has talent, but not enough to treat him like some kind of special case. If he'd rather be on holiday than with the squad preparing for the season then thanks and good luck elsewhere. He didn't have enough impact last season to warrant anything else.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 5

Ya, I think it is disappointing. 

I am not sure what he is looking for or hoping to get, but if he signs for another Championship club he won't just be walking into their team. Then you have his injury record and the whole Sunderland saga. 

I expected him to sign up early and knuckle down with a season under his belt.

Even if he signs now I will be a bit "meh" and he will have even more to do on the pitch to show he wants to be here. 

I hope he's looking a properties in Italy while away on holiday. I have absolutely no time for him and I hope he does not return to our club. A couple of decent displays last season are outweighed by the amount of shocking defensive displays the team put in while he was at centre back. 

For such an injury prone player you think he would be more focused on getting himself fit in pre season, rather than tarting himself around to the highest bidder?

• Like 2

Just now, kingofkerimoglu said:

I hope he's looking a properties in Italy while away on holiday. I have absolutely no time for him and I hope he does not return to our club. A couple of decent displays last season are outweighed by the amount of shocking defensive displays the team put in while he was at centre back. 

For such an injury prone player you think he would be more focused on getting himself fit in pre season, rather than tarting himself around to the highest bidder?

When we signed him I had high hopes that Rodwell still wanted to play and would seize the chance at Rovers to resurrect his career.

It turned out to be yet another experiment to convert a player into something else, which Rodwell apparently also wanted to do.

It failed and I'm surprised he was offered any further deal. I will not be upset to see him move on.

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

When we signed him I had high hopes that Rodwell still wanted to play and would seize the chance at Rovers to resurrect his career.

It turned out to be yet another experiment to convert a player into something else, which Rodwell apparently also wanted to do.

It failed and I'm surprised he was offered any further deal. I will not be upset to see him move on.

Same here; I thought it was an inspired signing at the time. Oh well!

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

I thought he played well in his couple of apps in central midfield. 

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I thought he played well in his couple of apps in central midfield. 

He was better there. I don't think he wanted a position that involves a lot of running or tackling although he can pass a ball. Indeed I don't think he fancies the 'physical' side of the game too much, which makes CB an odd choice

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Like one or two others he disappeared or stood hands on hips when things weren't going well but looked a cut above occasionally when they were. There's about 3 who do that regularly it's up to the rest of the team to carry them week in week out rather than them leading by example and we can't carry many luxury players.

What would the wages of him, Mulgrew, Evans and now Downing add up to each week over a season ?