BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rodwell signs

Know one is really trying to justify the signing - its a low-cost gamble for a signing and even that that has divided us fans. Doesnt do the job he will be offski, proves to be decent and he might get a better contract.

We are just trying to understand you guys viewpoint. We have a few hate figures here ourselves such as Bradley Whore, Leon Guest and that fckin mug Danny Murphy who recently stated that he couldnt understand footballers not giving their all (after he came here on a  retirement package earning a shed load and did fck all until we had to pay him off). 

As I said to your other fan (you are both a well-mannered and put across good posts), i dont understand this losing record with him, i can understand pinning him as lazy, out of form, bad attitude or injury-prone but to blame losing all those matches on one player from a team of 11 just sounds ludicrous. 

Anyway, im just going down teritory I have already said with the other guy - so might just be easier to go and find that lol.

Good luck for the season - you will have great fun in League 1.

• Backroom
21 minutes ago, Mackemz said:

I know you guys will want to find a way to justify the signing.......

Wow, that's a pretty passionate response. Your deep rooted feelings towards the bloke ooze off the page.

Fair play to you, I've been there with players before.  Consider me officially worried then. 

The only solace I will take though, is that a couple of times you've mentioned attitude, cowardice, application etc.

And u don't doubt there's some talent there right? He can play a bit.

So, IF, our manager could wave a magic wand and change the attitude and heart, that's a decent player at a bargain price right?!

Yes, that's probably just me, your cliche football fan, trying to think the best all the time. (It's the hope that kills you)

But it does happen on occasion, a player just not being right at a club, but thriving at another. 

Here's hoping. Tell you what, would be a major feather in the cap for ToMo if he did somehow revive the lads career. 

24 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

As I said to your other fan (you are both a well-mannered and put across good posts), i dont understand this losing record with him, i can understand pinning him as lazy, out of form, bad attitude or injury-prone but to blame losing all those matches on one player from a team of 11 just sounds ludicrous. 

He just sounds exactly like Jason Lowe.

Sorry lads but It’s a fan to fan appreciation here. I’m a Sunderland supporter and had to have my say about the Rodwell situation and you lot signing him for this season. The truth is that he never performed at all. He was always injured, poor or very good at going missing on the pitch and the worst signing we have ever made. His persona, body language and interviews ranked among the worst I’ve ever seen and Mowbray signing him after watching a few videos has got to be false news. Do hope he works out and let’s hope Mowbray ain’t paying much or anything for his services. Ask Man City fans about the bugga.

• Like 1

Every season it seems we have to sign at least one dud / Has been / Injury prone bad egg it's bizarre you have to wonder why similar clubs to us like PNE, Wigan etc don't follow the same path and get involved in all that rollocks.

Who are we doing a favour for this time .....?

Edited by tomphil

6 minutes ago, Biz said:

Well I was listening to the Sunderland fans opinions with a slight pinch of salt attitude but reading that along with speaking to some city season ticket holders I know im more pessimistic than I was when it was revealed he had signed. Like everyone else , benefit of the doubt and judge him in a rovers shirt and all that but the signs really don't look good which ever angle you try and look at it

42 minutes ago, imy9 said:

Aside from being a premier league champ, an England international and someone who has moved for 25 million pounds worth of transfer fees ;)

FFS.

He played three games for England 5 years ago!

He played 5 PL games when season MC won the league.

He moved for 25m because of... Man City. 15m to join them in a window when they spent 16m on Javi Garcia (Who??) and the rest when they sold him.

Let’s hope he can rediscover some of the form that he had at Everton because he has been ? since.

Trouble is he’s played an average of 9 games a season in the last 11 years.

If Tony can get a tune out of this lad. He will be the first!

48 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Well I was listening to the Sunderland fans opinions with a slight pinch of salt attitude but reading that along with speaking to some city season ticket holders I know im more pessimistic than I was when it was revealed he had signed. Like everyone else , benefit of the doubt and judge him in a rovers shirt and all that but the signs really don't look good which ever angle you try and look at it

Quite a few across some sites - the better ones being pre leaving for city, many seem to think he should’ve stayed as a Centreback.

Everton 2012;

http://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22660.0

I think it’s also unfair to compare to Whittingham, Gladwin et al - different level and age, much younger and a more sensible deal than Murphy.

His career up to the age 23 was never a fluke, no matter what people make of the last 4 years.

Just for Stuart;

4AF89289-1E29-4D88-9FBF-99F01DA265CB.jpeg

Edited by Biz

As TM says - judge him on the pitch - thats all we can do really. Up to the kid (not really a kid anymore) to prove the doubters wrong. This is either gonna be a masterstroke or at the minimum a low-level mistake. Cant see him displacing Mulgrew or Lenihan at Cb anyway.

The fact that we have a load of Mackems coming here does tell you that he has pissed them off royally and we have had plenty of hate figures ourselves in recent times. 

Be interesting how this plays out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, islander200 said:

BBC Lancashire Sport (@BBCLancsSport) Tweeted:
"It's time to press the restart button on his career"

#Blackburn head coach Tony Mowbray on the arrival of Jack Rodwell.

#Rovers #bbclancssport #bbcfootball https://t.co/nWYB8Jtdie

If anyone can get a tune out of this junk shop fiddle, it’s Mogga. Our dressing room cameraderie and never-say-die performances haven’t come from nowhere, they are the result of his man-management, which I think is Tony’s outstanding attribute.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Mackemz said:

Sunderland fan here. Trying to explain what to expect.

Complete lack of application. When he was on the pitch he had an ability to hide from the ball, to make himself unavailable for a pass, would rarely make a tackle, wouldn´t track runners, would not compete for a ball, no fight or will. He was a passenger. 

Welcome to the worst excuse for a professional footballer we have ever seen.

I seem to remember the Bayern Munich fans saying the same thing about Roque Santa Cruz who became a cult hero here at Ewood.  We at Rovers will always give someone a chance.

A professional footballer's career is very short; 10 to 15 years at best. From Rodwell's position, if he doesn't make it here he's finished. I hope Mogga is confident that Rodwell has truly had a change of attitude. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Doesn't have a low opinion of himself then - surely given his recent past a bit of humility and contrition would have been slightly more advisable and the better line would have been to say that he Didn't expect to walk straight into a team that did so well last season and he would have to fight for his place etc.

On a general note I don't really understand why many people don't want to take a relatively cheap punt on Chapman because he's had a couple of injuries, yet because we have actually signed Rodwell it's apparently now ok to completely disregard his injury record and if it Doesn't come off That's ok as well because it is supposedly a similarly cheap punt.

Its because we trust Mowbray!

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If anyone can get a tune out of this junk shop fiddle, it’s Mogga. Our dressing room cameraderie and never-say-die performances haven’t come from nowhere, they are the result of his man-management, which I think is Tony’s outstanding attribute.

Maybe if it was a junk shop saxophone

Sunderland fan in peace here.

Firstly I just want to wish you well for this season. Blackburn has been a side I’ve always had a bit of a soft spot for.  First kit I owned that wasn’t ours, bought from your club shop, and first non Sunderland game I attended  when I was about 10 years old.  Remember wanting Le Saux on the back of the shirt but the shop had run out and despite my dad wanting me to get Shearer I went with Sutton who had just signed for you, and considering where Shearer went after, turned out to be a great choice.  Wasn’t a bad season that year either.

Anyway, I’ve ummed and ahhed about posting on here, especially after a few others from our end have, but just wanted to add a little additional information that had been missed. I’ll try not to be too biased.

We signed Jack off the back of a fairly poor time at City.  He had shown some talent but mostly promise in his time at Everton but never seemed  to kick on at City and very rarely appeared for them, albeit in a talented squad.  This may have partly down to City needing to meet the English quota but injuries also played a major part.

When we signed him the majority of our fanbase were pleased with the transfer (although I did tongue in cheek question whether he would be able to remember what a football looked like).  All fans want to be positive about new signings and we are no different.  When Rodwell signed he stated he was rarely ever injured during his time at City (a statement he has repeated a number of times during his time with us - see the fictional Daily Mail article hat I will touch on later) which gave us confidence he would be fit to play and we were excited about the promise he had shown at Everton and thought we were the perfect chance for him to kick on.

When he signed, our manager stated he was signed as more of a box to box/attacking midfielder to add goals to the side.

He made his debut away to West Brom where he was awful. He could barely run, didn’t want the ball, sloppy passes etc. We put this down to little game time/no preseason (‘he just needs a preseason to see the best of him’ is now a recurring joke years down the line).

Form wise it didn’t really get any better from there. In fact, it got worse...and worse (although he did score a header v Man U early on - he’s not  too bad in the air).

He blamed not playing for city - a side who always has the ball - for his poor form, as he wasn’t used to chasing games.  He then blamed his mindset regarding previous injuries (despite claiming originally he was never injured at City). I think this is where a lot of his issues stem from. He’s often spoken to the local media and quotes from him usually come across as his game is affected due to him being scared of being injured, which has been touched in by a number of our managers since.

He started 37 games before featuring in a victory. Yes, this can’t all be down to him, but we were still picking up wins when he didn’t feature.  I remember one game in the cup when he was given 2 stupid yellow cards.  The second yellow was when he tried to slap the ball out of Fulhams keepers as he went to kick it out his hands.  Theres a gif somewhere on the internet of a game away to Chelsea where he camera shows him for around 20-30 seconds moving behind opposing players, while we have possession, and pointing in all directions so we wouldn’t pass to him (this was a recurring theme).  

Managers came and went and all (but Coleman who inherited him at his worst point at the club) initially gave him a chance before giving up on him (citing attitude and mindset) because he was, in all honesty, a complete liability when he wasn’t ‘injured’ which was nearly all the time.

After we were relegated he was he only player to remain on his full wage.  A lot has been said about his wage and how that maybe tainting our view on him, and without doubt in some cases it has.  That being said, a large proportion of our fanbase, including myself, don’t blame him for the wages he was getting (clubs fault), but we do blame him for his attitude and appalling disrespectful behavior.  He could have been paid £1000 a week and our feelings on him would still be the same.

After we got relegated Grayson gave him another chance which was not taken.  Grayson suggested Rodwell had mental issues and had asked him if he could play CB because he didn’t feel he was robust enough to play CM anymore. CB being a position he has never played professionally.  Grayson gave him a chance at CB in an under 23 game and he was again out of his depth and after ended up training with the reserves and not even making their squad for games.

Coleman came in and had a pretty turbulent time with him.  He stated on numerous occasions Rodwell was ‘missing’ and he ‘didn’t know where he was’.  Incidentally, our fans knew where he was as he was photographed playing in an arcade during one of our games.  

At this point Rodwell, and presumably his agent, decided to run that Daily Mail article I touched on earlier and have no doubt you will already be familiar with. In the article Rodwell makes a number of statements which are completely false:

- He states he hasn’t been injured and is ‘as fit as I’ve ever been’. You might remember this line from earlier. It was the exact line he gave us when we signed him after being injured most of his time at City.  There were reports from sources within the club that he was advising Coleman every Friday he had picked up an injury so he couldn’t be selected.

- He states he played regularly and well for Allardyce. Allardyce dropped him after a handful of games, like every other manager, because he was so poor.

- He states he’s an england international. Ok, not completely false but not within the last 5/6 years. He does tend to state this a lot (he may have done when he signed for you).  

- He states he wants to move to play football and it isn’t about the money. He rejected 3 offers of moves for first team football in January to stay with us and train with the reserves so it seems it was about the money. (Don’t blame him for that. Just don’t go on record and say the opposite for pity).

- He asks for pity because he has to drive to work in the dark in the middle of winter (seriously). Is there anyone who doesn’t do this on a daily basis?

After that Coleman called him out on this ‘fitness’ claim and put him in an under 23 game at CB where he was again completely out of depth, was at fault for a goal, and was never to be seen again.

So in summary, during his time with us when Jack wasn’t injured, worried about being injured,  trying to regain fitness, telling the world he wasn’t injured, refusing to play, looking out of depth v kids, playing games in arcades and asking for pity for driving to work in the dark, he was very, very poor losing nearly every game he featured in (bar one game away to Man City where he played well in DM in a park the bus game where his role was not to leave our 18 yard D in a game I don’t think we left our half - and lost).  

I saw another poster compare him to Milton Nunez. Milton Nunez wasn’t our worst signing. Ricky Alvarez has been our worst signing. If you aren’t familiar with that one, we took him on loan with a clause we had to buy him for about 12 million if we stayed up.  He played a handful of games and got injured. We stayed up and refused to sign him (despite the clause) and he ended up getting a free transfer to sampdoria and we ended up being forced by FIFA to pay Inter the 12 million plus court cost etc for him, despite not even having his registration. Rodwell  has been a worse signing than him.

Hope he rediscovers some sort of form he hasn’t been able to for the majority of his career but if not than thankfully he won’t be your problem next season 

• Like 2

This whole jack rodwell is quite amusing to be fair 

Personally think we should back any player we sign , regardless of their past

The guy clearly has talent for teams like man city to sign him, Sunderland are a shocking team and 2 relagations show that

Personally I don't think we have a lot to lose if it doesn't go right . Mowbray has said it isn't an expensive deal , and it's the guys last chance basically . If Mowbray gets this one right we could have a good player on our hands . Just give him a chance.  It's a one year deal . In Mowbray we trust 

I’ve read the comments from the Sunderland fans and really thank them for their input. We’ve had fans who come on with the one liner arsey posts but these guys have all come on and been articulate and civil and actually wanted to get their point across. So thank you guys, it’s appreciated.

Its hard to read such reasoned posts and not be filled with dread. I’ve gone from the ‘he needs a second chance’ ‘he was an England international’ ‘they don’t like him due to the wages’ camp to the ‘oh no, what have we done’ camp.

Im a football fan so obviously I’m gong to be hoping that we can buck the trend and get a note out of him but the comments, and particularly the last posters comments obviously concern me massively.

Lets hope and pray he’s not the dud they see him as.

• Like 5

These Sunderland lads are giving us all a lesson in how to use a football forum. Some very well articulated posts even if the content is very concerning. Thanks gents.

Sounds like Rodwell has lost the plot. Despite everyone saying it’s a cheap deal, this is a huge gamble for Mowbray. A plant pot who can no longer cut it could very much upset the dressing room.

The only hope is that because he was so disliked at Sunderland he was afraid to play. Not sure if he was booed whenever he had the ball? But that doesn’t excuse him being a crap footballer, given the money. He just sounds like one of those players who epitomises “everything that’s wrong with modern day football “.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stuart said:

FFS.

He played three games for England 5 years ago!

He played 5 PL games when season MC won the league.

He moved for 25m because of... Man City. 15m to join them in a window when they spent 16m on Javi Garcia (Who??) and the rest when they sold him.

Let’s hope he can rediscover some of the form that he had at Everton because he has been ? since.

Trouble is he’s played an average of 9 games a season in the last 11 years.

If Tony can get a tune out of this lad. He will be the first!

Guess the wink at the end didn't work hey...

1. He played for England at international level, meaning he performed at premier league level consistently enough to be called up and play three times.

2. Yes he did play 5 games but contributed enough to win a premier league medal.

3. He moved for 25 million because of City? Well he signed for Sunderland for 10 million too... Javi Garcia is/was an excellent footballer (googled to check his whereabouts, he is at Real Betis, playing consistently for a team that finished 6th last year).

I agree Stuart he has been poo since, no doubt. My point is that he has been an elite player who is currently on 27. Having seen him play on numerous occasions for Everton, he always looked like a Rolls Royce footballer, Jason Lowe has never been or ever will be! 

If Tony can get 50 per cent of Rodwell this season then that is someone who will be more than good enough to get into this team and play at championship level, all for a low wage, end of the season deal.

9 hours ago, Biz said:

Quite a few across some sites - the better ones being pre leaving for city, many seem to think he should’ve stayed as a Centreback.

Everton 2012;

http://www.nsno.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=22660.0

I think it’s also unfair to compare to Whittingham, Gladwin et al - different level and age, much younger and a more sensible deal than Murphy.

His career up to the age 23 was never a fluke, no matter what people make of the last 4 years.

Just for Stuart;

4AF89289-1E29-4D88-9FBF-99F01DA265CB.jpeg

In two weeks we’ve gone from Brereton on £8m to no strikers and bringing in a free / damaged CB cover.

If it hadn’t been for Rothwell then this would have been a stinker of a window.

It’s all well and good ‘relaxing’ or ‘trusting Tony’ but it’s becoming a bit of a cop out.

If we don’t sign anyone the #trusttony movement will blame the market and say he was “right to not bow down to Forest and risk FFP”. If we spend £8m plus add ons, it’ll still be the market and it will be “a great deal - given the sell on”.

Just now, imy9 said:

Guess the wink at the end didn't work hey...

1. He played for England at international level, meaning he performed at premier league level consistently enough to be called up and play three times.

2. Yes he did play 5 games but contributed enough to win a premier league medal.

3. He moved for 25 million because of City? Well he signed for Sunderland for 10 million too... Javi Garcia is/was an excellent footballer (googled to check his whereabouts, he is at Real Betis, playing consistently for a team that finished 6th last year).

I agree Stuart he has been poo since, no doubt. My point is that he has been an elite player who is currently on 27. Having seen him play on numerous occasions for Everton, he always looked like a Rolls Royce footballer, Jason Lowe has never been or ever will be! 

If Tony can get 50 per cent of Rodwell this season then that is someone who will be more than good enough to get into this team and play at championship level, all for a low wage, end of the season deal.

So let's ignore Mack the Lad's post above, somebody whose a first-hand witness as to how Rodwell has played and behaved over several years in favour of believing what we want to believe eh?

Bit like Climate Change or Brexit it seems to me.

• Like 2