BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Brentford

Brentford were good, there's no denying that. They were far better than Reading and Millwall at passing the ball around in a way that opened up both flanks. Bell and Nyambe had to be on their game. There won't be many matches where they don't score and we had to work incredibly hard to keep them out. What was pleasing is that we looked so solid (crew) defensively. I'd be surprised if Brentford aren't in the top 6 and I doubt many teams will to come to Ewood and move us around like that. We dominated Millwall and Reading for large parts of those games (and Hull and Ipswich by all accounts) but we didn't really come close yesterday. Still won mind, which owes a lot to Mowbray's tactics and the work rate of the team.

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

Brentford were good, there's no denying that. They were far better than Reading and Millwall at passing the ball around in a way that opened up both flanks. Bell and Nyambe had to be on their game. There won't be many matches where they don't score and we had to work incredibly hard to keep them out. What was pleasing is that we looked so solid (crew) defensively. I'd be surprised if Brentford aren't in the top 6 and I doubt many teams will to come to Ewood and move us around like that. We dominated Millwall and Reading for large parts of those games (and Hull and Ipswich by all accounts) but we didn't really come close yesterday. Still won mind, which owes a lot to Mowbray's tactics and the work rate of the team.

T T T T twenty one seconds 

Thank you for bringing that banger back into my life. 

3 minutes ago, AggyBlue said:

Great three points won through grit and determination.

Although there was a lack of quality from us, I really enjoyed the match.

Only place there was a lack of quality was final third. Bearing in mind the injuries we had in the forward line then that is understandable.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Odd when you need to defend a lead that you decide to not bring on a sub that you were going to bring on

Caddis was still sat down when Graham indicated to Mowbray that Evans was injured and needed to be subbed. I don't think Tony had realised this but immediately turned to Travis and he was on before play restarted - I think play stopped when Rothwell got clattered in our half?? At first I was surprised but then saw it as positive Tony reacted so quickly to comment from probably the club's senior and most influential player.

Far better to defend in midfield than bring on another defender.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

They'll be in and around the play offs at very best

In which case I'll be disappointed if we don't meet them in the playoffs. If Brentford are as strong in this division as people suggest, this is the first time I've seen then, I believe Rovers have every chance of matching their league position. Brentford only finished 9th with 69 points.

Personally I feel Villa, Boro, Derby, Leeds, WBA, Swansea and perhaps Forest or Norwich are going to show us our real position. Those are the days I'll feel nervous as we come down LBR.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul said:

Caddis was still sat down when Graham indicated to Mowbray that Evans was injured and needed to be subbed. I don't think Tony had realised this but immediately turned to Travis and he was on before play restarted - I think play stopped when Rothwell got clattered in our half?? At first I was surprised but then saw it as positive Tony reacted so quickly to comment from probably the club's senior and most influential player.

Far better to defend in midfield than bring on another defender.

I agree about defending further up the pitch. It makes the original idea of Caddis, who has hardly had a kick in 6 months, even more strange.

Also odd that Mowbray hadn't spotted Evans. He had been crouched down struggling even in the first half. He lasted longer than I thought and hopefully taking off was precauitionary.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miker said:

Tbf it was our first choice team last season minus Dack and Armstrong. It was the bench that was scary.

This season is all about securing a comfortable finish in the Championship, but you can’t help dream of a push for a play off spot.

Looking at our team, we have a combination of highly rated young players (Rothwell, Palmer, Armstrong, Davenport), Rovers academy graduates who look like they can make it at the top level (Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan), recently capped internationals (Mulgrew, Williams, Evans) and experienced leaders (Bennett, Graham, Conway, even Smallwood). Not to mention the best left back in League One last season (Bell) and the best player in League One last season (Dack).

On top of that we have decent cover in Downing, Rodwell and Samuel and some decent young players coming through the academy (although I expect players like Nuttall and Travis to go out on loan.

Looks like we are bringing in 2 more highly rated young players in Brereton and Reed.

That looks like a really promising and exciting team to me... especially given our start.

Nuttall yes, if not permanent.  Travis I think should stay here and be in and around the squad.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Paul said:

Personally I feel Villa, Boro, Derby, Leeds, WBA, Swansea and perhaps Forest or Norwich are going to show us our real position. Those are the days I'll feel nervous as we come down LBR.

Part of me agrees with you Paul, and the other half says F them, we will start respecting teams when the beat us, until then we are Blackburn Rovers and we will out work every single team we come up against. Mowbray said, and I agree with, we look very solid, (except from the first half vs Reading, where Lenihan had an absolute shocker). Once we get the boys back we will be better going forward. In the words of McCauley Culkin 'I'm not afraid anymore'. We were a dreadful team last time in the championship with a terrible manager. This is different.

Add Davenport, Dack, Armstrong and Brereton, and  a wide player with pace, and we should look a lot better going forward. 

What a nice change it is to have two good full backs.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Mowbray quote: 

‘The manner of it - playing against a really good football team. A team that I'm pretty sure will finish in the top six, if not in the top two, come the end of the season. 

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very good win against a very good team who I expect to be challenging for top6/2. 

Be great to hear your opinion on Brentford rather than Mowbrays.

Edited by Ricky
  • Like 4

On 25/08/2018 at 10:48, barry_ said:

I'll be pleasantly surprised to see Dack play.

Nuttall was being spoke of as a starter last season and he's bulked out a bit so i wouldn't mind seeing him given game time (he can't be any worse than Samuel)

Difficult afternoon.

awful game.

I was disappointed with Nuttall.

This was his opportunity to make an impact and he was awful.

Couldn't hold the ball up.

Didn't track back.

Didn't put a challenge in (running by the side of a player who has just dispossessed him?!)

His chance missed.

I like Rothwell as a starter but he's not a winger and he just couldn't drifting into the middle and leaving the lhs exposed.

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Part of me agrees with you Paul, and the other half says F them, we will start respecting teams when the beat us, until then we are Blackburn Rovers and we will out work every single team we come up against. Mowbray said, and I agree with, we look very solid, (except from the first half vs Reading, where Lenihan had an absolute shocker). Once we get the boys back we will be better going forward. In the words of McCauley Culkin 'I'm not afraid anymore'. We were a dreadful team last time in the championship with a terrible manager. This is different.

Add Davenport, Dack, Armstrong and Brereton, and  a wide player with pace, and we should look a lot better going forward. 

What a nice change it is to have two have good full backs.

I completely agree with you. I may not have chosen my words very well re Villa, Boro etc. I don't mean they will show us our real position or put us in our place like little upstarts. I meant the matches against these sides would show us our position and strength relative to sides some would suggest are better placed to challenge for promotion. I didn't mean to put the club down.

We deserved our promotion, the promoted side has so far shown it is good enough to compete in the Championship. There may be a concern over strength in depth but yesterday began to disprove this, there is no way Brentford could be considered a better team than the one we put out. Yes we lacked creativity but were solid, worked very hard, didn't concede late and took pretty much our only chance. A tried and tested recipe many have lauded on here - but when talking about other teams!!!!

I think we need to strengthen for a sustained challenge but as we stand I'm very confident of top 10 and even sneaking in to sixth. Hell Preston finished 7th and I hear no one raving about them. Millwall and Brentford, 8th and 9th, couldn't beat us.

I'm full of confidence in the team, manager and club. No question about it.

If Tony really fancies Brentford, I think there's an element of talking things up, he must feel very good about his Rovers side.

• Like 1

Didn't see the match but from the reports on here and elsewhere it seems like Rovers got the point through their work rate and effort rather than their ability. It feels from the reports that a draw would have been a fairer result, but after edging the last 2 home games vs Millwall and Reading and not getting the points despite edging them, I wouldn't consider this a "lucky" 3 points. These things even out over time. 

It's really good that we can work so  hard - there will be a fair number of teams where we'll need to take this approach. It also shows that there is a key role for Smallwood in these kind of games, whilst it is very gratifying to see Raya and Lenihen put in good performances, getting the Reading game quickly out of their system. 

Worries are that the squad is far lighter than it should be. Personally I'd have Nuttall and Travis nowhere near the team - not due to a lack of talent, but as a year of more regular football in league 1 could be the making of them. It certainly was the making of Nayambe, and feel both of these should be on loan to follow a similar development. Factor in the likes of Whittingham, Caddis, Conway etc. in the squad and there's a lot of reshuffling to do to the squad or injuries could really hurt us. 

Most of all the game shows me how close and tight the championship is - we dominated Reading and couldn't win, Brentford arguably were the better footballing team and couldn't win, this is a close, close league. The rest of the championship results this week also showed this with a number of weaker clubs getting victories. With this in mind, regardless of where we finish, as another poster said, these points are gold dust and set us up nicely for a bid for survival/or charge up the table.

Getting the home league win off our back too, will also be a positive. 

An unexpected but welcome 3 points. Long may it continue. 

Great result considering the 18 we had to work with today. If Hart, Downing, Caddis and Nuttall are that close to the team (and it's still August) we need to fix that.

Surprised no-one has commented that prior to Rothwell winning the ball for the pass leading to the goal it looked like Smallwood committed a clear foul on half way which we probably got away with. Their manager was livid... though plenty happened between that and the goal so that's probably why it wasn't made a huge deal of.

Besides two shots from outside the box well saved from Raya either side of our goal, I find these Brentford opinions of us parking the bus staggering, as for my eyes they conceded a goal and proceeded to pass it between their back 4 and keeper for 40 minutes, hence their 60%+ possession.

Mulgrew and Lenihan haven't had an easier game in 6 months, and probably won't all season. I was at the game but I believe the (un-biased) guy on SSN declared the game over at 1-0 with 20+ mins to go, and on reflection it's hard to disagree as Brentford offered nowt... due to the immense high pressure Bennett and co put on.

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1