BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Confession Box - opinions you had which were wrong

Ooijer's debut was terrible. He did get better though and turned out to be a good buy.

I honestly thought I could see something the first time I saw Samba, he was raw but he had the size, speed and determination. Another one who went backwards when he left. I rated Nzonzi the first time I saw him also. Good touch for a big guy and he was a big unit.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

After 2 weeks of that tosser kean , we'd had a couple of ok results and I told my dad I liked the "cut of his jib".........

If I'd been your Dad I'd have cut off your jib there and then! :D

• Like 1

Great idea for a thread. We have all got numerous things wrong. Anyone implying they haven't, or only got one thing wrong, is an utter liar. I feel I get a lot more right than wrong, but I will confess (the others have reminded me of a few, as some were very common thoughts at the time)...

I was underwhelmed by the Mowbray appointment.

I didn't see the point in signing Friedel. I was then convinced he would never leave, especially for money, and bled blue and white.

Thought Whittingham and Murphy would do well dropping a league after good seasons in higher ones.

I was uneasy about signing Bellamy for 6 million. Wasn't sold on a Rudy Gestede who had never been a frequent scorer either.

This Wednesday I was convinced that, 2-0 down against Reading, with all our best attackers gone, no way were we getting anything from the game.

At one point last season I called Raya a show pony who was great with saves for the camera but ropey on the basics and that would cost us. On balance he got a lot more right last season than wrong and is improving all the time so i'll hold my hand up.

Never had anything against him I just didn't think he was ready and it was a daft risk but you can only improve and learn with games and he's doing that.

Apart from the obvious recent ones like Evans and Graham...

Away at PNE, Lambert’s first game. A proper, proven manager.

I got myself all hyped up and thought we’d surely be knocking on the door of the play offs.

We had Akpan in midfield, Steele in the nets, Delfinho on the bench and Fode Koita up front.

I was drunk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Being the eternal optimist, I have crashed and burned more times than I care to remember. One that stands out for me is when in conversation with my brother, I said that I was confident that the quiet, self depricating Duffer wouldn't want to leave his tranquil Oswaltwistle home (did he even live there?) for the bright lights and noise of the Kings Road. Imagine my surprise when the next thing I see on SSN is him at an airport legging it away from the rest of the Rovers squad who were preparing to fly out on a pre season tour, so he could catch a taxi to Stamford Bridge. 

You weren't totally wrong. My daughter, who worked at the pub opposite his house in Hurst Green, asked him just before he made the move, ' are you actually going to Chelsea' to which he replied, 'I don't think so' 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

You weren't totally wrong. My daughter, who worked at the pub opposite his house in Hurst Green, asked him just before he made the move, ' are you actually going to Chelsea' to which he replied, 'I don't think so' 

We were having a meal with another family in that same Hurst Green pub, the weekend he came back from Chelsea-with the decision apparently still in the air.

We all saw him jogging past the window and began talking about whether he would go to Chelsea etc

A few minutes later, my eldest left the room for several minutes. When he returned, his mum asked him where he had been. He replied he had just posted a note through Damien's door.

Cue maternal messages about respecting Damien's privacy etc, followed by the inevitable question about what was actually in the note.

He said he had written, "We love you at Rovers, Damien. Please don't go."

Now this was met with a collective "ahhh" from all the females at the table. .

A second later he whispered in my ear,.. "but if you are reading this, as a Chelsea b****, ....you can f*** off!"

Years later, I am still not sure whether he was joking!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Contracts up soon, right?

Not just me then?

6 hours ago, StaffordRover said:

Being the eternal optimist, I have crashed and burned more times than I care to remember. One that stands out for me is when in conversation with my brother, I said that I was confident that the quiet, self depricating Duffer wouldn't want to leave his tranquil Oswaltwistle home (did he even live there?) for the bright lights and noise of the Kings Road. Imagine my surprise when the next thing I see on SSN is him at an airport legging it away from the rest of the Rovers squad who were preparing to fly out on a pre season tour, so he could catch a taxi to Stamford Bridge. 

Duff lived in digs on the Knuzden estate before he bought a house in Hurst Green so yes technically Oswaldtwistle. 

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Herold Goulon

What on Earth was he all aboùt. Terrible terrible player. 

Im sure I’ve loads of these. Two that spring to mind, Salgado. Just couldn’t see it after his first few games with us. He went on to become a great player (which of course he was, you don’t play for Madrid for that long otherwise).  Nyambe. I’d have looked to replace his back in January. Since then he’s come on leaps and bounds. 

15 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Didn’t this happen before? Gets to the end of his contract and then plays a blinder for a while. Gets a new deal and reverts to type?

It has...

or if there is an international selection coming up... 

HANG ON A MINUTE

1 hour ago, bob fleming said:

What on Earth was he all aboùt. Terrible terrible player. 

Allardyce doing a favor for an agent?

I have loads of these, but the one that immediately comes to mind is that I though Grabbi might come good after all when he scored one or two times after he came back from a loan spell in Italy (?). 

• Backroom

A 7 year old me cried in Jersey when I found out we had sold Speedie and brought in Shearer, thought things just wouldn’t be the same!

i thought Fode Koita would be a great signing.

I thought Appleton and Darren Moore were a breath of fresh air at Ewood (to be fair he said all the right things)

Mowbray was reaching the end last October!

• Like 1