BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Confession Box - opinions you had which were wrong

I thought the Walker Trust had the right to sell the club to whomever they wanted. I think now that the protests should have started before Venkys got their hands on the club. We all knew there was something wrong with their buying it in the first place. Might not have changed anything but who knows? 

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

Amine Linganze

Herold Goulon

Jordan Slew

Myles Anderson

Edinho Junior

Paul Taylor

Chris Brown

There will be more...

Delfouneso is like a young Pele in comparison.

OK he's up there though! I was only joking anyway.

On another point, what a great thread.

I couldn't see why Mowbray deserved to be handed the Rovers job. His management record is mixed and he was shown the door by Coventry in League 2 in his last post. And then he got us relegated. 

In days gone by, I thought Speedie was a poor signing and Martin Britt was going to be the new Fred Pickering. 

11 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ooijer's debut was terrible. He did get better though and turned out to be a good buy.

I honestly thought I could see something the first time I saw Samba, he was raw but he had the size, speed and determination. Another one who went backwards when he left. I rated Nzonzi the first time I saw him also. Good touch for a big guy and he was a big unit.

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not me, Fowler was past it and Yorke couldn't be bothered.

Not sure you've understood the point of the topic. 

• Like 1

I sincerley thought Mowbray was a great appointment. I was gutted when we got rid of Bowyer in his fist stint- we had momentum, I feel he could and would have taken us up...

I remember feeling sick when we went from Zidane,  Bierhoff, Batistuta to Blake, Ward and Dailly...

I can't remember that many undwherlming signings: Etuhu, Murphy, DJ Campbell, Dann- How shite was he?  Davies.. Most of the others came in with no expectations really or reached what I expected..

Not to say we haven;t had some dreadful, dreaful players..

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not me, Fowler was past it and Yorke couldn't be bothered.

As a Trinidadian based rover I wish Dwight had done more for rovers.

Often get chatting to him when he's back on the rock here, he's currently doing his coaching badges in Dubai....

Anyway, I was watching the Venky owned Trinbago Knight Riders here a couple of weeks ago and Dwight was there with his mate Russel Latapy (now he was a player!). He told me Souness was the worst manager he played under - totally old school and a total disciplinarian. Souey got in a fight with him and Dunny in a 5 a side once and tried to break both of their legs. Said Tugay was the most gifted player he ever payed with and Gresko was a total lunatic. They were the days - I loved that team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2375067/Round-up-Souness-and-Yorke-clash.html

Anyway - I thought Rochina was going to be the next Xavi. Oops. Still wonder what he could have done in a decent side with a decent manager.

• Like 5

When we signed Howie Gayle in the mid/late 80s I thought he was a flash scouse git living on the reputation of one game in a European Cup semi final who would spoil what was a decent team spirit at Ewood at the time. I couldn’t have been more wrong about the fella.

• Like 2

• Backroom

I didn't think much of some Kiwi we signed from the MLS. Made worse his debut being at right back.

Turned out to be an unbelievable captain, leading a team already full of leaders and international captains.

Murphy and Etuhu definitely, thought they were just what we needed in midfield.

However, I was worried about Leon Best, he had scored one decent goal from what I remember and came across as a right prick.

Christ, with all those Portugezzers too, what a debacle that summer was

Edited by Mattyblue

Like others have said there’s loads I could put, but a couple that stand out...

Back in the summer of 95 I was convinced that Kenny moving to DoF was no big deal and that things would continue pretty much just as they were, with Kenny in overall charge and Harford running training. 

I was disappointed by the signing of Stephen Warnock - I thought we should be going for more proven players rather than a youngster who’d never really played in the Prem. I was very definitely wrong on that one 

And, finally, I was delighted when the Dingles got Dyche as manager. I thought he was a terrible manager who would take them down

13 hours ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Felt sick at Smallwood.. Turned out to be a great signing..

I think we've spoilt generally though..

Smallwood was one of mine.  Couldn't see him cutting it, as he wasn't doing well in a poor Rotherham side at Champ level.  

Did great last year!  That said, still don't think he's championship quality.

Rothwell is the one from this season.  Again, based on his record at Oxford, didn't see the point.  Looks like he could prove me well wrong!

One that sticks in my memory is how excited I was when we signed De Pedro. Genuinely thought we were getting an absolute worldie who could've been playing for anyone in the country. Much less bothered about the comparatively unheralded signing of MGP that summer.

Championship manager has a lot to answer for!

I feel really ashamed of this one and I know it's a mortal sin.

Back in 2011, I never did any message boards/facebook etc and still relied on the LT and Radio Lancs(Jesus!!!) for my Rovers news.

Of course, I was worried about Venky's, but I had no idea about any of the really bad stuff behind the scenes.

I had  challenged some people sitting near me during that famous Arsenal game, asking them not to boo during a match-we needed to get behind the players, needed the points etc. 

Later, I saw a guy selling one of those black and gold protest scarves. In  my hideous, self righteous arrogance, I approached him and asked sarcastically,

"If I wear one of these scarves, does it mean I will have to boo, when my team score?"(Eek)

I am truly sorry....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

As a Trinidadian based rover I wish Dwight had done more for rovers.

Often get chatting to him when he's back on the rock here, he's currently doing his coaching badges in Dubai....

Anyway, I was watching the Venky owned Trinbago Knight Riders here a couple of weeks ago and Dwight was there with his mate Russel Latapy (now he was a player!). He told me Souness was the worst manager he played under - totally old school and a total disciplinarian. Souey got in a fight with him and Dunny in a 5 a side once and tried to break both of their legs. Said Tugay was the most gifted player he ever payed with and Gresko was a total lunatic. They were the days - I loved that team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2375067/Round-up-Souness-and-Yorke-clash.html

Anyway - I thought Rochina was going to be the next Xavi. Oops. Still wonder what he could have done in a decent side with a decent manager.

I wonder if Souey thinks Dwight is one of the laziest arseholes he ever managed ?

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I wonder if Souey thinks Dwight is one of the laziest arseholes he ever managed ?

I don't think lazy was ever Dwight's issue - Fergie said he trained harder than most. Or ability. I think his problem was his lifestyle and the ensuing crap it came with.

He played CM in the 2006 WC and was an absolute beast,  a real athlete.

Just now, Trinidad Rover said:

I don't think lazy was ever Dwight's issue - Fergie said he trained harder than most. Or ability. I think his problem was his lifestyle and the ensuing crap it came with.

He played CM in the 2006 WC and was an absolute beast,  a real athlete.

Watching him week in week out you often got the feeling you wanted to see more from him but he was that type of striker, a lurker. His ability was never in doubt I thought he was a class player and yes the pure playboy lifestyle won't have done him any favours he was probably a bit tired in the day job ?

I thought that Kean would keep Rovers in the Premier League the season he took us down.

I'm usually way off on England predictions.

I also said that Burnley would struggle to win another game toward the back end of last season. They promptly won 4 or 5 in a row.