BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS vs Lincoln

Lincoln board...

"Of course, Blackburn are Championship promotion contenders and remain unbeaten this season"

"While Blackburn made 6 changes themselves, it was still clearly a strong Championship line up"

Can you imagine what they would think if we had had Armstrong, Dack playing?!?!?

They cannot truly believe that Caddis would get into any Championship side?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Good post although I’d say that’s an extremely harsh summary of Nuttall. Not even any credit for scoring the opener. He actually showed some good spells last night but like Caddis he had a lot of minuses. Non-league? Come on...

I agree about Palmer though. He appears to have quick feet but there are times when the ball gets stuck under them and he looks very ungainly in trying to get the ball back under control. Some of his decision making also leaves a lot to be desired.

Lewis is a good shout for MoM but I’d have given it to Conway personally. Did we actually award one on the night?

Never heard it be announced or the attendance for that matter. Conway, nyambe and Travis where the three that stood out. Tough call , all three were top draw.

Ok he scored I can't take that away from him nor would I want to. I truly believe that is his level and after leaving here and warming another bench lower down the league that's where he will find his level. His own self doubt was evident last night. He is a very poor player imo. I guess only time will tell the level he ends up playing. 

5 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Never heard it be announced or the attendance for that matter. Conway, nyambe and Travis where the three that stood out. Tough call , all three were top draw.

Ok he scored I can't take that away from him nor would I want to. I truly believe that is his level and after leaving here and warming another bench lower down the league that's where he will find his level. His own self doubt was evident last night. He is a very poor player imo. I guess only time will tell the level he ends up playing. 

Attendance came up on score board near the end but not announced. No man of the match last night. Do they have one for cup matches?

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for reply. 

Wasnt there last night so cant comment. 

Can you explain what was so pleasing about their performances please? Thanks

For Grayson, he seemed composed and did the simple stuff but also not pointless booting.

For Butterworth, he was a live wire, sort of like Travis if you know what I mean. Energy, buzzing.

And I meant I have been tracking them in the U23s, Butterworth more than handles his roles in those games.

1 hour ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

For Grayson, he seemed composed and did the simple stuff but also not pointless booting.

For Butterworth, he was a live wire, sort of like Travis if you know what I mean. Energy, buzzing.

And I meant I have been tracking them in the U23s, Butterworth more than handles his roles in those games.

Got to say I'm really excited by Butterworth after last night. Can you tell us a bit more about him (provided you've the time and inclination!). What kind of a player is he? Is he likely to break through any time soon?

Let's have a little perspective here (I realise it will be a dangerous precedent). The lad has played 20 minutes of first team football, against a lower league team's reserves when we were already 3-1 up. He looked very keen and busy, but extrapolating this cameo into starting regularly for the first team in the Championship would be ludicrous.

I'd like to see more of him but I doubt it will stretch to more than an occasional sub appearance or maybe a run out in the next round of the Cup.

53 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Let's have a little perspective here (I realise it will be a dangerous precedent). The lad has played 20 minutes of first team football, against a lower league team's reserves when we were already 3-1 up. He looked very keen and busy, but extrapolating this cameo into starting regularly for the first team in the Championship would be ludicrous.

I'd like to see more of him but I doubt it will stretch to more than an occasional sub appearance or maybe a run out in the next round of the Cup.

May be mistaken but unsure if hes been too prolific at under 23 level? 

Would make sense to loan Nuttall out, his next acid test would be to score regularly at league level and then with that under his belt after a year or 2, come back and challenge for our first team.

Butterworth could then try to take Nuttalls mantle from last season, albeit they seem different types of players, he can become the main attacking threat for the u23s and earn a loan move himself and the cycle can continue. Obviously assuming he doesnt make such an impact to be in a position where we feel its best to fast track him into the first team.

13 hours ago, Nonnel40 said:

Nuttall scored Butterworth didn't. Surely a striker is all about scoring goals, not running channels, link up play and holding it up? ;)

Surely the key to a successful team is to have one of each.

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

I've never seen anything at first team level or the U23's that shouts at me Nuttall is a good player or got the tools to be one BUT he seems to have that knack of putting it away that some far better players don't. Handy to have about for these types of games but not sure he'll ever offer enough at Champ level though he's still quite raw to be fair.

44 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I've never seen anything at first team level or the U23's that shouts at me Nuttall is a good player or got the tools to be one BUT he seems to have that knack of putting it away that some far better players don't. Handy to have about for these types of games but not sure he'll ever offer enough at Champ level though he's still quite raw to be fair.

Agree. 

More than anything else, he's obviously in desperate need of a loan just to play regularly. He's not that young anymore, but for all that he hasn't played too many games either. Seems to me that the biggest thing for him is quite simply just to learn the game and get a bit cannier with his all-round game. He has some decent attributes already and there's no reason why he can't be a decent squad player at this level if he just starts playing a bit more intelligently. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Agree. 

More than anything else, he's obviously in desperate need of a loan just to play regularly. He's not that young anymore, but for all that he hasn't played too many games either. Seems to me that the biggest thing for him is quite simply just to learn the game and get a bit cannier with his all-round game. He has some decent attributes already and there's no reason why he can't be a decent squad player at this level if he just starts playing a bit more intelligently. 

I think that's the nail on the head and the only way to get rid of that rawness and get streetwise in competitive games is to play them we've seen that with Raya, Nyambe and Lenihen. At 23 he needs some regular back to back games pretty quickly.

• J*B unpinned this topic
14 hours ago, Give 'Em the Axe said:

Got to say I'm really excited by Butterworth after last night. Can you tell us a bit more about him (provided you've the time and inclination!). What kind of a player is he? Is he likely to break through any time soon?

I am always gonna be viewing our kids with blue Rovers tainted glasses, lad ??

he has a good scoring record for our youth team and came from Man U. His performance on his debut is pretty much what's he been about. The kind who puts in the effort ala Travis, not a truly lurking fox in the box. Now that he has his debut, who's to say he won't play more. Perhaps a loan might do him good. Was unlucky not to score on his debut, if he puts one into the onion bag, might go on a mini scoring run.

again, blue Rovers tainted glasses?

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

May be mistaken but unsure if hes been too prolific at under 23 level? 

Would make sense to loan Nuttall out, his next acid test would be to score regularly at league level and then with that under his belt after a year or 2, come back and challenge for our first team.

Butterworth could then try to take Nuttalls mantle from last season, albeit they seem different types of players, he can become the main attacking threat for the u23s and earn a loan move himself and the cycle can continue. Obviously assuming he doesnt make such an impact to be in a position where we feel its best to fast track him into the first team.

Not yet.

But at his age level..look:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/teams/development-squad/profiles/forward/daniel-butterworth/

U18 Premier at 2015, one game-hat trick

U18 Premier at 2016, 18 games with 12 goals, FA Youth Cup 2 games with 1 goal, played in the "higher" Premier League 2 with the bigger boys- 6 starts with 3 goals

U18 Premier at 2017, 2 games with 1 goal

He's 19 this year. That's a record a promising youth would be proud of and the fans could be pleased with?

Edited by Tugay's Right Foot
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ognir said:

Is the likes of nuttall and Smallwood(this season) being judged by their former rejections is my question? I.e. 'if nuttall is any good, why did Aberdeen reject him?'.. 'Smallwood ain't championship quality because Rotherham released him'..

That may not be the case in all the opinions, but I suspect it is in quite a few.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's rather plain to see that Smallwood hasn't really been at the races this season.

He's never been the greatest passer.  In the couple of games I've watched he's been very rushed in possession and played wild, aimless, 'hook-it-on' type passes when taking a touch and getting it settled would have made all the difference.

I'm a fan of his so I'm hoping he bounces back, but his confidence looks shot right now.

2 hours ago, Tugay's Right Foot said:

I am always gonna be viewing our kids with blue Rovers tainted glasses, lad ??

he has a good scoring record for our youth team and came from Man U. His performance on his debut is pretty much what's he been about. The kind who puts in the effort ala Travis, not a truly lurking fox in the box. Now that he has his debut, who's to say he won't play more. Perhaps a loan might do him good. Was unlucky not to score on his debut, if he puts one into the onion bag, might go on a mini scoring run.

again, blue Rovers tainted glasses?

Thank you for the info!

Bennett alongside Evans, he was excellent in there when tried last season. Perhaps it will be Reed, I’d have to see him in action.

No agenda, not sure why there would be one, but you need to improve your side year on year, and for me the extra pace and guile of Championship midfields is already exposing him. 

No shame in that and he is still someone to have around the squad, but that’s football.