BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Harrison Reed

1 hour ago, Nonnel40 said:

Maybe. Just get frustrated when nyambe is clearly a star on the rise, getting better all the time..

I agree with you on Nyambe. He has looked very strong this season and looks to be kicking on. I think we also missed him at the back end of last season, especially with the collateral damage of losing Benett's drive and energy from midfield.

He's still green though, so I hope people don't get on his back unduly when the inevitable errors come.

• Like 1

Mowbray from his comments seems to be promising Reed regular football, but with Bennett a fixture in the midfield, Evans playing very well and Palmer and Rothwell looking promising too is there any point to this signing ? There's also Davenport, who will play at some point, and Smallwood, who has been a starter so far. 

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

Mowbray from his comments seems to be promising Reed regular football, but with Bennett a fixture in the midfield, Evans playing very well and Palmer and Rothwell looking promising too is there any point to this signing ? There's also Davenport, who will play at some point, and Smallwood, who has been a starter so far. 

What would be the point in not signing him? A good young player, with experience at this level. If he is happy to come and fight for his place, whats the problem? Competition is good. I don't see the need for concern here?

Anyway, you mixed up players from different positions in your post. Palmer certainly is not going to be vying for a place with Reed. Same with Bennett and Rothwell it would seem. So its simply that Harrision is competing with Smallwood ,at this point. 

What is the point in not signing him? They all play midfield plus you're missing the point that Mowbray has promisied him regular football  when we already have 4 or more playing in his position who are playing well and don't deserve to be dropped.  We need a centre half and a centre forward more than another midfield player. The lad made his debut at 18 but is now 23 and has failed to nail down a place anywhere.  Are we just collecting "promising young players" in the hope that one might come off? Looks like another bench warmer to me. 

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What is the point in not signing him? They all play midfield plus you're missing the point that Mowbray has promisied him regular football  when we already have 4 or more playing in his position who are playing well and don't deserve to be dropped.  We need a centre half and a centre forward more than another midfield player. The lad made his debut at 18 but is now 23 and has failed to nail down a place anywhere.  Are we just collecting "promising young players" in the hope that one might come off? Looks like another bench warmer to me. 

Failed to nail down a place anywhere? Last season was his first full one away from Southampton. He went to Norwich and played almost 40 games

Where does Mowbray promise him regular first team football? All I have read from Mowbray is every player who comes in will need to fight for their place. Your last sentence confuses me, are you worried that he will take someones place or that he will be a bench warmer?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Depends on the long term view. Initially I had the same opinion as you Jim - not really needed.  When I thought about it though, he is clearly an upgrade on Smallwood and we know Evans is injury prone.  Travis looks promising but would benefit from a year in league one.  This signing should allow Travis to go out somewhere and develop.  Hopefully, Travis kicks on and returns ready to cement a place in the middle next year.  If he doesn't and this lad does very well, then maybe we would get him permanently.  At least it strengthens the depth and competition and improves the bench at worst.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

22 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Tend to agree Jim, seems a rather pointless signing when We're so short in other key areas.

Pile him up over there with all the midfielders.

I've said this a couple of times before. It doesn't matter if we already have loads of midfielders already - if he is better than what we have why wouldn't we want him? Seems stupid to just not want to progress or improve the team. Now, I don't have much of an opinion on him myself but by all accounts and from what I have read, he is an improvement on Smallwood so I will take it. Also,  Evans is playing brilliantly at the minute, I can't fault him but who's to say he won't return to his former self at some point? Can never have too many quality players. No signing is pointless if they're better than what we have. Lets not stand still eh?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Could be Evans is playing brilliantly at the moment because he's looking over his shoulder at the queue of blokes waiting to take his place.

Definitely. And it's good we've got another one who actually has experience in this league!

Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Reed - 2 for each position. Travis will go on loan and Whittingham I would imagine is pretty much deemed as surplus.

Bennett, Rothwell, Palmer, Dack, Armstrong, Conway - 2 for each position. Gladwin the only other I would imagine could challenge but we all know that wont happen. 

Yes Bennett and Rothwell can play back their too and I imagine they will at times as injuries kick in or TM changes things up mid-game.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Evans, Smallwood, Davenport, Reed - 2 for each position. Travis will go on loan and Whittingham I would imagine is pretty much deemed as surplus.

Bennett, Rothwell, Palmer, Dack, Armstrong, Conway - 2 for each position. Gladwin the only other I would imagine could challenge but we all know that wont happen. 

Yes Bennett and Rothwell can play back their too and I imagine they will at times as injuries kick in or TM changes things up mid-game.

Are you not forgetting Rodwell? Also we have Tomlinson, Hart  and Bell will also be looking for a place  in the side once Williams is fit.

Plus Travis, Whittingham, and Gladwin who haven't gone anywhere yet. Just your usual 17 midfielders. I reckon we could do with 2 or 3 more just to be on the safe side.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Are you not forgetting Rodwell? Also we have Tomlinson, Hart  and Bell will also be looking for a place  in the side once Williams is fit.

Plus Travis, Whittingham, and Gladwin who haven't gone anywhere yet. Just your usual 17 midfielders. I reckon we could do with 2 or 3 more just to be on the safe side.

Hart and Bell midfielders?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Rodwell as I am told by the oracle Chaddy was signed as CB cover and not midfield though he can play there obviosuly. Bell and Hart are full backs so not sure where you are going with that one.

Travis will go on loan, Whittingham I cannot see being involved unless desperate and Gladwin - he has been spotted less frequently than a Dodo since being here.

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not really as they are the first choice defensive players and Bell and Hart have already played further forward for us.

Seems a convoluted way to try and justify a complaint about a highly rated signing with Championship experience...

- but you do you.

• Like 1