BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have no idea why uneasy at all..

Hes a great talent and IMO we only get better just like Dack and Armstrong. 

Mowbray builting a very good team which is British apart from 2 people. Great team spirit and we are going places under Mowbray. Great feeling and buzz around the club. 

Raya, Lenihan, Williams and the Canadian would disagree with that :) I don't know if your maths are bad or you are committing the cardinal sin with Lenihan and Williams 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Raya, Lenihan, Williams and the Canadian would disagree with that :) I don't know if your maths are bad or you are committing the cardinal sin with Lenihan and Williams 

And interestingly enough Williams was born in Germany and the Canadian was born in Switzerland.

• Like 1

Just now, LeftWinger said:

And interestingly enough Williams was born in Germany and the Canadian was born in Switzerland.

I think Williams father was in the army, is that correct? I actually didn't realise that Williams was from Waterford until he was called up to the Ireland squad. That should be on the confession page!  

I think Williams father was in the army, is that correct? I actually didn't realise that Williams was from Waterford until he was called up to the Ireland squad. That should be on the confession page!  

Yeah I think Williams father was an American in the army stationed in Germany and his mother was Irish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

But you hear of it far more at football clubs with a large contingent of players from one country or who speak one language.

There seems to be a real team spirit at the moment, and I think it helps having a mainly British group.

There does seem to be good team spirit - but there probably would be if we had a team of 11 French players. Chelsea and a few other clubs have had teams without a single British player and  a multitude of nationalities and have been very successful.  How the players gell as a group is more important than nationality

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

There does seem to be good team spirit - but there probably would be if we had a team of 11 French players. Chelsea and a few other clubs have had teams without a single British player and  a multitude of nationalities and have been very successful.  How the players gell as a group is more important than nationality

A fair point. However, I do also think that the fact we have a number of players pushing for places in the first team that have come through the youth ranks also builds the bond between supporters and the players as a group. The likes of Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis etc.

• Like 1

Rovers 94/95 must be the last all British, all Caucasian team to win the Premiership. Just interesting. I completely agree that it doesn't mater where the players are from as long as their personalities are good. That's what Mowbray is looking for. 

You shouldn't be forgetting Jeff Kenna. Or Berg.

I remember in 95/96 and you were only allowed about 4 foreign players in your Champions League match day squad - and Colin Hendry and Kevin Gallacher were classed as foreigners in those days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

You shouldn't be forgetting Jeff Kenna. Or Berg.

I remember in 95/96 and you were only allowed about 4 foreign players in your Champions League match day squad - and Colin Hendry and Kevin Gallacher were classed as foreigners in those days.

Oh ya true, how could I forget those 2. 

Imagine they brought that Champions league rule back in. Chelsea would have to play their under 18 team

I have a really good feeling about Brereton. Given how young and hungry our squad is combined with the good training facilities we have, our club must be one of the best places for players to develop. If we can keep this group together and develop them we will have a bloody good team.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

But you hear of it far more at football clubs with a large contingent of players from one country or who speak one language.

There seems to be a real team spirit at the moment, and I think it helps having a mainly British group.

Think about the squad value too. English premium etc. 

Also it's about being settled, fluent when communicating, connecting with the fans, shared culture with teammates, comfortable with your surroundings and unlikely to leave for foreign shores.

It all adds up, certainly think that a core of British/Irish in English football is ideal, Alex Ferguson thought the same. A sprinkling of foreign talent is always great of course.

That 94/95 squad was incredibly white though as I remember, did seem a bit odd looking back...

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, old darwen blue said:

I also think that British players achieve higher fees in the transfer market. It’s always quoted as relevant to the bigger premier league clubs as they have to have a certain quota of English/British players in their squads?

Grealish and now Declan Rices agents were apparently in their ears saying this 

12 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Think about the squad value too. English premium etc. 

Also it's about being settled, fluent when communicating, connecting with the fans, shared culture with teammates, comfortable with your surroundings and unlikely to leave for foreign shores.

It all adds up, certainly think that a core of British/Irish in English football is ideal, Alex Ferguson thought the same. A sprinkling of foreign talent is always great of course.

That 94/95 squad was incredibly white though as I remember, did seem a bit odd looking back...

Different times man. It is very odd looking alright 

image.jpg

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

15 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Interesting though that it is only an option and not an obligation to buy in January, which is slightly worry as we are owned by Venkys and in a few months time they could quite easily have changed their minds about spending such a sum of money.

From what I understand they are contracted to buy him as part of his loan deal and they cant say there is no contract. There is obviously an offer, acceptance and consideration so its binding on both parties.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, old darwen blue said:

I also think that British players achieve higher fees in the transfer market. It’s always quoted as relevant to the bigger premier league clubs as they have to have a certain quota of English/British players in their squads?

I think Sam Johnstone has wanted to leave Manchester United for years - but they've only allowed him out on loan purely for the fact he counted towards their homegrown quota. It's only this summer he finally got to leave permanently.

Personally I think this is a fantastic signing and a real statement of intent from Mowbray.

Everything I've seen and read about Brereton suggests he's going to be a good PL player in the future. I'm still not quite sure why he's been made available, but I'm delighted that Mowbray has identified the opportunity and, for once, the Venkys have provided him with the means to acquire him. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

I remember hearing a rumour that Kenny signed 2 black players in his whole managerial career. No idea if it’s true without checking, but from memory does seem to be correct. (points if you can name them)

Marlon Broomes might have been kicking around the youth teams at that point.

7 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

I remember hearing a rumour that Kenny signed 2 black players in his whole managerial career. No idea if it’s true 

It isn't. And let's not forget that unless I'm mistaken he took John Barnes to Celtic as manager as well, so any insinuation that King Kenny was racist is way out of line. They were simply different times.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Neal said:

I think people are uneasy given the fee. He's not been playing first team football that long and a side in our league have been comfortable enough to let him go. There is a huge question mark over this one, many supporters have never seen him play or know anything about him. Obviously we won't find out until he's playing regularly for us but I can't help but think Armstrong could end up being better value. Just feel it brings a weight of expectation on both the manager and the player too... Hope it pays off. 

I think 7 mil is steal. Still cant believe Forest sold him tbh. 

I think both players will be bargains for this club

1 hour ago, Dreyski said:

I remember hearing a rumour that Kenny signed 2 black players in his whole managerial career. No idea if it’s true without checking, but from memory does seem to be correct. (points if you can name them)

Marlon Broomes might have been kicking around the youth teams at that point.

And he supported Suarez after the Evra incident! Definitely a wacist. Joking.

There weren't many black players in the Premiership in the early to mid 90s, different time. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It isn't. And let's not forget that unless I'm mistaken he took John Barnes to Celtic as manager as well, so any insinuation that King Kenny was racist is way out of line. They were simply different times.

Yeah, cos that’s what I said...?

Anyway, welcome to Rovers, Ben ?