BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 minute ago, Dreyski said:

Yeah, cos that’s what I said...?

There was a clear insinuation in your post - and I wasn't the only person to pick up on it. To suggest that he 'only' signed 2 black players over such a long period of time as a manager is an odd thing to focus on don't you think. Especially when it is absolute bunkum. Without checking I would wager that Dalglish signed dozens upon dozens of black players in his career. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

You shouldn't be forgetting Jeff Kenna. Or Berg.

I remember in 95/96 and you were only allowed about 4 foreign players in your Champions League match day squad - and Colin Hendry and Kevin Gallacher were classed as foreigners in those days.

They still are..in my opinion if you are not english..you are foreign...the scots and welsh hate us so sod 'em

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think 7 mil is steal. Still cant believe Forest sold him tbh. 

I think both players will be bargains for this club

I'm not sure you can call it a steal until he's proven himself good value. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Not sure why being British is relevant.  Should we be looking to offload the 2 "foreigners" after March 2019? 

Never said we should be offload anybody did I Jim!!!

Mowbray has signed 7 English players this summer. He has found value for Money in the market even tho alot of players are overpriced. I wonder how many managers/clubs have just bought English players only in the championship. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you ever seen him play Neal? 

I known I posted a Youtube clip before of him to show posters the type of person he is

Yeah, seen him a few times. I'd banged on about him to friends being a decent player a while ago. All I'm saying is that I think he'll have to perform consistently well for us first before we can call him a good value signing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Neal said:

Yeah, seen him a few times. I'd banged on about him to friends being a decent player a while ago. All I'm saying is that I think he'll have to perform consistently well for us first before we can call him a good value signing. 

Fair enough. 

Can I ask who you would prefer if given the choice between Brereton, Marriott, Waghorn or Harrison? 

Not sure anyone can call him a steal, his goal record is rather poor so we are paying for potential. Hes a big gamble and one who will probably either fulfill what people perceive to be his potential and go on to exceed the price tag, or continue at his current rate of scoring and prove to be massively overpriced. 

Its one of them, its difficult to judge the fee too much. Apparently Gallagher warrants a similar fee and he is older yet proven to be not very good. You look at Armstrongs price tag and Brereton looks like weve been ripped off, but Newcastle didnt want him. You look at strikers like Grabban, Waghorn, Afobe etc, all of whom are proven goalscorers at this level, something Brereton is certainly not. They are all better strikers now. But the risk with them is if they dont help to get promoted in the life of their contract, then their value hits the floor, Derby, Forest and Stoke can justify such spending, we dont have the same chance of promotion.

A lot of mystique and excitement comes from the size of the fee rather than the actual player and his record in my opinion. Its the statement of intent that comes with the price and suggests that we are showing ambition, at a point when we are already doing well. If he was coming for 2m I doubt he would be getting half the fanfare either way. 

• Like 4

Brereton could go either way but on his goal scoring record it's a bit of a risk. As people have sad,  Villanueva and Nonda looked awesome on YouTube!

His goal scoring record is not outstanding. Armstrong's record looks far better on paper. The only reason we're hopeful is because of reputation of the player coming through the ranks backed up by the reaction of Forest fans in him leaving. However the forest fans reaction is split fifty fifty. 

He may progress and prove to be a bargain. Even being a ten to fifteen goal a season man may see his value increase. However it's the fact we've spent this amount of money on him that excites me more than the player himself.  It's been a while since we bought a player who we had high expectations for but we've certainly got one now,  judged on his price tag more that his record.

Edited by Hasta

Just now, Hasta said:

Brereton could go either way but on his goal scoring record it's a bit of a risk. As people have sad,  Villanueva and Nonda looked awesome on YouTube!

His goal scoring record is not outstanding. Armstrong's record looks far better on paper. The only reason we're hopeful is because of reputation of the player coming through the ranks backed up by the reaction of Forest fans in him leaving. However the forest fans reaction is split fifty fifty. 

He may progress and prove to be a bargain. Even being a ten to fifteen goal a season man may see his value increase. However it's the fact we've spent this amount of money on him that excites me more than the player himself.  It's been a while since we bought a player who we had high expectations for but we've certainly got one now.

Also the fact that we are competing financially for good players, rather than scraping round out of contract or premier loans.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough. 

Can I ask who you would prefer if given the choice between Brereton, Marriott, Waghorn or Harrison? 

Brereton. To be honest I'm not too convinced on Marriott either considering he's only had one good season. Waghorn is not an investment, too short term. Harrison might still turn out to be a decent signing for Ipswich, to get a player for under a million who scored 14  league goals in not a particularly great team, I'd say that's a no brainer and low risk. 

The one signing I am pretty wounded about is Edwards after watching him take us to bits on 2 occasions. Unquestionable talent and definate resale value, his price has already increased no doubt.

As far as forwards go, I think you generally get less value for money. Overall I think Adam Armstrong could potentially turn out to be the best value forward in this league. Just hope he can get himself into double figures this season. 

• Like 1

On the risk in the Brereton deal do players even have to be that good to see their value increase?

Like I see on deadline day Boro put in a 13 million double bid for Saville and Wallace 12 months earlier Millwall had got them both for a million quid.

Waghorn had been knocking about for ages one good season at ipswich and now he's worth 5 or 6 million.

Brereton would have to be really really bad for us not to recoup at least half of what we paid if things go sideways and it doesn't work out.

We got two highly rated England strikers for under 10 million and it will only get that high if they activate clauses by being a success.Its cracking buisness by Mowbray and the club.12 months ago if you looked at our squad, hardly any talent and no value.

Even if we are forced to sell one or two down the line potentially it could put  a big dent in our debt level.

I don't care what anyone says the only way Venkys will leave imo is if the debt level comes way way down and nobody will buy us the way it is at the minute

That's not me hoping we will sell our best players but being realistic If we don't go up this season and Dack plays anywhere near the level he did last season then I think we all have to accept he will be bought buy a premier league team and as sickening as it is for me to say it he would deserve to be playing at that level.

But obviously i would expect a healthy portion of the transfer fee  going back into the playing squad.

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

The worst nightmare is selling any of our star players (Dack, or let's say for this thread's sake, Brereton) to that smelly budgie-keeping lot up the road. There's a 1% chance we might be top dogs again by the time we might have to start selling, but despite Mowbray's best efforts over the last 18 months, it'd just summarise how the last 8 years have gone.

Burnley will be in the championship next season.

I hope though that Mowbray will put a stop to selling our better players to championship rivals.If the likes of Dack or whoever want a move or the club needs the money then I hope we will be selling to the premier league and not to championship rivals unless it's a footballing decision by the manager and he feels he can get someone better in the market.

Mmmmm?  Just watched his interview on Ifollow.  I hear the words coming out of his mouth but his facial expressions and body language indicate otherwise.  Talk abiut a forced smile, he just does not look too happy.  Hopefully he is just exhausted from last few days events.

Welcome young man and good luck.  Do your best.

Excellent and thought provoking article by a Forest fan on the sale of Brereton.

The Forest owners seem to be banking on purchasing established players to gain promotion, rather like Derby County and Villa to a certain extent. This approach means that there is no room in the short term for youth team players to break through. The lure of Premiership millions leads to clubs gambling and possibly ignoring FFP rules. It worked for Wolves. I think Mowbray's approach is to build a side capable of pushing for promotion on solid foundations, hungry young players and team spirit.

www.seatpitch.co.uk/2018/08/28/high-stakes-unpicking-the-sale-of-ben-brereton/

53 minutes ago, Neal said:

Brereton. To be honest I'm not too convinced on Marriott either considering he's only had one good season. Waghorn is not an investment, too short term. Harrison might still turn out to be a decent signing for Ipswich, to get a player for under a million who scored 14  league goals in not a particularly great team, I'd say that's a no brainer and low risk. 

The one signing I am pretty wounded about is Edwards after watching him take us to bits on 2 occasions. Unquestionable talent and definate resale value, his price has already increased no doubt.

As far as forwards go, I think you generally get less value for money. Overall I think Adam Armstrong could potentially turn out to be the best value forward in this league. Just hope he can get himself into double figures this season. 

Agree on Brereton being best one. Unsure on Harrison. 

Deffo agreed on Edwards. We should have go for him. 

I’ve no idea who Brereton is and have never knowingly seen him play but I do think it’s a massive gamble at that fee. Who knows it might come off but he needs to be way better than what we have at that price.  What is the position with the loan deal does anyone know? Are we committed to sign him cone what may or can we send him back if he’s injured or crap?  Don’t want to end up in the position we were the other year with ... was it Feeney?

• Backroom

Good luck to Brereton. I hadn't heard of him before our interest became public so I can't really say I'm excited, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops here. The fact Forest were willing to sell him suggests there are some things about him they aren't keen on, but if Mowbray can get a tune out of him then he could turn out to be a great signing. 

Regardless, it's the first time Venky's and/or the BOI have splashed out this kind of cash on Rovers in many years so they must really trust Mowbray to deliver. Even Bowyer didn't get that kind of backing.

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Rich Sharpe has said that Brereton will become a permanent Rovers player on 1st January. Take that how you will. I do wonder what it's going to be like on here if we are obliged to pay £6m for Brereton in January and, during the loan period, he's either not up to scratch or breaks his leg. It's confusing because Sharpe is telling us one thing, but the wording is that it's an option to buy. It seems like a bizarre deal to me if we're committed to pay later, which I queried previously.

If we’re not willing to give him four months nor a few out with an injury then we shouldn’t be signing people who are only just 19.

Embarrassing if anyone calls for him being sent back before then - which can’t happen anyway as far as I can see.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Rich Sharpe has said that Brereton will become a permanent Rovers player on 1st January. Take that how you will. I do wonder what it's going to be like on here if we are obliged to pay £6m for Brereton in January and, during the loan period, he's either not up to scratch or breaks his leg. It's confusing because Sharpe is telling us one thing, but the wording is that it's an option to buy. It seems like a bizarre deal to me if we're committed to pay later, which I queried previously.

This was a tweet by the Nottingham Posts answer to Rich Sharpe when questioned what the 'option' meant:-

'To be clear... Brereton will make the move permanent in January. It's not an option NFFC can opt out of. But there are numerous future clauses involved that could work in their favour, if he is a success at Ewood Park'

Whether Rovers have the 'option' to 'opt out; is another matter but you would presume they can't if Forest can't.

Edited by blueboy3333

11 minutes ago, Swanson said:

98DDF91E-DF78-4965-BEB0-C7ED7C89C103.thumb.jpeg.00c8b4e25df1dc18b0f1463a900b9904.jpeg

05A71319-64F9-4FFB-B18E-028B8F481F62.thumb.jpeg.d79e821162e3f0079510262fb047c92c.jpeg

Rothwell.

And a shocking effort it is too. Worst yet. May as well have used Amari’i for how convincing it is

edit

Happy to take further requests on young men’s body identification by the way - it’s a lot easier with the lights on.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 7