BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Think it's obvious from what we've seen so far that he's not a winger - although hard to judge until he's got a few matches under his belt in all fairness. 

The stats also show we play quite a lot of long balls and rely quite a bit on Danny Graham with his hold up play and knock downs - and if he's fit, Graham starts.

So I wondered if a 4-3-1-2 would ever be an option.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Bennett - Evans - Reed

Dack

Brereton - Graham

The full backs would have to provide the width - but there is plenty of protection from that midfield three if they get caught out of position. Dack is pretty much a free-role, and then Brereton can play upfront with Graham. There are also several players in that side who can play in different positions if you need to alter the formation during a game.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Think it's obvious from what we've seen so far that he's not a winger - although hard to judge until he's got a few matches under his belt in all fairness. 

The stats also show we play quite a lot of long balls and rely quite a bit on Danny Graham with his hold up play and knock downs - and if he's fit, Graham starts.

So I wondered if a 4-3-1-2 would ever be an option.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Bell

Bennett - Evans - Reed

Dack

Brereton - Graham

The full backs would have to provide the width - but there is plenty of protection from that midfield three if they get caught out of position. Dack is pretty much a free-role, and then Brereton can play upfront with Graham. There are also several players in that side who can play in different positions if you need to alter the formation during a game.

If you're going to play that system Armstrong would be asking why he isn't partnering Graham.

• Backroom

To be fair to Brereton he's got 14 years less experience than DG, so I wouldn't expect him to have that same ability as a hold up player. If he did I doubt he would have come here, he'd have been looking at a PL move.

As I've said before, my issue is that if we do spend £6-7m on him on January that's the type of fee that you'd expect an instant impact from. Obviously Brereton is not at that point yet and I'm not sure we're in a position at this point in time to be spending such large amounts on potential. Still, I have to assume it's Mowbray's call so hopefully we will see the benefits in the near future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

You don’t realise just how good Graham is at doing what he does until someone else is trying to do it...

Just now, DE. said:

To be fair to Brereton he's got 14 years less experience than DG, so I wouldn't expect him to have that same ability as a hold up player. If he did I doubt he would have come here, he'd have been looking at a PL move.

As I've said before, my issue is that if we do spend £6-7m on him on January that's the type of fee that you'd expect an instant impact from. Obviously Brereton is not at that point yet and I'm not sure we're in a position at this point in time to be spending such large amounts on potential. Still, I have to assume it's Mowbray's call so hopefully we will see the benefits in the near future. 

Hasn’t he had about 45 minutes in our colours??

I want him to start tonight so we can at least BEGIN to have a look.

48 minutes ago, DE. said:

what do mean if? The deal become permanent in January. that's the deal. 

Brereton isn't match fit. 

why do you think it someone else call? Mowbray runs the footballing side of the club and from what I heard him say I don't think he is the type to put up with interfere and someone else telling him what to do. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why do you think it someone else call? Mowbray runs the footballing side of the club and from what I heard him say I don't think he is the type to put up with interfere and someone else telling him what to do. 

It says "I have to assume its Mowbrays call" quite the opposite of saying its someone elses call. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

You don’t realise just how good Graham is at doing what he does until someone else is trying to do it...

100% agree. Graham should have the shirt for the time being. He doesnt fit the mantra of a vibrant attacking team, nor does Mulgrew, but the pair not only bring experience but unparalled quality in their positions. Grahams hold up and knock downs are the perfect platform for Dack in particular to thrive off. For me, our 2 most underrated players are our 2 most experienced.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It says "I have to assume its Mowbrays call" quite the opposite of saying its someone elses call. 

100% agree. Graham should have the shirt for the time being. He doesnt fit the mantra of a vibrant attacking team, nor does Mulgrew, but the pair not only bring experience but unparalled quality in their positions. Grahams hold up and knock downs are the perfect platform for Dack in particular to thrive off. For me, our 2 most underrated players are our 2 most experienced.

Completely agree about Graham and Mulgrew. Serious Indian summers going on there. You sum up Grahams contribution perfectly. I would add that Mulgrew is our quarter back, I can't imagine not having a ball playing center half now. In the form he is in, I reckon he could be playing in the Premiership. Nod to some of his wing play against Villa, sublime. Didn't look the most graceful, but Jesus he got the job done on 2 occasions big style. Bet his man well and whipped in great deliveries, one of which we scored from of course. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree, but I think Dack can be equally as dangerous threading through and encouraging a bit of tiki taka as he did in the League Cup. I was a little frustrated in the first half vs. Villa at Danny not dropping off the shoulder looking to be played through or dragging the defence around to create space for Armstrong and Dack. His hold up play second half, when things got a bit more industrial, was class of course.

Both tactics can be effective when we have someone with that quality in the No.10 role - tonight I'm looking forward to seeing us try Armstrong again or even Brereton up top. DG can help us close out the 3-0 after 60 mins.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He been perfect for us Matty and really should now just be a backup - but his performances don’t allow that. It might be a bit of an overstatement here, but the teams much improved performances coincided with his arrival at Ewood.

I rate the guy very highly. He knows how the game should be played and I’m sure that rubs off on everyone else.

• Like 2

Just now, den said:

He been perfect for us Matty and really should now just be a backup - but his performances don’t allow that. It might be a bit of an overstatement here, but the teams much improved performances coincided with his arrival at Ewood.

I rate the guy very highly. He knows how the game should be played and I’m sure that rubs off on everyone else.

He's now played more games for us than he has any other club. Didn't expect that when we signed him, certainly.

• Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

As far as Venky's are concerned I'm ready for anything. I'm not going to say it's a done deal until the money is sent over. I expect it to be, but until it actually is it's still an if. 

I said I assumed it was Mowbray's call.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Whoever coaches the Young England team must have thought he was match fit last week.

2 hours ago, den said:

I said elsewhere he's a bit like Kevin Davies was for Bolton. We play a similar way under Mowbray and Graham is the focal point. What always makes me chuckle is that just before the ball gets to him he does a tiny push in the small of the defenders back (always on the blind side of the ref) and then just casually nods it to a Rovers player. He doesn't even have to jump. Genius!

• Like 1