BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

I'm expecting him to start up front on Saturday if that is the case. Danny needs to be on the bench so he can come on as sub after putting in a fair shift in two games this week. Armstrong has had his chance to prove those of us who thought he couldn't play up front on his own wrong. He didn't take it.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm expecting him to start up front on Saturday if that is the case. Danny needs to be on the bench so he can come on as sub after putting in a fair shift in two games this week. Armstrong has had his chance to prove those of us who thought he couldn't play up front on his own wrong. He didn't take it.

Armstrong needs to prove to me that he can play anywhere Tyrone.

Rovers absolutely need Brereton to show us the qualities we paid for. I have my doubts about that one as well, but really hope I’m wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agree on Armstrong not taking his chance but Graham has to start. If he is knackered after an hour then fine but he was rested yesterday but looked fine throughout. Stoke have Allen, Woods and Etebo in central midfield so I could see a repeat in terms of their midfield dominating so we need Graham to be able to hold things up and to relieve any situations of constant opposition pressure.

My worry with Brereton is that he isnt the type of striker who will allow us to take the pressure off like Graham does.

56 minutes ago, den said:

Rovers absolutely need Brereton to show us the qualities we paid for. I have my doubts about that one as well, but really hope I’m wrong.

Yeah, regarding Brereton we both need to be wrong. If we are it'll mean a lot to our chances this season. We desperately need him to come good in the next month or two. Anything happens to Graham and we're stuck. Nuttall is nowhere near at this level,  Armstrong I think can only play up front alongside another  player. Samuel is out probably for the rest of the season. We may have to put Dack up there but it's not really his position.

It's a shame we haven't got a very average reserve team left back that we can turn into an top class international striker like we did with Fred Pickering and Fulham did with Malcolm MacDonald ! Things like that never seem to happen anymore do they. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We desperately need him to come good in the next month or two. Anything happens to Graham and we're stuck. Nuttall is nowhere near at this level,  Armstrong I think can only play up front alongside another  player. Samuel is out probably for the rest of the season. We may have to put Dack up there but it's not really his position.

Begs the question why he hasn't had game time with the u23's - surely better to get some match practice than just to train and to get 10 minutes here and there in the first team.  Since he signed, the only full game I reckon  he's had was with England u21's, the longer it goes on like that, the less likely it is that he'll make an impact when he is called on.  The lad's almost being set up to fail 

2 minutes ago, Glosrover said:

Begs the question why he hasn't had game time with the u23's - surely better to get some match practice than just to train and to get 10 minutes here and there in the first team.  Since he signed, the only full game I reckon  he's had was with England u21's, the longer it goes on like that, the less likely it is that he'll make an impact when he is called on.  The lad's almost being set up to fail 

Well if you'd have told me at the end of last season that we were going to sign a £6 million striker and then put him on the bench I 'd have thought you were winding me up !

I don't want to be overly critical because he's still a major presence on the pitch, but Graham's return in the last eight isn't exactly reassuring either - so any "what if something happens to Graham" talk is a bit moot right now.

All of our strike options need more support and be able to take their chances when they come.

Edited by CD_93

52 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah, regarding Brereton we both need to be wrong. If we are it'll mean a lot to our chances this season. We desperately need him to come good in the next month or two. Anything happens to Graham and we're stuck. Nuttall is nowhere near at this level,  Armstrong I think can only play up front alongside another  player. Samuel is out probably for the rest of the season. We may have to put Dack up there but it's not really his position.

It's a shame we haven't got a very average reserve team left back that we can turn into an top class international striker like we did with Fred Pickering and Fulham did with Malcolm MacDonald ! Things like that never seem to happen anymore do they. 

Well, Newcastle put Shearer in the nets when he went for a trial!

1 hour ago, den said:

Completely agree on all points Den. I thought Armstrong last year was just about at his level, I don't think he can cut it in the Championship and this is currently being borne out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well if you'd have told me at the end of last season that we were going to sign a £6 million striker and then put him on the bench I 'd have thought you were winding me up !

I would have thought it a wind-up too. technically I suppose the £6M is only being spent in January, hope he's managed to get a game by then..........

• Backroom
3 hours ago, LDRover said:

Completely agree on all points Den. I thought Armstrong last year was just about at his level, I don't think he can cut it in the Championship and this is currently being borne out.

Armstrong's purple patch of goalscoring when he first joined on loan skewered how his overall contribution was seen imo. He does have some ability but I'm not sure he's much more than a squad player/impact option off the bench. I think a lot of us were just relieved to have another body in attack, albeit one that had question marks over playing at this level. 

I have no idea about Brereton but if our game is largely centered around using Graham to hold the ball up was he the best option as a potential replacement? And if he wasn't seen as a Graham replacement why did we not get anybody in who can do that role competently, at least as back up? 

We're in trouble if Graham gets injured as things stand. We'd need to switch to a completely new way of attacking - which may not be a bad thing considering current efforts largely centre around Dack pulling something out of the bag - but it'd be a questionable gamble to take midway through a season.

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

didn't Armstrong play well upfront for us against Hull away and we played the ball on the ground and in between the defenders

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree on Armstrong not taking his chance but Graham has to start. If he is knackered after an hour then fine but he was rested yesterday but looked fine throughout. Stoke have Allen, Woods and Etebo in central midfield so I could see a repeat in terms of their midfield dominating so we need Graham to be able to hold things up and to relieve any situations of constant opposition pressure.

My worry with Brereton is that he isnt the type of striker who will allow us to take the pressure off like Graham does.

You still didn't answer my question that how many times has Graham played 90 minutes or even 60 mins 3 games in a week since Mowbray came in as manager. 

Or we could play on the counter attack and look to get in behind by playing Rothwell on the left, Bennett on right, Dack in the 10 role and Brereton up front. 

Swansea played without a striker last night and caused problems with a striker so why cant we? Stoke aren't a brilliant team either. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

didn't Armstrong play well upfront for us against Hull away and we played the ball on the ground and in between the defenders

You still didn't answer my question that how many times has Graham played 90 minutes or even 60 mins 3 games in a week since Mowbray came in as manager. 

Or we could play on the counter attack and look to get in behind by playing Rothwell on the left, Bennett on right, Dack in the 10 role and Brereton up front. 

Swansea played without a striker last night and caused problems with a striker so why cant we? Stoke aren't a brilliant team either. 

I dont have a clue chaddy, and I havnt got the time to look it up for you. If he tires, bring him off sure but he is a crucial player.

The aim was to play on the counter attack yesterday and nothing stuck until we brought on our best striker. His introduction made a massive difference. You seem reluctant to admit he is such an important player, ever since last season when you repeatedly wrote him off.

I dont want us to cause problems like Swansea did, and not score a single goal! How do you know they caused them such problems?

I never said Stoke are a brilliant team but their central midfield is far superior, as was Derbys, and we dont want them to dominate in the same way. We need that out ball.

Edited by roversfan99

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont have a clue chaddy, and I havnt got the time to look it up for you. If he tires, bring him off sure but he is a crucial player.

The aim was to play on the counter attack yesterday and nothing stuck until we brought on our best striker. His introduction made a massive difference. You seem reluctant to admit he is such an important player, ever since last season when you repeatedly wrote him off.

I dont want us to cause problems like Swansea did, and not score a single goal! How do you know they caused them such problems?

I never said Stoke are a brilliant time but their central midfield is far superior, as was Derbys, and we dont want them to dominate in the same way. We need that out ball.

Well look it up then? I would say very little if at all. He has had a long standing knee problem that affect him plus he is 33 years old. 

The wrong team was picked cos Conway and Palmer were useless. I think if Rothwell and Bennett was playing I think we would be much better

Ive watched that game today after I recorded it last night. Great bonus of having Sky Q. 

brilliant time? 

Have only seen BB play in the Villa game so far, but thought his performance was dreadful.

For most of the time he was on he was running around like a headless chicken contributing nothing in either attack or defence. The few times he tried to take on some Villa players he was easily dispossessed.

The only thing I saw him do okay with was win a couple of aerial challenges and hold up the ball fairly well.

Given the above, surely he needs to be played and given a chance in the centre in place of Graham. I just can’t see him as a decent option out of wide. Looking at his his history at Forest, he seemed to have the better performances when played up front rather than on the wing as well.

I was expecting more from him so I hope it’s just early days (lack of fitness, lack of confidence). You would hope that TM plans on giving him a chance up front sometime soon though, otherwise what was the point of spending so much money on a makeshift wide man?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well look it up then? I would say very little if at all. He has had a long standing knee problem that affect him plus he is 33 years old. 

The wrong team was picked cos Conway and Palmer were useless. I think if Rothwell and Bennett was playing I think we would be much better

Ive watched that game today after I recorded it last night. Great bonus of having Sky Q. 

brilliant time? 

We need to get every last minute that he can give us. He is still crucial at his age. Like I said, is there much difference between half an hour at the end or 60 minutes and taking him off, if he cant do any more?

So you think 9 players played well and 2 were solely to blame for being outplayed?

Fair enough, but Swansea didnt score so im not sure how you can justify replicating their approach.

My apologies, brilliant team. And I hope the irony of you pointing out spelling errors isnt lost on you. 

• Like 3

Just now, Miker said:

Have only seen BB play in the Villa game so far, but thought his performance was dreadful.

For most of the time he was on he was running around like a headless chicken contributing nothing in either attack or defence. The few times he tried to take on some Villa players he was easily dispossessed.

The only thing I saw him do okay with was win a couple of aerial challenges and hold up the ball fairly well.

Given the above, surely he needs to be played and given a chance in the centre in place of Graham. I just can’t see him as a decent option out of wide. Looking at his his history at Forest, he seemed to have the better performances when played up front rather than on the wing as well.

I was expecting more from him so I hope it’s just early days (lack of fitness, lack of confidence). You would hope that TM plans on giving him a chance up front sometime soon though, otherwise what was the point of spending so much money on a makeshift wide man?

30 minutes on the wing. Let's not judge the lad just yet. 

Jesus, what will happen if he plays up front and has a bad game. Fans need perspective here. I take the point that 7 million is a lot to spend for a player who doesn't come straight into the team, but the price tag isn't Breretons fault. He should be given time and support like any young player. 

I would like to see him centrally against Bournemouth. 

I think Chaddy was the one saying Graham can't play every game because of his age. Plenty of older lads play every game. Glen Murray plays week in week out in the Premier league and he is 36 or 37. As it stands, we need Graham has to start. 

• Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

30 minutes on the wing. Let's not judge the lad just yet. 

Jesus, what will happen if he plays up front and has a bad game. Fans need perspective here. I take the point that 7 million is a lot to spend for a player who doesn't come straight into the team, but the price tag isn't Breretons fault. He should be given time and support like any young player. 

I would like to see him centrally against Bournemouth. 

I think Chaddy was the one saying Graham can't play every game because of his age. Plenty of older lads play every game. Glen Murray plays week in week out in the Premier league and he is 36 or 37. As it stands, we need Graham has to start. 

Glenn Murray isn’t quite 35 yet, but otherwise you’re right. 

Some of the comments against Palmer and Graham especially on here are just mental. The way some people go on about Graham is like he’s 45 and in traction...

Perspective and that.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We need to get every last minute that he can give us. He is still crucial at his age. Like I said, is there much difference between half an hour at the end or 60 minutes and taking him off, if he cant do any more?

So you think 9 players played well and 2 were solely to blame for being outplayed?

Fair enough, but Swansea didnt score so im not sure how you can justify replicating their approach.

My apologies, brilliant team. And I hope the irony of you pointing out spelling errors isnt lost on you. 

I thought you meant have a brilliant time in Stoke on Saturday. 

Did I say 9 players played well? I said Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams and Bell played well and Bell was my man of the match. Nyambe was impressive aswell. Smallwood better than Evans. Armstrong, Palmer and Conway very poor and Dack quiet tho I would have loved him to score that chance tho. 

Swansea wasn't even 1st choice and still caused them problems. Stoke very lucky

I'm said the team I would pick last night and I stand by that

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

not his age but his fitness level and a long standing knee injury that causing him problems still that someone posted on here

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

not his age but his fitness level and a long standing knee injury that causing him problems still that someone posted on here

I don't see any issues with Grahams fitness. In fact he looks in great shape recently. No sure about the knee thing, first I have heard of it. 

We know your opinion on lads over 29 anyway Chaddy. You want them put out to pasture 

• Like 2