BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He wasnt crap at all tho. His movement was good and if found at times we might have seen the true player. 

He isnt a Graham type but plays on the last defender shoulder. But if Mowbray is after changing the team to more passing style then Brereton will be ideal for that. 

Your whole opinion of him Chaddy, seems to be that he makes runs but players don’t pass to him. Really? Players make runs to drag teams around all over the park, all of the time. They have to do that, but at the same time get involved and contribute. So this idea that it’s down to the other players that he’s not getting involved is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, den said:

Your whole opinion of him Chaddy, seems to be that he makes runs but players don’t pass to him. Really? Players make runs to drag teams around all over the park, all of the time. They have to do that, but at the same time get involved and contribute. So this idea that it’s down to the other players that he’s not getting involved is ridiculous. 

My opinion is based on what Ive seen of him here and Forest. 

He isnt a Danny Graham type but a striker that likes to play on the last defender. With the ball in his feet aswell. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
Add more comment

23 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Disagree. He had some decent touches but his movement was good/decent. We need to learn how to use him. His game is about movement and playing on the defender shoulder. 

Your comments always remind me of Alf Thornton.

Alf was a lovely chap who was LT's Rovers' journalist but bled blue and white.

The crap players Rovers' signed in those days would be masked by Alf's scribblings in their first few games 'showed some nice touches'.

Sadly, I think Rovers have just poured a shed load of money down the drain with the Brereton deal.  In my opinion, a signing as puzzling as many others in recent years.

10 hours ago, broadsword said:

Davies was 7.25 mill as I remember

That's a great point IMO: For us Kevin Davies was appalling and couldn't trap a bag of cement but he made a bloody good player elsewhere.

I have my views on Brereton and certainly question the size of the fee. However, he's a 19 year old kid who looks a unit. The fee will be weighing on him that's for sure but not half as much as the ridiculous amount of criticism being thrown at him by so called supporters.

Forget the fee, we as supporters haven't paid it and certainly have no right whatsoever to question the spending when we're struggling to get 10,000 through the door for a home match.

Get behind the lad in a positive sense, whether it takes half an hour to tie his shoe laces or not. He's a19 year old kid FFS, half of football is about confidence and what is between the ears, negative vibes so early could ruin him, think about it!

• Like 4

Can't believe the negativity around the lad already. Judge him when he's had a good run of starts in the first team. I don't think there are many of us that would disagree that we could have maybe spent the money a little more wisely but folk need to remember that he's a teenager who's still learning and finding his feet as a professional footballer. Allow him time to find his feet here. I've noticed it seems to be a common thing for Rovers fans to do is to write off a player as "shite" if they don't impress for a few games, I've seen and heard it done to Bell and Smallwood already this season. For the time being he's going to find it difficult to break into this team but I consider that a good thing because when he does finally get his chance then he will know that he has to play to the same standards and what is required of him. That said... He is not Danny Graham, he doesn't have the same experience, we have to play to his own strengths. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 5

This is an obscure message board, people are free to voice their opinions on the lad, that he’s shite, waste of money, whatever, it’s no going to affect his game one iota.

What I do hope though is that whatever people’s views he gets encouragement at the ground, as price tag or not he’s a young kid learning his trade that needs support.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Neal said:

Can't believe the negativity around the lad already. Judge him when he's had a good run of starts in the first team. I don't think there are many of us the would disagree that we could have maybe spent the money a little more wisely but folk need to remember that he's a teenager who's still learning and finding his feet as a professional footballer. Allow him time to find his feet here. I've noticed it seems to be a common thing for Rovers fans to do is to write off a player as "shite" if they don't impress for a few games, I've seen and heard it done to Bell and Smallwood already this season. For the time being he's going to find it difficult to break into this team but I consider that a good thing because when he does finally get his chance then he will know that he has to play to the same standards and what is required of him. That said... He is not Danny Graham, he doesn't have the same experience, we have to play to his own strengths. 

In practically every post I've said I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play many more games from the start. However when he's one of our biggest transfer fees paid ever, you'd expect he'd be knocking on the first team door and showing glimpses.  

The fee is not the players fault. Even if he turns out to be woeful its not his fault (although don't end up going up Tokyo Joe's the night before relegation a la Kevin Davies).

The whole deal just seems crazy based on the fee paid, our transfer history and the overall depth of the squad, and what he has shown so far isn't easing the situation.

• Like 1

If a player plays crap, people should be able to voice that opinion just as much as people should be able to praise a player for a good performance. For example, Brereton was really poor on Wednesday when he came on, whereas say Mulgrew was very good on Saturday, but no one has been replying to people suggesting that with "you need to stop being so positive."

It goes without saying that hes not even started a league game yet, hes young etc, no one of a rational mind has "written him off" but we can only judge on what he does in a Rovers shirt really and so far, that has been nothing.

People can both understand his age and the difficulties of joining a new club, but his price tag will not be forgotten about, and his performances will naturally be compared to Graham as they are the main 2 contenders for the same place in the team. 

Crucially, as @Mattyblue implies, what is typed on a messageboard is unknown to the players and totally seperate to what they hear in the ground. A player tends to have to do something particularly wrong, ie not put in 100% effort to get singled out at games. 

• Like 3

Some of us will have seen and remember Shearer's Rovers' debut at Palace in 1992.  A 21 year old signed for a British record transfer fee of £3million+ in 1992.  Like a duck to water, there was never, ever, any doubt about the lad's ability - two superb debut goals and the rest is history.

For big money, particularly now in Rovers' circumstances, you expect big things immediately.

I just can't see what the lad offers or indeed any potential.

Young players who excite like Sessegnon, Alex-Arnold, Woodburn, Ampadu and Rice stand out a country mile and have already shown quality and maturity at the highest levels.  I am not saying Brereton is in the same league but I don't think he offers even  a tenth of what these lads do.  Sadly, I think we've signed a dud.

Edited by Mercer

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

For big money, particularly now in Rovers' circumstances, you expect big things immediately.

Sadly, I think we've signed a dud.

There is is lads. Proof that BB is going to be the next big thing.

Joking aside though - the fee is being used as an excuse to be overly critical of a 19 year old who’s been here about 6 weeks. That’s an non disclosed fee by the way, and since none of us can predict what the Rao’s will do, it’s not as black and white as this “eggs in basket” debate that’s built on nothing but assumption.

Plus 7m (highly doubt it’s that before clauses being met) is the equivalent of 50k in 1992, so I’m not sure what relevance that is?

The lad needs time, not hyperbolic criticism! Could do with some guidance on how to tie his laces quicker mind...!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Biz said:

Joking aside though - the fee is being used as an excuse to be overly critical of a 19 year old who’s been here about 6 weeks. That’s an non disclosed fee by the way, and since none of us can predict what the Rao’s will do, it’s not as black and white as this “eggs in basket” debate that’s built on nothing but assumption.

Plus 7m (highly doubt it’s that before clauses being met) is the equivalent of 50k in 1992, so I’m not sure what relevance that is?

The lad needs time, not hyperbolic criticism! Could do with some guidance on how to tie his laces quicker mind...!

Genuinely hope the lad proves to be world beater and a snip at the price.

If the deal is worth nowhere near £7m, why the hell didn't Rovers say so and take some of the pressure off the lad?  Perhaps Rovers wanted to create an illusion for the fans of having invested heavily!?

When we signed Dack last season for £750k you almost immediately could see a bit of a spark, some potential.  Recognise players need a bit of time to settle, particularly youngish lads, but you do hope to see at least a glimpse of what they might be about. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Some of us will have seen and remember Shearer's Rovers' debut at Palace in 1992.  A 21 year old signed for a British record transfer fee of £3million+ in 1992.  Like a duck to water, there was never, ever, any doubt about the lad's ability - two superb debut goals and the rest is history.

Young players who excite like Sessegnon, Alex-Arnold, Woodburn, Ampadu and Rice stand out a country mile and have already shown quality and maturity at the highest levels.  I am not saying Brereton is in the same league but I don't think he offers even  a tenth of what these lads do.  Sadly, I think we've signed a dud.

I can see why you are disappointed Merce.

You're comparing him to Shearer. ?‍♂️ 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Genuinely hope the lad proves to be world beater and a snip at the price.

If the deal is worth nowhere near £7m, why the hell didn't Rovers say so and take some of the pressure off the lad?  Perhaps Rovers wanted to create an illusion for the fans of having invested heavily!?

When we signed Dack last season for £750k you almost immediately could see a bit of a spark, some potential.  Recognise players need a bit of time to settle, particularly youngish lads, but you do hope to see at least a glimpse of what they might be about. 

Do you not think a more confident lad puts that header inside the post instead of 5 metres wide at home to sheff united? Think it was 0-1 at the time like, and whilst he played a couple of wayward passes and looked a bit raw overall, that could’ve changed the game + our perception of him.

He did everything right but just caught too much of the ball, good run, well timed jump etc, there’s definitely more to work with than you seem to be suggesting!

“The fee is for the Nottingham fans...” to be honest that’s a quote from someone here I agree with. I’d guess it’s set up to be sensible, appearance and promotion based. I’d also guess that we’ve probably more wood for the fire going off TM’s suggestions about being in the mix come Christmas.

It’s not like you to be sensationalist is it Merc! ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz said:

The thing is, all people have done is commented on games that they have seen, on the admittedly limited sample size of watching him play. He is being judged, just like Reed has been, like Rothwell has been, like Palmer has been, etc.

I dont think people are being overly critical, people on here tend to summarise individual performances after every match, and Breretons have been poor so far. His price tag makes him our main signing so of course people will be particularly keen to see him, but he has to live with that pressure, it is not realistic to ask people to totally remove that price tag from judgements from him.

But I also dont think that people are going over the top because of his price tag either, look at Smallwood, he has received criticism for poor performances this season and he was a free transfer over a year ago. Conversely, Corry Evans has been here for ages and has as many critics as anyone, yet he has received unanimous praise for his improved performances this season. Danny Graham was written off by some last season, now people have rightly acknowledged how good he has been this season. 

Obviously I think comparisons to Shearer are totally stupid, but thats very much an isolated poster. As is calling him a dud. If someone said, if Brereton continued his current performance levels from his fleeting cameos, he will be a dud, thats basically a fact, but obviously thats a massive if.