BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

58 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not that. It's fans who the second the game is over come on here to criticize a player. We won the game. Why don't they go to the Reed thread and say he played well? Or the Rodwell one? No, straight on here to have a questionable pop at a young lad. 

Anyway, it's a bit strange that he wasn't brought on upfront today. Especially considering Mowbrays comments about his scoring the most goals in training. 

Anyways, we won, so Mowbray can do what he wants 

Again, I dont get the over-protectiveness or implying that everyone is desperate for a negative amidst a very good day. Look at the Leeds thread, Armstrong, Evans, Mulgrew, Lenihan, Graham, Raya, Bennett etc, all receiving praise. As has Brereton from many quarters (me included) but theres the additional issue of where he was played.

The only reason people came to this thread is that there was already an ongoing conversation on him before the game, whether people like it or not, a 7m million pound signing will attract plenty of debate. 

"Questionable pop at a young lad" suggests that the fans are on his back in any way. I can suggest from being at the game that nothing could be further from the truth, got hearty applause on numerous occasions, in fact the fans again today were brilliant in general.

Mowbray can always do as he wants, as he is manager. People should also be free to judge what he does, on an internet messageboard, without being jumped on as if they are giving him a hard time.

3 hours ago, Trinidad Rover said:

Big concerns with Brereton and the signing baffles me.

His touch today was very poor and game management/intelligence worse. Mowbray had to switch him to the left to tell him what to do and to close down. 19 or not that’s basic....

Needs to improve quickly.

what a complete and utter loads of rubbish. Suggest you look at Mowbray post match comments and watch the game back. He made 3 or 4 runs and got us up the pitch at time when we needed. Touch poor? really

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ive not seen the explosive pace hes supposed to had and hes never a winger. Some of his passes and lay offs resemble someone unfamiliar with a footballer. But I thought he did well today, exactly what we would want from him and a vast improvement on usual.

whoever said he had explosive pace? He did very decent and we are seeing the player we got. Like the ball to feet and can run with it and use the pace he has. He played wide for the team and that's what you have to do in this team at time. The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back of the shirt. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

what a complete and utter loads of rubbish. Suggest you look at Mowbray post match comments and watch the game back. He made 3 or 4 runs and got us up the pitch at time when we needed. Touch poor? really

whoever said he had explosive pace? He did very decent and we are seeing the player we got. Like the ball to feet and can run with it and use the pace he has. He played wide for the team and that's what you have to do in this team at time. The name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back of the shirt. 

He did “very decent”? Think you’re flattering him too much there Chaddy. Today was definitely the best he’s done so far for us but he still wasn’t great. He did okay at best. Hopefully he can keep getting better with every game though, the lad needs a goal desperately. 

1 minute ago, Butty said:

He did “very decent”? Think you’re flattering him too much there Chaddy. Today was definitely the best he’s done so far for us but he still wasn’t great. He did okay at best. Hopefully he can keep getting better with every game though, the lad needs a goal desperately. 

I think you are being overcritical today. He needs more game time and match fitness. 

• Backroom
2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Mogga giving BB a lot of plaudits in the interview with R Lancs on the match thread...saying he's scores the most goals in training. 

Great. So why bring him on as a winger and move Dack into the striker role then? Mogga seems to think striker and winger are synonymous for some reason. 

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Great. So why bring him on as a winger and move Dack into the striker role then? Mogga seems to think striker and winger are synonymous for some reason. 

I think Mowbray’s logic was that we needed an outlet for the ball to stick to after Graham went off and he didn't trust Brereton to be able to do it. I can't think of any other reason. Personally I would have brought Rothwell on at that point on the wing and moved Armstrong central for the ball over the top. His pace terrified Leeds all day and I think he would have scored as a striker.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

He also said he's just 19. I guess the idea is that he's Graham's long term replacement. Maybe he doesn't trust him yet up front. 

I didn't see the game so no idea what Mogga was thinking. 

1 hour ago, DE. said:

He want a solid centre midfield 3 which isn't Dack game or I wouldn't have played his wide either. Plus with Brereton and Armstrong wide give us pace and movement. Plus Graham looked shattered to me. Brereton isn't a target man type of player 

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

I thought Brereton did well today both in attack and in defence. I can see the "potential" that he is labelled with. He will get better. He is enjoying his time at Rovers so far according to the LT.

I agree and its there to see his potential

15 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Looked good when he had the ball at his feet running at the defence.

Everything else is a work in progress. Doesn't look fit enough.

That's his game. ball to feet. 

I think he is still adjusting to Mowbray style and the amount of fitness he expect from you. Clearly not any previous manager expecting this

I really am sick and fed up of the amount of negative comments/snipes aimed at this young lad. How many of you moaners were at Ewood today? If you were, you should have seen a young lad working his socks off in a position he clearly isn't suited to. However, he did what was asked of him and there were plenty of us on the Riverside who appreciated his efforts. 

It would appear that just because he is carrying the weight of a £7 million tag, he should be setting the world on fire from day one. He is just a kid still learning his trade and if Tony feels that is where he should have played today we have to accept it. 

In case some of you "experts" have forgotten, we won today thanks to a tremendous effort by ALL the players. 

In Tony we trust. 

• Like 9

• Backroom
17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He want a solid centre midfield 3 which isn't Dack game or I wouldn't have played his wide either. Plus with Brereton and Armstrong wide give us pace and movement. Plus Graham looked shattered to me. Brereton isn't a target man type of player 

I understand the thinking behind the substitution, but I would have expected Rothwell or Palmer to come on instead. You'd assume they'd be more suited to the role. As for Brereton not being a target man, that's unfortunate as our system relies on having a target man, especially away from home. Are you saying we brought Brereton in with the intention of converting him to a winger/wide-forward, or that you think we'll eventually change our system to adapt to a different type of striker?

Want him to succeed but thought he was pretty poor today. Poor touch, slow, lost the ball, looked a bit lost.  Won a couple of good free kicks and had a good run at the defence but that was it.

I'm confused what the plan is for him. If it isn't to backup for Graham we need to sign someone who is.

Edit - my view is Brereton was certainly signed to play central as a target man as that is the sort of player we are desperate for, and what he has the attributes for.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

I understand the thinking behind the substitution, but I would have expected Rothwell or Palmer to come on instead. You'd assume they'd be more suited to the role. As for Brereton not being a target man, that's unfortunate as our system relies on having a target man, especially away from home. Are you saying we brought Brereton in with the intention of converting him to a winger/wide-forward, or that you think we'll eventually change our system to adapt to a different type of striker?

I was of the same thinking off being Rothwell on instead of Bereton if he was to play wide. 

I think Mowbray might eventually change our style to more of a passing style or he might work on Brereton and develop him into a target man type but at I am unsure which one he will do. Mowbray has 2 or 3 systems we use at the minute and from what I have seen the Players are comfortable with any system or anything Mowbray asked off them

30 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

I really am sick and fed up of the amount of negative comments/snipes aimed at this young lad. How many of you moaners were at Ewood today? If you were, you should have seen a young lad working his socks off in a position he clearly isn't suited to. However, he did what was asked of him and there were plenty of us on the Riverside who appreciated his efforts. 

It would appear that just because he is carrying the weight of a £7 million tag, he should be setting the world on fire from day one. He is just a kid still learning his trade and if Tony feels that is where he should have played today we have to accept it. 

In case some of you "experts" have forgotten, we won today thanks to a tremendous effort by ALL the players. 

In Tony we trust. 

Negative comments/snipes would only be a worry if they were in the ground, as you said he was appreciated when he did things well today at the ground (I thought he did pretty well in the main today and was improved on previous appearances) and no one has turned on him even in prior cameos when he has looked poor. If someone plays crap, or does something that doesnt impress, people are entitled to come on here and say so. 

Nearly everyone today acknowledged him being played out of position, no one has suggested that hes not trying, and obviously people on here arent "experts." 

Some people seem to have totally forget what a messageboard is. A place to air opinions, both positive and negative. Everyone has their own opinions of how we should play etc, ive heard plenty of people say things like this player played poorly, this player should have played instead, this formation should have been used, this substitute should have been made, but never that Mowbray should be replaced by themselves. 

We are in a thread dedicated to Ben Brereton. If he plays poorly in peoples opinion, people will state as much.

• Like 4

Exactly right. The fans were right behind him today, he got a great reception after that run he went on. Support at the ground is what matters.

Bit if folk on here want to critique him, so what?  ‘Joke this thread, just get behind him’. How do you do that on an internet messsgeboard?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

I agree with your comments roversfan99, that posters on here have the right to offer their opinions, my main concern was about the way some people just seem to jump on the "let's slag off Brereton" bandwagon. These "supporters " need to look at the bigger picture and, as I said previously, trust in Tony. The lad clearly still has a lot to learn, but I am sure he will come good in the weeks and months to come. We should not be getting ahead of ourselves and thinking we are Premiership material now. Brereton is one for the future, alongside others who will be brought into the club as we make progress towards our ultimate goal. 

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

I think he put him a bit wide to try and drag their mountain centre half's out a bit and make a bit of space. He'll learn th Tony way soon and be an asset 

I think he had his best game for us today - albeit after the worst first touch he could’ve hoped for. Some good touches and passes - if only an inch or two short or wide on the two through balls.

More encouraging than the Sheffield United display. Lad is 19 and it’s thrilling we’ve such a luxury option based on his price. 

• Like 1