BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

59 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I don't buy the idea that if we lost Graham we'd suddenly be awful. When Armstrong played through the middle in the cup, albeit against Carlisle, there were signs that we could play a different style successfully if we needed to.

That's a very big "albeit"!

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think everyone agreed we needed a centre half and back up keeper. No need to be patting yourself on the back for that. Going off this post, you don't think Raya should be playing? Very, very odd comment. 

You are a very slippery customer. Those original comments were in the context of assessing how good the transfer window was in an old thread and were aimed at those who eulogised the transfer window as just about perfect. I copped heaps for it, especially from you! 

I certainly have no recollection at all of you expressing any regrets that we hadn't strengthened the defence as we should have. And country to your assertions I got many replies stating that the defence had ample cover---we've got an international in reserve, Williams can play in the centre etc etc.

And how on earth do you come to the conclusion that I don't think Raya should be playing? Absolutely bizarre.

Just now, 47er said:

You are a very slippery customer. Those original comments were in the context of assessing how good the transfer window was in an old thread and were aimed at those who eulogised the transfer window as just about perfect. I copped heaps for it, especially from you! 

I certainly have no recollection at all of you expressing any regrets that we hadn't strengthened the defence as we should have. And country to your assertions I got many replies stating that the defence had ample cover---we've got an international in reserve, Williams can play in the centre etc etc.

And how on earth do you come to the conclusion that I don't think Raya should be playing? Absolutely bizarre.

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Well thanks for confirming my analysis of the transfer window in which I argued that there were serious gaps we hadn't covered! I specifically referenced centre-back and keeper!

I didn't know at the time I needed to include striker as well.

I received a heap of criticism for saying it but good to see you on board!  :P

How, mmm, maybe because you say here that we have a serious gap left uncovered with regards a keeper. 

Copped heaps from people, especially me? Wow, you love playing the victim almost as much as self-praising yourself! 

16 minutes ago, 47er said:

That's a very big "albeit"!

I'll give you that, but I don't think an anonymous 35 mins up front against a rampant Derby side is enough to write him off. I thought the first half at Bolton showed that we can play some good stuff on the floor and not have to automatically lump it to Graham and see if it sticks.

EDIT Just to clarify, I know Armstrong started on the bench that game and Graham started. I don't feel as though Armstrong would've been any worse had he started, the way that we were playing. 

Edited by RoverKyle

We must be boring by now? So here goes----one last time.

You think those 2 sentences in bold actually buttress your argument?

I'm talking about cover for our first choice  keeper you clot, just as I was talking about cover at centre-back! Of course Raya should start he's absolutely brilliant! Not perfect mind!

I don't love playing the victim and I don't self-praise, I merely call it as I see it but I have a good memory and I'm not afraid to use 

Edited by 47er

1 hour ago, RoverKyle said:

I don't buy the idea that if we lost Graham we'd suddenly be awful. When Armstrong played through the middle in the cup, albeit against Carlisle, there were signs that we could play a different style successfully if we needed to.

And against Derby when we had to bring him after 30 minutes and against Sheff. Utd when they just marked him out the game. As I've said previously Graham is far more important to the style of play than if we miss Dack.

There are very few of the type of player that Graham is. It is the main reason that Brereton will struggle. We could adapt the style to 2 up front but we'll still need a Graham type to help get the best of Brereton.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, but against Derby then he was non-existent and switched after 35 minutes. I don't know about awful, but I don't see us being better with anyone else up front apart from Graham at this current time 

Sorry I missed your response and give the same answer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 47er said:

We must be boring by now? So here goes----one last time.

You think those 2 sentences in bold actually buttress your argument?

I'm talking about cover for our first choice  keeper you clot, just as I was talking about cover at centre-back! Of course Raya should start he's absolutely brilliant! Not perfect mind!

I don't love playing the victim and I don't self-praise, I merely call it as I see it but I have a good memory and I'm not afraid to use it!

That's it, finished with you, shove your blarney stone up your arse.

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Some just don't like being called on their nonsense. 

15 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I'll give you that, but I don't think an anonymous 35 mins up front against a rampant Derby side is enough to write him off. I thought the first half at Bolton showed that we can play some good stuff on the floor and not have to automatically lump it to Graham and see if it sticks.

EDIT Just to clarify, I know Armstrong started on the bench that game and Graham started. I don't feel as though Armstrong would've been any worse had he started, the way that we were playing. 

The thing is Graham is the outlet ball. He holds the ball allowing others to play off. Wether that is Armstrong, Dack or Brereton the key is Graham.

Without him the ball comes back onto our defence too quick. Its one of the reasons we are always struggling to clear our lines at the end of the game because usually Graham has been taken off or he is too knackered to move.

• Like 1

On 22/10/2018 at 11:37, Trinidad Rover said:

Many valid points on both sides of this 'debate'. As far as I was aware this is a fans forum, a place where fans can voice opinions, both negative and positive on aspects of the club they support. This is the Ben Brereton thread. 

The reaction from some is frankly bizarre. To be labelled 'ultra negative' and to suggest anyone with an opinion is following a 'narrative' and 'will never  be satisfied' is wide of the mark. A subjective opinion having watched a player, who I believe hasn't made a significant contribution thus far, is exactly that - it isn't a character assassination or attack on Tony Mowbray/Blackburn rovers/Venkys/Fans in the ground/the recruitment policy.

Anyway - I would love to eat some humble pie and hope Ben can improve and become the player TM believes he can be. Until then I maintain he isn't delivering or looking like a 7m GBP player. 

Unfortunately that cameo did very very little to change my views on him so far - it’s the lack of football intelligence, that is innate in players, that is most worrying. 

If we really have signed him ‘for the future’, the merits of which is up for doscussion, take him out of the firing line totally now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, den said:

Again. Without DG we have no one able to play his role.

Mowbray’s game plan seems to be to start with DG then bring on Brereton in order to play Dack as a lone striker. It’s just odd.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Mowbray’s game plan seems to be to start with DG then bring on Brereton in order to play Dack as a lone striker. It’s just odd.

Doesn’t suit either of them but it’s obvious why he does it. Dack has more chance of holding the ball up and Brereton should be able to get up and down. It doesn’t work, but nor would it work vice versa.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

Well you're not defending him tonight are you? Nor is Biz as far as I can see! AWOL!

I thought he did alright when he came on. Showed a few nice touches. One in particular where we won a corner. I don't know why he wasn't brought on upfront though. We lost the link between midfield and attack with Dack moving upfront alone 

2 minutes ago, den said:

Doesn’t suit either of them but it’s obvious why he does it. Dack has more chance of holding the ball up and Brereton should be able to get up and down. It doesn’t work, but nor would it work vice versa.

Agreed. It makes the signing even more absurd. Loan with an agreed fee is looking like a huge mistake. Let’s hope there is some method behind the apparent madness.

Just now, Stuart said:

Agreed. It makes the signing even more absurd. Loan with an agreed fee is looking like a huge mistake. Let’s hope there is some method behind the apparent madness.

WBA a tough game.... Would anyone throw Bereton in from the start and tell him to show us what he can do? Not sure bar Bournemouth if he's started yet, sink or swim time.

Just now, Scotland1 said:

WBA a tough game.... Would anyone throw Bereton in from the start and tell him to show us what he can do? Not sure bar Bournemouth if he's started yet, sink or swim time.

He needs a cup game.

Just now, Scotland1 said:

We are going to get hammered trying to defend against west broms attacking line up. May as well go for it, whoever he picks. I think Tony will be giving his artists a day off and trying to not concede , we will and it's back to the drawing board

If the agreement with Forest isn't written in stone we should walk away. Always assuming, of course, that the money would be available for someone else.

Enough already! Its an unnecessary gamble not worth taking.

Edited by 47er
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, 47er said:

If the agreement with Forest isn't written in stone we should walk away. Always assuming, of course, that the money would be available for someone else.

Enough already! Its an unnecessary gamble not with taking.

He's our player so we can't walk away. Lets just hope the Chicken Chokers don't watch our games these days'