BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely 100% agree. Also most of the comments about Brereton yesterday where critical of Mowbray and how he is using him.

I dont think we can even think of justifying breaking up the Graham and Dack partnership. But the only place Brereton should be utilised is as a striker.

We seem to have to break up that partnership on the hour every game. I think we all knew that Graham would struggle playing the whole match at a higher level when games come thick and fast.. We were unlucky that Samuel got a serious injury when he did. he would have probably been thrown on for the last 1/2 hr if he was available. Having said that we are where we are. Anything happens to Graham and we've got problems.

11 minutes ago, Stuart said:

So now you’re saying Brereton and the rest of us are all playing but you’re not? And you knew all along?

You all knew that I meant I want Brereton to start on Saturday. 

I aint playing any of your silly pathetic games and all the rest of your little gang of friends. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I aint playing any of your silly pathetic games and all the rest of your little gang of friends. 

The thing is Chaddy, if you go back and read the rest of the partially quoted post, you were ridiculing another poster's  contribution.

Classic case of giving but not taking.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

Good grief Chaddy, of course everyone knew what you meant. You had a laughing reaction at a perfectly well-worded post the other day, so you really have to be able to handle it when the shoe is on the other foot.....

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I’d love to have a gang of friends, Chaddy but, no matter how much you display your victim complex, we are all on our own - except for all being Rovers fans. Nobody is ‘on my side’ - if anything you get the band of brothers treatment and I’m usually given the stick.

There is no gang, there is no pathetic game, you just need to be as happy to take a bit of ribbing as much as you are happy to give it. :tu: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Good grief Chaddy, of course everyone knew what you meant. You had a laughing reaction at a perfectly well-worded post the other day, so you really have to be able to handle it when the shoe is on the other foot.....

would tbh expect better for a moderator of the site and set a good example to others

I notice you didn't mention that laughing reaction to my posts that was well construct tho? why? 

53 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’d love to have a gang of friends, Chaddy but, no matter how much you display your victim complex, we are all on our own - except for all being Rovers fans. Nobody is ‘on my side’ - if anything you get the band of brothers treatment and I’m usually given the stick.

There is no gang, there is no pathetic game, you just need to be as happy to take a bit of ribbing as much as you are happy to give it. :tu: 

no victim card played tho Stuart just the way you see it. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

would tbh expect better for a moderator of the site and set a good example to others

I notice you didn't mention that laughing reaction to my posts that was well construct tho? why? 

When you make a well constructed post Chaddy, it’ll be a red letter day. Hell, I’d be happy with a well constructed argument!

And nobody mentioned cards.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

But I am on your side!

48 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If you don't like people using the laughing symbol on your posts you could always set an example by not doing it yourself.

• Like 1

It's far too early to dismiss Brereton as an expense flop although I admit, having watched every appearance he has made thus far, it's clear the lad hasn't exactly hit the ground running.  Rather like Kevin Davies, the size of the fee seems to be an albatross around his neck.  He seems totally lacking in confidence and, more worryingly, lacking in basic fitness compared to those around him.  Granted that he has not played much football - either with Forest or ourselves - this season and the physical demands of the way we play seem totally alien to him at the moment.  Clearly he has ability - as his appearances for Forest and England youth would suggest - but the issue seems to be how to apply that ability within the system and style that we use.  At the moment he doesn't seem to have the physical attributes to allow him to play the Graham role nor does he have the pace to play him in the middle chasing long balls over the top - hence he appears in wide positions trying to cut in and support the player in the middle.

Davies eventually proved to be an exceptionally good player - although sadly long after his Ewood exit.  Brereton needs time to develop his own identity at Ewood and it may well be that it will take some time before we see the best of him.  The lad didn't set the fee but, unfortunately, he is having to live with it and is continually in the spotlight.  Perhaps one or two games with the Under-23's might help with confidence in the short term.

• Like 8

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I’ll be honest Chaddy, I don’t know what you mean in your post. If you’ve a problem though, I’m always contactable via PM. ?

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

It's far too early to dismiss Brereton as an expense flop although I admit, having watched every appearance he has made thus far, it's clear the lad hasn't exactly hit the ground running.  Rather like Kevin Davies, the size of the fee seems to be an albatross around his neck.  He seems totally lacking in confidence and, more worryingly, lacking in basic fitness compared to those around him.  Granted that he has not played much football - either with Forest or ourselves - this season and the physical demands of the way we play seem totally alien to him at the moment.  Clearly he has ability - as his appearances for Forest and England youth would suggest - but the issue seems to be how to apply that ability within the system and style that we use.  At the moment he doesn't seem to have the physical attributes to allow him to play the Graham role nor does he have the pace to play him in the middle chasing long balls over the top - hence he appears in wide positions trying to cut in and support the player in the middle.

Davies eventually proved to be an exceptionally good player - although sadly long after his Ewood exit.  Brereton needs time to develop his own identity at Ewood and it may well be that it will take some time before we see the best of him.  The lad didn't set the fee but, unfortunately, he is having to live with it and is continually in the spotlight.  Perhaps one or two games with the Under-23's might help with confidence in the short term.

It's a good post and one I agree with. The question is what has mowbray seen in him to warrant that fee and how does he see him utlised in his plans. He was bought to be a main striker yet would rather play dack up there than ben. 

I dont think that the predominant reason for his slow start is the fee weighing heavy on his shoulders.

For me, the primary reason is the way that Mowbray has used him, and he has to take a large brunt of the blame for his really poor start. I have seen a couple of glimmers of positivity in his last 2 cameos that were totally absent prior to that, albeit he has never come close to a goal. I think his confidence is low and I'm sure he is feeling the pressure somewhat, but playing in him in a role that isnt natural to him, and one that he apparently struggled in at his previous club, further away from the goal, will surely only cause his confidence to drain further. You could understand it more if we didnt have Palmer and Rothwell, or even Conway, all players capable of playing the role he is often shoehorned into.

There are already big question marks about spending so much on one player, especially one with such a poor goal record. But Mowbray should adopt a rule of either playing him as a striker or not at all. You mention creating his own identity @Parsonblue and I agree with that but it can only happen in his natural position. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think that the predominant reason for his slow start is the fee weighing heavy on his shoulders.

For me, the primary reason is the way that Mowbray has used him, and he has to take a large brunt of the blame for his really poor start. I have seen a couple of glimmers of positivity in his last 2 cameos that were totally absent prior to that, albeit he has never come close to a goal. I think his confidence is low and I'm sure he is feeling the pressure somewhat, but playing in him in a role that isnt natural to him, and one that he apparently struggled in at his previous club, further away from the goal, will surely only cause his confidence to drain further. You could understand it more if we didnt have Palmer and Rothwell, or even Conway, all players capable of playing the role he is often shoehorned into.

There are already big question marks about spending so much on one player, especially one with such a poor goal record. But Mowbray should adopt a rule of either playing him as a striker or not at all. You mention creating his own identity @Parsonblue and I agree with that but it can only happen in his natural position. 

It maybe weighing heavy on Mowbray's mind though which might explain him being used out of position when there are wide players available

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Repeating for the umpteenth time I do understand TM going down the softly softly route with this lad but constantly using him wide is giving him mins alright but ruining his confidence.

Mowbray has to decide now what is more important because he's clearly uncomfortable being used out there and he's learning nothing he'd be better off with a spell upfront for the U23's and take him out the limelight a bit he's only 19 for gods sake.

Edited by tomphil