BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, unsall said:

Wonder why Mowbray gave the ok to sign him then, he wasn’t getting much game time at Forest, but it’s potential he has, why do England u20s pick him, he must have something.

Think Jason Lowe was selected for England U20s & U21s on well over a dozen occasions.  Enough said!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

Absolutely staggering stuff!

How can the price be irrelevant when it limits our options to strengthen elsewhere!?  It's Mowbray's job to use the relatively limited resources available to strengthen the 1st team.  To commit almost £9million on Armstrong and Brereton and then say we are a striker light is, IMV, farcical.

Mbappe who starred in a World Cup Final is just 19, Alex-Arnold was ripping it up at 19 and played in a Champions League Final,  Sessegnon and Ampadu were/are sensational 17 year olds.

The bottom line is if you are good enough then you are old enough.  IMV, we have wasted £7million on a 19 year old striker not good enough to command a regular place in a newly promoted Championship team.

By the way Chaddy, both Shajan and Northcote are very good in their own different ways!

There are very fair points in there that I agree with, notably that the price is most certainly relevant, that we need to use resources (limited isnt 100% accurate mind) to strengthen the first team, and that moaning about a lack of strikers after spending 8 or 9 million on 2 is crazy.

That said, you lose all credibility in your post IMO when you start bringing players like Kylian Mbappe into it, even if its obviously not a direct comparison.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I post my opinion but cant help it being similar to other posters like JHRover and unsall. 

And post links and stories for posters to read or explained reasons for certain questions they asked. 

Keep up the posts Chaddy, I think you’re right.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If played in his position, yes.

It doesn't matter where you are on the field of play.  A good player shows technique, rhythm, timing, awareness, imagination etc - not seen any of this in Brereton.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There are very fair points in there that I agree with, notably that the price is most certainly relevant, that we need to use resources (limited isnt 100% accurate mind) to strengthen the first team, and that moaning about a lack of strikers after spending 8 or 9 million on 2 is crazy.

That said, you lose all credibility in your post IMO when you start bringing players like Kylian Mbappe into it, even if its obviously not a direct comparison.

The comparison is for age !!!

To hear Mowbray talk, you would think our young lads had just stepped out of kindergarten.  I think it's ridiculous.  Butch Wilkins captained Chelsea 1st team at 17 !!!

It's simple enough - if you are good enough you are old enough.  If you aint got it, doesn't matter whether you are 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 etc, you'll never make it.

Edited by Mercer

Just now, unsall said:

Very true, but when I seem to give my opinion I get shouted down by members and mods, saying I shouldn’t be saying positive comments.

Say what you feel and you wont go far wrong.  It would be a dull old world if everyone agreed!

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

To hear Mowbray talk, you would think our young lads had just stepped out of kindergarten.  I think it's ridiculous.  Butch Wilkins captained Chelsea 1st team at 17 !!!

Serious question, Mercer do you think Mowbray is doing a decent job, or would you prefer someone else, as you probably know I think he’s a breath of fresh air after some of the dross we have had recently, I know everything he does isn’t 100%,sometimes I think he gets the subs wrong, but overall a very decent, honest manager.

Just now, unsall said:

Very true, but when I seem to give my opinion I get shouted down by members and mods, saying I shouldn’t be saying positive comments.

When did anybody say you shouldn't be saying positive comments? Who has shouted you down? people disagreeing with your comments is not shouting down, its debate and what a messageboard is all about.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, unsall said:

Right on what exactly? That nobody else's opinion can be right if it contradicts Mowbray comments which is what you have replied to?

I've not really followed why your annoyed with other posters on this thread. You normally just post your opinion well and then just move on so I'm not sure what's going on.

However leave the trolling posts like this one to others please.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 2

Just now, JacknOry said:

When did anybody say you shouldn't be saying positive comments? Who has shouted you down? people disagreeing with your comments is not shouting down, its debate and what a messageboard is all about.

Yeah you’re right,can’t beat a good debate,different views but all want Rovers to be back where we belong, just gets to me with quite a few on here giving Mowbray stick when I don’t think he deserves it, in my humble opinion of course.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It doesn't matter where you are on the field of play.  A good player shows technique, rhythm, timing, awareness, imagination etc - not seen any of this in Brereton.

A player will be less effective in a position that is not his favoured position, how can you possibly deny that? Not that they should be given a free pass, but he showed marginally more in his last 2 games but it is clear that he is hamstrung by playing out of position, and therefore Mowbray should take the majority of the flak should it continue.

9 minutes ago, Mercer said:

It's simple enough - if you are good enough you are old enough.  If you aint got it, doesn't matter whether you are 19, 21, 23, 25, 27 etc, you'll never make it.

Another top level comparison, from many years ago. If they are your standards then you will be disappointed.

What I would say is that age alone is not an asset. You have to see something in his game that could be improved, I would agree if you had said that. But rhyming off top level youngsters does nobody any favours.

4 minutes ago, unsall said:

Total rubbish. No one has ever said anything remotely similar to stating that you shouldnt be saying positive comments.

Just now, unsall said:

Serious question, Mercer do you think Mowbray is doing a decent job, or would you prefer someone else, as you probably know I think he’s a breath of fresh air after some of the dross we have had recently, I know everything he does isn’t 100%,sometimes I think he gets the subs wrong, but overall a very decent, honest manager.

99% of our fan base thinks Mowbray is doing a decent job. The fanbase is fully united behind him, stop trying to make out otherwise.

As with anyone, they will be judged game to game. Look at the Leeds thread and youll see constant praise for both him and the players, for example him targetting set pieces, playing an up to then out of sorts Armstrong etc. Look at the Swansea thread and youll see criticism headed his way, for example that he had half a team playing out of position.

Please stop making out as if its a negative only zone.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, unsall said:

Yeah you’re right,can’t beat a good debate,different views but all want Rovers to be back where we belong, just gets to me with quite a few on here giving Mowbray stick when I don’t think he deserves it, in my humble opinion of course.

The criticism is about playing a 6m striker out of position then complaining that he doesnt have enough strikers. How is that undeserved?

Just because he has done a good job in general doesnt exclude him from criticism when warranted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, unsall said:

Nobody has said anything of the sort.

Keep posting your opinions. Make them legible and put a good argument forward. Don’t turn it into ‘positive’ v ‘negative’ or the board goes to ?.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Right on what exactly? That nobody else's opinion can be right if it contradicts Mowbray comments which is what you have replied to?

I've not really followed why your annoyed with other posters on this thread. You normally just post your opinion well and then just move on so I'm not sure what's going on.

However leave the trolling posts like this one to others please.

Ok.

4 minutes ago, unsall said:

We all want the same and are all have Rovers in the heart, just that we will all have different opinions. TM has done a great job, I dont think anyone is really disputing that - just questioning this transfer and the way he has been utilising the lad since he has arrived. Do not really think it is stick as such, just that many are confused with it all. If BB bangs in a hat trick against WBA playing up front though - i think everyone will be happy.

Just now, JacknOry said:

We all want the same and are all have Rovers in the heart, just that we will all have different opinions. TM has done a great job, I dont think anyone is really disputing that - just questioning this transfer and the way he has been utilising the lad since he has arrived. Do not really think it is stick as such, just that many are confused with it all. If BB bangs in a hat trick against WBA playing up front though - i think everyone will be happy.

?

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Should a player not be given time though, particularly a younger guy? 

We’ve had this kind of viewpoint on here for as long as I’ve been posting and it’s always started arguments.

what exactly do you mean? Do you mean only 

1 positive posts

or

2 no posts 

about him should be made?

its all very silly and folk will say what they see, what they like and what they don’t like. Yes, he’s probably being played out of position and yes he’s not started yet, but so what?  Fans understand this when they’re commenting on him.  Seems to me that early views on players are welcome as long as they’re “positive” which is ridiculous.

For me, I haven’t seen one moment of quality from him yet, not one. Does that mean I want him to fail? Absolutely not. He looks like he doesn’t know what’s hit him. I defy anyone to say otherwise.

• Like 3

Why should anyone on a message board give ‘someone time’? If they think he’s been shite they are perfectly entitled to say so, that’s their opinion.

Just as someone else is entitled to disagree and explain that he’s 19, unfit, out of position etc.

The fans at Ewood and in various away end are the ones that need to ‘give him time’ and he got plenty of support against Leeds and that’s what matters.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

How much?

Whether it be £100,000 or £1million, we have £7million LESS to commit in the next transfer window or possibly even one or two windows after that.

£7million would have bought at least 2 or 3 very decent players who would have gone straight into our starting eleven instead of a striker who is not good enough, even Mowbray must acknowledge this by virtue of the fact he wont select him,  to command a regular starting spot.  IMV, a signing that defies logic.

you have no idea what the budget will be in January as this will be decide in November when Mowbray and Waggott goes to India for talks. 

Mowbray has already said the way he has handled Brereton since coming in but now you are coming through with another conspiracy theory. Which is right, bring him in slowly and let him get up to speed and used to Mowbray and his tactics/fitness demands.   

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Not in terms of the discussion we are having! I know that he likes his wide forwards, but I dont think that Brereton is a wide forward.

Einstein once defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." I feel that repeatedly playing Brereton wide falls under that definition, therefore patience is irrelevant.

If he was playing in his natural role down the middle, and showing some promising signs and also some inconsistency, then telling me to "show some patience" would be relevant. As it is, he is playing in the wrong position, therefore it is not. In this situation, I am frustrated at Mowbray and hope he changes to only using him in his natural position.

Brereton is a striker. Mowbray has moaned that he feels he doesnt have enough forwards. That being said, he at the moment seemingly refuses to consider a 6m striker he bought himself for that position, even though that is the position in which he garnered the positive reputation at his previous club to impress Mowbray enough to buy him in the first place. If that situation was to continue, then something has obviously gone wrong somewhere.

As @Hasta explains perfectly, just because Mowbray says something, it doesnt mean that it is right, or that you have to justify it. 

The other day, you stated after watching the Swansea game that Brereton playing wide is not something that works and something that you disagree with. Even though you came to the conclusion that it is a bad idea with your own eyes, I find it quite baffling that just because Mowbray has come out and said soemthing in the press, youve had a total u-turn. 

The only reason that you are asking for patience is because that Mowbray has said that. After listening to his interview asking for patience, he (and the interviewer) have not acknowledged that much of the frustration is aimed at Mowbray himself.

Mowbray also said "the money is not irrelevant" by the way.

of course its relevant but you will disagree. 

I haven't done any U-turn but I have posted what Mowbray has said in media to posters asking those question why he is playing wide or not starting. How people read things that I haven't posted. 

signing someone like Brereton who is young, not played this season and not used to Mowbray ways/methods it was always going to required patience. 

The money isn't relevant as I expect the same from every player regarding of cost or wages. When they put the Blackburn Rovers shirt I expect 100% commitment, work rate, desire and passion from every player. here a saying from Goal the film, "the name on the front of the shirt is more important than the name on the back of the shirt

51 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Varies from player to player - some make an immediate impact (eg Shearer), some need a bit of time (Sherwood) and some will never cut it because they are simply a dud!

Seen Brereton several times now and I haven't seen anything at all which made me sit up and take notice or even think he has half decent potential - irrespective of where he has played.  I would have been disappointed even if we'd have signed him on a free!  I would love to know the full story behind this signing - sadly, it's all reminiscent of the many clangers dropped by Rovers that it's been my misfortune to see in almost six decades of supporting the club.

what full story? another conspiracy theory by someone else. 

28 minutes ago, unsall said:

Wonder why Mowbray gave the ok to sign him then, he wasn’t getting much game time at Forest, but it’s potential he has, why do England u20s pick him, he must have something.

exactly. Mowbray and his staff will have done their work on Brereton. 

19 minutes ago, unsall said:

Thankyou for the support 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

exactly. Mowbray and his staff will have done their work on Brereton

And so far, it doesn't look like that has been a good bit of work by them.

Thats all we're saying. I don't get why that is even a controveral or polarised opinion.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 3