BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, JacknOry said:

Mahoney came on in his position. Brereton is not a winger and I really cannot fathom why he is being played there. Palmer showed 10x what he does there. Stick the guy up front so we can see what he can do.

So then Mowbray must carry the can for putting petrol in a diesel engine?

• Like 2

On 27/10/2018 at 14:21, Mercer said:

Doesn't matter whether the fee is instalments or not - the bottom line is it's a financial commitment / liability for the club.

For the type of money we've committed to, there has to be an expectation that Brereton, or any other player we sign for that type of money, will walk into to the club, make a huge impact and take the club to another playing level.  If Brereton is no better than Graham and Armstrong (central strikers), we should not have bought him for, IMV, such a ludicrous fee.  As I and many others have said, for that type of money, we could have signed 3 very decent players who would command first team spots and who would have strengthened the team significantly.  Brereton has not strengthened the team, Mowbray can't think he's good enough to start, and therefore in my view is an unfathomable signing.

All reasonable points put forward eloquently. Which begs the question why has chaddy put up a laughing emoji?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blue blood said:

perhaps a lower league big lump of a forward would have suited our tactics more with the likes of Dack, Armstrong, Palmer et al behind him?

Can't wrote Bereton off yet but you have to think that for such a big investment for us he has to be contributing more.

A big lump of a forward would take the pressure off a lot of them in certain games and he'd provide an outlet to aim for in others plus maybe the added bonus of man marking other sides big lumps when we defend corners. The way we often play it's amazing our squad doesn't contain a guy like this, it would also allow BB a bit of breathing space to just continue coming on out wide for the sake of getting mins.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't agree with Mercer one bit and Mowbrays had his targets for other positions but didn't spend just for the sake of it. 

No surprise there Chaddy.

Good job you weren't around in WW2 as Lord Haw Haw  would have had you done up like a kipper.  Talking of Germans, I think a Klopstock proverb is quite appropriate "he who has no opinion of his own, but depends upon the opinion and taste of others, is a slave"        

Let me ask you a question.  Given you watch lots of football as you tell us and therefore must have seen Brereton in a Forest shirt, if you were the Rovers' manager, would you have signed him and how much would you have paid for him?

Edited by Mercer

Just now, DeeCee said:

Good that he's setting up roots?

Well it's a more positive sign than commuting from near Nottingham or living in Cheshire to be near the flash night life like a few of our signings over the venky era I suppose.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well it's a more positive sign than commuting from near Nottingham or living in Cheshire to be near the flash night life like a few of our signings over the venky era I suppose.

Or commuting from Newcastle like DG?

20 hours ago, tomphil said:

A big lump of a forward would take the pressure off a lot of them in certain games and he'd provide an outlet to aim for in others plus maybe the added bonus of man marking other sides big lumps when we defend corners. The way we often play it's amazing our squad doesn't contain a guy like this, it would also allow BB a bit of breathing space to just continue coming on out wide for the sake of getting mins.

It's surprisingly (or maybe not) that in between the decent football we've played at times - the amount of times we end up going from having the ball on half-way or their half back to Raya to lump up-field is quite astounding. From memory on a lot of those occasions the opposition end up with the ball.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Without wanting to bang on about it, I see Marriott is now banging them in, said at the time he and Edwards should’ve been brought in. Would’ve made a lot more sense than this deal. Marriott would’ve been a great dg 2

His wages were too high for us. 

Marriott isnt a player like Graham so we have to change style like we had when Armstrong or Brereton play there

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Without wanting to bang on about it, I see Marriott is now banging them in, said at the time he and Edwards should’ve been brought in. Would’ve made a lot more sense than this deal. Marriott would’ve been a great dg 2

After an impressive start Edwards seems to have lost his way a bit at Ipswich. A lot of talk of him running into a lot of blind alleys with little end product. Obviously difficult to judge with Hurst as manager and being surrounded by some very poor players. The times I've seen him playing for Ipswich he's always looked dangerous, and he could have been a viable alternative to Chapman (particularly as he can actually stay fit for longer than a couple of weeks).