BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Like the way he seems to be in and amongst the banter. Always first to celebrate with a goalscorer etc. The “fee” (whatever it actually is) might be playing on our minds but doesn’t seem to effect him. Top attitude, top lad, fits in like a hand in glove and has great attributes.

AND I saw him give his all and be effective in a blue and white shirt today so...

He’s the best signing we’ve ever made, a bargain at twice the price and 100% an absolute Rovers legend.

Bookmark this comment.

/thread

Now your playing silly buggers as well ?

49 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I dunno if I am...

The sentiment I’m seeing is that he either has to return us miles more than 7m+, that he has to score a shit ton of goals NOW, change games and be fantastic or - he’s just going to be a bit of a flop. Because money. Because short term.

Or what’s even more ridiculous - some seem to be saying that he’s already shown flashes of being amazing in order to try to get behind him.

Lets be honest, we’ve seen square root of nowt.

The fact that he might be a humble yet outstanding professional for his age and a hard working lad that can be an effective cog in what Tony is trying to build seems to be lost because of the reported fee. 

He’s international class at 19 and he’s able to effect games as he did today.

He’s buying into our greatest strength - the team ethic. He’s learning what is needed, he’s doing what is asked of him and he’s waiting to earn his chance... he’s got the right attitude, with the right gaffer who won’t just leave him to sink or swim.

What makes us good isn’t being a team of superstars. And for us this lad looks an asset. It’s obvious to me, at least.

He’s 19. He’s been here two months. If he’d scored four goals in this time he’d be the messiah. But I REALLY do trust that Mowbray isn’t spunking money around willy nilly but GENUINELY trying to spend it on getting the best, most well rounded young professionals that we can afford to build our club.

I’d give him 12-18 months before even thinking about the fee. Ultimately, it’s about the management and coaching at his age. He’s in good hands

Ben Brereton is a Rovers Legend.

/thread

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

2 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Like the way he seems to be in and amongst the banter. Always first to celebrate with a goalscorer etc. The “fee” (whatever it actually is) might be playing on our minds but doesn’t seem to effect him. Top attitude, top lad, fits in like a hand in glove and has great attributes.

AND I saw him give his all and be effective in a blue and white shirt today so...

He’s the best signing we’ve ever made, a bargain at twice the price and 100% an absolute Rovers legend.

Bookmark this comment.

/thread

The best signing we've ever made and cheap at twice the price comments I thought were tongue in cheek, (hence the ? in my post) he may well prove to be a Rovers legend but if you were serious about the first two points, well you must have a glass that's overflowing never mind half full.

8 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

Yes £7m is a whole lot of money in our current situation.

I think that's the issue. We are massively in debt to Venky's so why are Venky's sanctioning a £7m deal for a kid who might not ever be better than Championship level? It's a tough one to figure out. Maybe this really is the start of a concerted effort by Venky's to 'invest' in players with the intention of selling them at a profit a year or two down the line. Maybe Waggott's and Mogga's remit when they went to India was 'here's £10m for transfers, turn it into £30m and/or get us promoted'. If this is now the transfer policy then it's a welcome change. Bowyer pursued a similar transfer policy and was very good at it , but they stupidly potted him.  

So far Mogga has bought a lot of young players so the transfer policy is obvious. Some work, some don't. It's just that it's gone from a freebies and a million here and there to £7m on a 19 year old. It all seems very Venky's. They'll probably give him nowt in January!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I think that's the issue. We are massively in debt to Venky's so why are Venky's sanctioning a £7m deal for a kid who might not ever be better than Championship level? It's a tough one to figure out. Maybe this really is the start of a concerted effort by Venky's to 'invest' in players with the intention of selling them at a profit a year or two down the line. Maybe Waggott's and Mogga's remit when they went to India was 'here's £10m for transfers, turn it into £30m and/or get us promoted'. If this is now the transfer policy then it's a welcome change. Bowyer pursued a similar transfer policy and was very good at it , but they stupidly potted him.  

So far Mogga has bought a lot of young players so the transfer policy is obvious. Some work, some don't. It's just that it's gone from a freebies and a million here and there to £7m on a 19 year old. It all seems very Venky's. They'll probably give him nowt in January!

If that was the remit then we have definitely wasted 70% already. The only way the maths adds up is if we cash in on Dack.

9 hours ago, unsall said:

Nobody said he’s the new Messi, but he  will end up a decent forward, worth a go on a free, why do you come out with garbage like that, you say you hope you’re proved wrong, I really don’t think you mean that, think you hope he fails,you basically don’t know what you’re talking about, or you’re winding everybody up.

You really do talk nonsense.

Supported Rovers for 55+ years home and away including Europe and in the process probably spent a fortune when factoring in family tickets etc.

Also. played at a decent level myself until I busted my knee (as opposed to those who have never kicked a ball in anger in their life).

So don't try and tell me I don't care about Rovers or I don't know what I am talking about.

I hope Brereton proves a roaring success. as I do with all Rovers' signings, however, based on what I've seen of the lad, I think we've signed a dud in a £7million deal - it's as simple as that.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

If that was the remit then we have definitely wasted 70% already. The only way the maths adds up is if we cash in on Dack.

Not sure about that. BB will be paid for over the length of his contract so we might only have spent £3m so far (or will do in Jan) and then the rest will be over the next 3 years. As Mowbray said he expects him to be worth a lot more in the future. That seems to be the gamble. The only way I can see it working is if he does so well that a Prem team comes in for him (or we get to the Prem with him). For reference, Patrick Bamford has just gone to Leeds for £7m and I think he's a very good player at Championship level.  Gray went to Burnley for somewhere between £6m and £9m (depending on what you read)  in their last Championship season. Price inflation doesn't really happen to a great extent in the Championship unless the player is sold to a Prem club. 

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Not sure about that. BB will be paid for over the length of his contract so we might only have spent £3m so far (or will do in Jan) and then the rest will be over the next 3 years. As Mowbray said he expects him to be worth a lot more in the future. That seems to be the gamble. The only way I can see it working is if he does so well that a Prem team comes in for him (or we get to the Prem with him). For reference, Patrick Bamford has just gone to Leeds for £7m and I think he's a very good player at Championship level.  Gray went to Burnley for somewhere between £6m and £9m (depending on what you read)  in their last Championship season. Price inflation doesn't really happen to a great extent in the Championship unless the player is sold to a Prem club. 

Well that’s not quite the same as offering us £10m for promotion this season.

“Here’s £10m we’ll give you more in January and next Summer so no need to worry about committing all to deals.”?

Not sure how that works. If anything happened to Venkys finances and we couldn’t pay the rest of it because we didn’t put it aside.

6 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You really do talk nonsense.

Supported Rovers for 55+ years home and away including Europe and in the process probably spent a fortune when factoring in family tickets etc.

Also. played at a decent level myself until I busted my knee (as opposed to those who have never kicked a ball in anger in their life).

So don't try and tell me I don't care about Rovers or I don't know what I am talking about.

I hope Brereton proves a roaring success. as I do with all Rovers' signings, however, based on what I've seen of the lad, I think we've signed a dud in a £7million deal - it's as simple as that.

Well if you’ve done all that, how can you make an assessment on Brereton you’ve hardly seen him play, how you can say he’s a dud already is really a silly statement, I don’t know yet if he’ll turn out  a good ‘un or not, too early, as I’ve said many times  I believe Mowbray on this issue before you, mind you he’s a football manager and you’re an accountant, big difference. 

So you might think I talk nonsense, but the comments you come out with, I think it’s you who talks the nonsense, I am surprised you’ve watched Rovers through thick and thin and still come out with the comments you do, anyway looks like we both talk nonsense with very different views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, unsall said:

Well if you’ve done all that, how can you make an assessment on Brereton you’ve hardly seen him play, how you can say he’s a dud already is really a silly statement, I don’t know yet if he’ll turn out  a good ‘un or not, too early, as I’ve said many times  I believe Mowbray on this issue before you, mind you he’s a football manager and you’re an accountant, big difference. 

So you might think I talk nonsense, but the comments you come out with, I think it’s you who talks the nonsense, I am surprised you’ve watched Rovers through thick and thin and still come out with the comments you do, anyway looks like we both talk nonsense with very different views.

A player can be having a poor game but over the course of a match, if there's anything about him, he will usually do something that makes you think 'this lad might have a bit of something'.

None of us have seen Brereton as often as we would like in a blue and white shirt given the £7million deal but when I have seen him, I've felt underwhelmed and sat there scratching my head as I've seen nothing that suggests to me that we might have a 'proper player' on our hands.

I contrast that with Damien Duff who I first saw as a 17 year old in Rovers' reserves - his first few touches got me thinking we just might have a real talent here. 

Duff debuted as an 18 year old in the Premier League and was man of the match - fans left the ground purring. 

This was 20+ years ago, maybe you weren't even around then,  but the point I'm trying to make is that if a lad has real talent it makes you sit up and take notice just as Duff did as a 17 year old in that reserve match.  Sadly, Brereton draws a blank with me.  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

Chapman was a good example, different style of player obviously but used similar and just a kid but you could see something there, something that if not injured would have made Boro ask similar money to this deal if Rovers wanted him.

But you could clearly see something....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Chapman was a good example, different style of player obviously but used similar and just a kid but you could see something there, something that if not injured would have made Boro ask similar money to this deal if Rovers wanted him.

Still only featuring on the bench at Boro but I suppose injuries continue to have held him back.

15 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A player can be having poor game but over the course of a match, if there's anything about him, he will usually do something that makes you think 'this lad might have a bit of something'.

None of us have seen Brereton as often as we would like in a blue and white shirt given the £7million deal but when I have seen him, I've felt underwhelmed and sat there scratching my head as I've seen nothing that suggests to me that we might have a 'proper player' on our hands.

I contrast that with Damien Duff who I first saw as a 17 year old in Rovers' reserves - his first few touches got me thinking we just might have a real talent here. 

Duff debuted as an 18 year old in the Premier League and was man of the match - fans left the ground purring. 

This was 20+ years ago, maybe you weren't even around then,  but the point I'm trying to make is that if a lad has real talent it makes you sit up and take notice just as Duff did as a 17 year old in that reserve match.  Sadly, Brereton draws a blank with me.  

Agree with the sentiment but most players will come of badly when compared to Duff. Bellamy and Hoilett, maybe Chapman Mk1 are probably closest in a blue-and-white shirt.

Brereton needs to bulk up significantly and to use his strength like a Jason Roberts or a Danny Graham. He doesn’t appear to be particularly quick so he isn’t going to get people out of their seats with his play and needs to start finding the net. He won’t do that with Mowbray playing him out wide. Yes, he may drift wide to make space to run into but if Dack or Armstrong are occupying the space in front of him then so are opposition defenders.

He looks to have good feet and is happy to run at defenders rather than past them. He’ll look to make himself a chance to shoot from but right now he looks a long way off the first team. Right now I’d sooner use that spot to accommodate Rothwell.

23 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A player can be having poor game but over the course of a match, if there's anything about him, he will usually do something that makes you think 'this lad might have a bit of something'.

Certainly nothing thus far to suggest he's anywhere near that league. Tbf though players of Duff's class are pretty rare.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Certainly nothing thus far to suggest he's anywhere near that league. Tbf though players of Duff's class are pretty rare.

They are but the point I'm making is any player with talent shows something, Brereton has shown me nothing.  IMV, he just looks like a lad we've picked up on a free transfer hoping he'll develop into something useful - like when we signed Andy Needham on a free from Brum (not many will remember that one!).

Edited by Mercer

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Still only featuring on the bench at Boro but I suppose injuries continue to have held him back.

• Moderation Lead

I actually thought he did well yesterday after coming on tbh.

Some of the comments saying some on here want him to fail are just a bit bizarre.

Why on earth would any Rovers fan want any Rovers player not to succeed?

Seems like some strange point scoring to me.....

• Like 4

Just now, K-Hod said:

Some of the comments saying some on here want him to fail are just a bit bizarre.

Blatant dummy spitting as well, it's the way these days to jump straight on what was said not ask why it was said in the first place.

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

They are but the point I'm making is any player with talent shows something, Brereton has shown me nothing.  IMV, he just looks like a lad we've picked up on a free transfer hoping he'll develop into something useful.

Well I've argued long and loud that signing Brereton for a fee that big was a really odd decision. I think its highly likely that this transfer was a decision of the owners based on the advice contained in those 2 financial reviews over summer but, of course, I've no actual proof of that.

So no point going on, we signed him, he's ours and we just have to hope he comes good(at which point will Venkys sell him?)

Let's hope that the gaps in the squad we all (or nearly all) identified are rectified in January.

I must say that winning does produce the most mellow feelings for the whole weekend, a real tonic in fact!

Edited by 47er
typo

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

He did what was asked of him yesterday.

10 minutes lad, get out there and influence the game.

won a penalty and helped keep the play in their last third.

I just wished when he was running through on goal he could have gotten a shot away and “broke the back of the net”.

I couldn’t help think that Shearer would have done.

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Even if not you never know which way it'll go with such young players which brings us back to the BB fee I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Franky said:

He did what was asked of him yesterday.

10 minutes lad, get out there and influence the game.

won a penalty and helped keep the play in their last third.

I just wished when he was running through on goal he could have gotten a shot away and “broke the back of the net”.

I couldn’t help think that Shearer would have done.

I was willing him to shoot when he got through. Just pull the trigger!

• Like 1