BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Dare I ask anyone who went how he looked when he came on?

Looked a good finish on the telly.

Pretty much how he has looked in each game as a winger (sorry wide striker) - like a fish out of water. It really is surprising when Mowbray will change our system and play players out of position when there is no Graham but he has  Brereton sat on the bench.

Bizarre.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Dare I ask anyone who went how he looked when he came on?

Looked a goodifish on the telly.

Does a lot of talking and pointing. For a young lad that shows to me he has ability and confidence.

He needs to start and has a point to prove.

• Like 1

• Backroom

One thing Tony’s strikers (Graham) and ‘strikers’ (Dack and Palmer) have in common is all 3 stay on their feet under pressure if they can help it.

Brereton allegedly (I’ve only been to the Rotherham game this season) comes with a rep for easily going down. Could the reference to building up his strength be about giving him the big arse he lacks?

Just now, Mike E said:

One thing Tony’s strikers (Graham) and ‘strikers’ (Dack and Palmer) have in common is all 3 stay on their feet under pressure if they can help it.

Brereton allegedly (I’ve only been to the Rotherham game this season) comes with a rep for easily going down. Could the reference to building up his strength be about giving him the big arse he lacks?

Surely he should have checked out his ass before he signed him for 7 million. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Surely he should have checked out his ass before he signed him for 7 million. 

Agreed, just trying to clutch the straw that explains WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT PLAYING MORE OFTEN???

After being the one to ‘score’ at PNE, it should be tonight

9 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Agreed, just trying to clutch the straw that explains WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT PLAYING MORE OFTEN???

After being the one to ‘score’ at PNE, it should be tonight

It’s simple Mike. If Mowbray thought he was good enough to start, he would start him. He obviously doesn’t think he’s up to it.

To be fair to Mowbray, he has to pick his best side. Playing players he doesn’t think are good enough, just to give the fans a look at him wouldn’t be at all professional.

Just now, den said:

It’s simple Mike. If Mowbray thought he was good enough to start, he would start him. He obviously doesn’t think he’s up to it.

To be fair to Mowbray, he has to pick his best side. Playing players he doesn’t think are good enough, just to give the fans a look at him wouldn’t be at all professional.

I get that but he was good enough to start for Forest 33 times in the Championship in the previous two seasons but now Dack or Palmer are considered better as strikers. Just all seems odd to me thats all. 

29 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Good shout. 

I will probably be devoured by the usual suspects for this. Next thing the word will be that I agreed with Tonys choice, but I just wonder if we hadn't have conceded the sloppy goals inside the opening 10, could Palmer have worked well up there? He's a strong lad, good in the air, good feet and as you say he doesn't go down easy(not sure how big his arse is, must check the next day). He would have attributes closer to Graham than Dack and Brereton do. The result put the an end to the experiment anyway, thats for sure. 

I don't see any reason to play Dack there. Having him there doesn't play to our strengths at all. 

14 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Definitely has a hint of the Formica/Portuguese contingent about this one (or any other suspect Venkys/agent signing). 

Lets hope he starts tonight and puts in a performance. 

If he wasn't from England there would be more suspicion. He has played for England under age and has over 30 Championship game sunder his belt at 19, so he has pedigree. He is not just some random Portuguese player picked up under the pretense that he is the new "Shearer, Sutton, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Yakubu, Graham" Insert player name of choice  

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If he wasn't from England there would be more suspicion. He has played for England under age and has over 30 Championship game sunder his belt at 19, so he has pedigree. He is not just some random Portuguese player picked up under the pretense that he is the new "Shearer, Sutton, McCarthy, Santa Cruz, Yakubu, Graham" Insert player name of choice  

There is still suspicion, regardless of nationality for me. Let’s see how it plays out. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Against Bristol City, we were 2-1 down when Graham went off, and went on to collapse by losing 4-1.

Against Swansea City, we were 1-0 up when Graham went off, and went on to collapse by losing 3-1.

Against Preston North End, Graham didn't start, and we collapsed within 10 minutes. When Graham came on at half-time, his first-touch (I think) gave a us a goal, and we were at least performing better than in the first half.

There's a pattern to the team when Graham plays; we compete evenly as a minimum, and we certainly don't implode. I'd put this down to Graham's hold-up play; it simply takes pressure off the rest of the team and makes us a solid outfit.

The question is whether or not Brereton has shown that he can play in that lone striker role. I'm not convinced that he can, so I'm not averse to having him play in the wide right position if it means he gets game time, and I think he's done OK there so far in his cameos.

Also it was 0-0 Against Sheffield United when Graham went off.

4 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

Against Bristol City, we were 2-1 down when Graham went off, and went on to collapse by losing 4-1.

Against Swansea City, we were 1-0 up when Graham went off, and went on to collapse by losing 3-1.

Against Preston North End, Graham didn't start, and we collapsed within 10 minutes. When Graham came on at half-time, his first-touch (I think) gave a us a goal, and we were at least performing better than in the first half.

There's a pattern to the team when Graham plays; we compete evenly as a minimum, and we certainly don't implode. I'd put this down to Graham's hold-up play; it simply takes pressure off the rest of the team and makes us a solid outfit.

The question is whether or not Brereton has shown that he can play in that lone striker role. I'm not convinced that he can, so I'm not averse to having him play in the wide right position if it means he gets game time, and I think he's done OK there so far in his cameos.

Whilst I disagree that he has done OK in his cameos wide (barring v QPR a d Rotherham when he played far more centrally) theres total disregard towards the alternatives to Brereton when Graham is unavailable.

I dont think that anyone would or has doubted Grahams importance. He is the master at making the most of what has been, this season especially, a more often than not rather thoughtless process of getting the ball forward, with us playing more long balls than any other team.

In 2 of the 3 examples you give, v Swansea and Preston, we undoubtedly missed Graham but we had Dack up front v Swansea and both him and Palmer centrally v Preston. It quite clearly didnt work, and hasnt worked on the other occasions we have tried to play Dack up front. It also blunts our best player in the process. Brereton came on at Bristol I admit but was totally unfit as that was his debut.

Quite simply, imbalanced recruitment has left us over reliant on Graham but we have to weigh up what the best alternative is when he isnt fit, acknowledging that he wont necessarily be the same replacement. Brereton hasnt shown here bar glimmers in 2 cameos that he can play as a lone striker as he simply hasnt had a chance. He did impress and garner the reputation he had to warrant us paying the money we did playing as a lone striker. And crucially he is naturally a striker. Its ok being "not convinced" he can play there but the alternatives are far, far less capable of playing that role, and not even naturally strikers. Yes we will need to tamper with our tactics and approach regardless of who plays when Graham cant, but your theory is invalidated by its alternatives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Good shout. 

I will probably be devoured by the usual suspects for this. Next thing the word will be that I agreed with Tonys choice, but I just wonder if we hadn't have conceded the sloppy goals inside the opening 10, could Palmer have worked well up there? He's a strong lad, good in the air, good feet and as you say he doesn't go down easy(not sure how big his arse is, must check the next day). He would have attributes closer to Graham than Dack and Brereton do. The result put the an end to the experiment anyway, thats for sure. 

I don't see any reason to play Dack there. Having him there doesn't play to our strengths at all. 

I don't think he has the intelligence to play there. It's a very disciplined and often thankless position. 

I could be wrong but I don't get the impression he would make a good striker from what I've seen of him

Edited by Oldgregg86

2 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I don't think he has the intelligence to play there. It's a very disciplined and often thankless position. 

I could be wrong but I don't get the impression he would make a good striker from what I've seen of him

I meant better up there than Dack. Of course a natural striker is the best option every single time 

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:22, OnePhilT said:

Also, we were 3-0 up against Stoke when Graham went off, and that nearly ended up a disaster.