BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Im delighted that we are in a position to spend, we could become contenders again. However, we won’t if the ‘model’ is just young, English players. Too unbalanced approach for this relentless league. And the 7 million must and I wager could have been spent better than someone who’s as raw as BB.

Who replaces the experience of Mulgrew, Graham?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Im delighted that we are in a position to spend, we could become contenders again. However, we won’t if the ‘model’ is just young, English players. Too unbalanced approach for this relentless league. And the 7 million must and I wager could have been spent better than someone who’s as raw as BB.

The net can always be wider, no argument on that one. I just feel 7m isnt enough to guarantee replacing any key player, at this level, in 2018.

It’s a lot more useful than the 250k we spent on fees in 16/17 though! (signed Williams)

19 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I’d agree the team could do with a few players edging towards 30 and over who are ready to walk into the side and have calm  heads when late in the game 

Edited by Bbrovers2288
Typo

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Graham, Mulgrew and as proved recently, Conway.

These experienced players will leave a big hole and need to be replaced wisely.

Take these out of our side and Reed going back then what have we got left ?

2 hours ago, Biz said:

We are in a league that the more established players in his position are on 40/50+ grand a week. 

Look at Norwich. Rhodes, Hanley and Marshall would probably all get into our first 11 - but they sit on Norwich bench for how much a season? 100k a week? 5m a season without taxes?

7m is (apology for pun) Chicken feed. I can think of a few players we’ve signed on established wages and lesser fee, who’ve ended up costing us way more than 7m

For example, Leon Best.... 

You know the old one about ' Stopping digging '. You're just making yourself look foolish. Of course the fee was a massive amount of money for us to spend !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You know the old one about ' Stopping digging '. You're just making yourself look foolish. Of course the fee was a massive amount of money for us to spend !

Well I must be wrong if your only argument is stop digging and “of course the fee was a massive amount of money for us to spend”...

THATS ME TOLD HAHA

10 hours ago, Biz said:

He has been here 4 months, he hasn’t started yet but we are “ruining him”. Sorry, but I just don’t agree. I’ll keep saying it, and you can keep replying if you want - it’s too early to judge.

I stopped Biz but you've done an awful lot of replying since! You're just too keen to defend TM and Brereton or you're too stubborn to back down! Or both!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

I stopped Biz but you've done an awful lot of replying since! You're just too keen to defend TM and Brereton or you're too stubborn to back down! Or both!

He looks quite awful so far. Yesterday was the worst yet for me....

Really worried about what is behind the decision to sign him.Would obviously love to be proved wrong...

I do feel sorry for Brereton.  It is very hard to make any kind of positive impact constantly just coming on as a substitute.  

I think @meadows has it spot on with his information that this signing is not one that Mowbray has found, more something that has been suggested to the owners.  Given that information that Jim has come across it now all makes sense.  Brereton doesn't get game time because Mowbray prefers to play with a big strong centre forward who can hold up the ball and bring others like Dack into the game, from the limited bits that I have sign of Brereton he is not that type of player, he looks to be a type of player who likes to get in between the lines and get in behind the defenders, totally unsuited to the way we play.

If there is any get out clause (and I very much doubt that there is) then it should be exercised.  If there is not then the best thing that we can do is to send him out on loan in January to a team that suits the way he plays (preferably in the Championship) so that he can gain some form and hopefully get some belief that he can play at this level.

If the Brereton signing is a Venky's vanity project then it is a massive shame that they didn't just give that £7 million to Tony who would have spent in a much wiser way.

9 hours ago, USABlue said:

Missed most of the game.cos I overslept one thing did stand out, how poor was Ben Brereton today.  I know he was out if position but as a professional footballer he should be able to cintrol a ball coming at him, move with the ball, make a basic pass.  Brereton could do none of this today.  His confidence is shot.  Some suggest some time with the u23's.  Might nit be a bad idea till he gets some confidence back, lads gonna be ruined.  Wonder what young Rothwell is thinking.  Watching Palmer and BB and can't get a look in, must be regretting his move here.

Funny you say that because for me there was 7 out of the starting XI who couldn’t do any of them things too who are also professional footballers.

3 hours ago, Biz said:

m is (apology for pun) Chicken feed. I can think of a few players we’ve signed on established wages and lesser fee, who’ve ended up costing us way more than 7m

For example, Leon Best.... 

So he's cheaper than someone who was a complete waste of money. Brilliant ? Except he's probably not:-

BB - £7m + add-ons + (£15k pw est x 4 year = £3m) = £10m at the very least

LB - £3m + (£30k x 4 years = £6.25m) = £9.25m

Loving the 'wage flex' ?

Keep up. 

• Like 1

What surprises me is that Ben spends half-time warming up, by lazily knocking high balls across the pitch . I would have thought it would be better to get him involved with the half time team talk, even if it is just listening to the rest of his team-mates getting a bollocking for a poor performance. At least it might make him feel part of the squad. Then maybe when he comes on he might have some sort of idea what is required of him, instead of coming on to the right wing then having to swap over so that Tony can tell him what to do.

Edited by rigger

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

I do feel sorry for Brereton.  It is very hard to make any kind of positive impact constantly just coming on as a substitute.  

I think @meadows has it spot on with his information that this signing is not one that Mowbray has found, more something that has been suggested to the owners.  Given that information that Jim has come across it now all makes sense.  Brereton doesn't get game time because Mowbray prefers to play with a big strong centre forward who can hold up the ball and bring others like Dack into the game, from the limited bits that I have sign of Brereton he is not that type of player, he looks to be a type of player who likes to get in between the lines and get in behind the defenders, totally unsuited to the way we play.

If there is any get out clause (and I very much doubt that there is) then it should be exercised.  If there is not then the best thing that we can do is to send him out on loan in January to a team that suits the way he plays (preferably in the Championship) so that he can gain some form and hopefully get some belief that he can play at this level.

If the Brereton signing is a Venky's vanity project then it is a massive shame that they didn't just give that £7 million to Tony who would have spent in a much wiser way.

Like on Armstrong and then stuck him on the wing where he is ineffective? 

Anyway, he tried to sign Freeman for £4m and Celina for £3.5m. So he was given money to spend but couldn't get the players for whatever reason. Unless Freeman and Celina were someone else's 'picks' too? None of this really adds up. 

It's very convenient for 'Tony' that people are suddenly saying  the massive waste of money that is BB was not a 'Tony' signing.

1 hour ago, Kamy100 said:

Are you suggesting he’s being told to play him? Because I think everyone in that stadium yesterday would have put rothwell on instead. Either Tony’s being told to play him or he’s pig headedly sticking with him 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

I think it's pretty easy to defened Brereton. He has played about 90% of the little game time he has had out of position. Mowbray on the other hand... 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

35 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

:rolleyes: £7m for a Championship sub is not a huge fee????? I suggest you have backed yourself so far into a corner that you have lost all sense of perspective. 

I suggest you can only seemingly read what suits your own stilted perspective. 

To repeat myself - Norwich probably had 100k+ a week sat on the bench, yet 7m is an unacceptable amount to put into a player we hope will fulfil his potential... 

25 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

So he's cheaper than someone who was a complete waste of money. Brilliant ? Except he's probably not:-

BB - £7m + add-ons + (£15k pw est x 4 year = £3m) = £10m at the very least

LB - £3m + (£30k x 4 years = £6.25m) = £9.25m

Loving the 'wage flex' ?

Keep up. 

I thought you said his fee and wages would amount to 13/15m? We’ve stepped that back haven’t we? Back to your same level of nonsense thinking the “Portuguese experiment” was a cheap one.

Id say keep up, but I’m starting to think it’s beyond you.

22 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's BRFC in the Championship. You are delusional. 

In my opinion of football in 2018, calling 7m a huge sum is delusional. Thinking we’ve paid it all upfront is delusional. Suggesting he’s not good enough after 4 months and 0 starts for a player is delusional.

Just now, Biz said:

I thought you said his fee and wages would amount to 13/15m? We’ve stepped that back haven’t we?

I was just proving my point by underestimating what BB will cost, which is still MORE than Best. See, I can knock a few million off and still prove you wrong. You make it too easy because you constantly invent things. It's a bit of shame. 

• Like 1

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I was just proving my point by underestimating what BB will cost, which is still MORE than Best. See, I can knock a few million off and still prove you wrong. You make it too easy because you constantly invent things. It's a bit of shame. 

So you are “underestimating” but I am making things up. Sure Boris.