BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think he has looked decent too. It seems to me some fans are at the point now where they are happy when he doesn't play well as it "proves them right". Some definitely exaggerate how "badly" he has played and look for anything to nit pick about. Some can't separate the fact he is a young 19 year old who is still growing and learning , from the transfer fee.  

Before anyone jumps in. I am not saying all those who have doubts fall into the above category-some valid points are being made. 

Oh dear! You've lost it now! NO-ONE but NO-ONE on here is pleased that Brereton is not doing well. That's a nasty slur. I would prefer to be wrong about Brereton every day of the week because I AM A ROVERS SUPPORTER!

Having come close to agreeing this was a bad transfer, a friendly post from SB and Blue  has sent you scurrying backwards again! So you haven't changed your mind or you have!!! Which is it?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

I thought he was ok at Sheff Utd, though fairly anonymous.

But his sub performances at Ewood have been dreadful at late, no dressing those up.

What is clear is that 10 minutes here and there will do nothing for him. He isn’t good enough to start in the first team, so he either needs to play regularly for the U23s or go out on loan. Just like would be the case for any other raw 19 year old, the fact we’ve spent big money doesn’t alter where he is in his development.

• Like 1

The trouble is there are 2 elements to the whole thing.

Is he worth 7 mil and is he going to be good?

and then was it the right move to spend so much on 1 player in our position?

Whatever your view on point 2 is, will probably cloud your opinion on point 1

• Like 2

I'm by no stretch a professional footballer, but even playing 5/11 a side at weekends, when coming on later than everyone else takes time to get up to speed of the game, their touches are all warmed up etc and they're well settled into the game.

Now BB cost 7 million, through no fault of his own, and this shouldn't be an excuse. But a low on confidence striker being played as almost a right back at times coupled with this it's not really giving us a great insight as to what he's actually about, I'm yet to see him do anything he did in his time at Forest.

His movement when actually in the box is good and he's unlucky not to have a couple of goals. The one against Bolton was onside and great movement. Just needs a little run and I'm hoping against hope one hits his arse and trickles over the line at Newcastle.

5 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I'm by no stretch a professional footballer, but even playing 5/11 a side at weekends, when coming on later than everyone else takes time to get up to speed of the game, their touches are all warmed up etc and they're well settled into the game.

Now BB cost 7 million, through no fault of his own, and this shouldn't be an excuse. But a low on confidence striker being played as almost a right back at times coupled with this it's not really giving us a great insight as to what he's actually about, I'm yet to see him do anything he did in his time at Forest.

His movement when actually in the box is good and he's unlucky not to have a couple of goals. The one against Bolton was onside and great movement. Just needs a little run and I'm hoping against hope one hits his arse and trickles over the line at Newcastle.

I think some of the most critical on here have never played themselves or it was so long ago they have forgotten. 

Sensible post 

Hat-trick tomorrow ala David Bentley?

He's a young player with room to grow, admittedly he's looked a bit iffy thus far, but give him time.

A full preseason and a year or two learning from Danny Graham can't do his development any harm.

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think he has looked decent too. It seems to me some fans are at the point now where they are happy when he doesn't play well as it "proves them right". Some definitely exaggerate how "badly" he has played and look for anything to nit pick about. Some can't separate the fact he is a young 19 year old who is still growing and learning , from the transfer fee.  

Before anyone jumps in. I am not saying all those who have doubts fall into the above category-some valid points are being made. 

As one who goes to every game and has seen every minute of Brereton thus far, I haven't met any supporter who wants the lad to fail.  I think we all hope he will come good.  However, I think fans, like myself, are starting to have doubts based on what we have seen so far.  In truth I haven't seen one performance which has suggested that he will oust Graham from the team at this moment in time.  Hopefully he will prove me wrong and become a mainstay in the team but at present he looks far from a Championship player.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

As one who goes to every game and has seen every minute of Brereton thus far, I haven't met any supporter who wants the lad to fail.  I think we all hope he will come good.  However, I think fans, like myself, are starting to have doubts based on what we have seen so far.  In truth I haven't seen one performance which has suggested that he will oust Graham from the team at this moment in time.  Hopefully he will prove me wrong and become a mainstay in the team but at present he looks far from a Championship player.

Perhaps not. However go onto instagram and have a look at some of the stuff our own "fans" are writing in the comment section under the post about him signing. Very nasty stuff. 

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Perhaps not. However go onto instagram and have a look at some of the stuff our own "fans" are writing in the comment section under the post about him signing. Very nasty stuff. 

Internet 101- NEVER read the comments. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

For me it's not even about his ability, it's just a very silly gamble to take with all that money when we're in debt and need players in other positions.

And if it is a "project" that makes it even worse.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, booth said:

For me it's not even about his ability, it's just a very silly gamble to take with all that money when we're in debt and need players in other positions.

And if it is a "project" that makes it even worse.

That how I feel also. I cant help but feel we play a formation thats built around dack currently. I wonder if the arma and brereton signings are based around the knowledge that Dack will leave soon and we will start playing with 2 upfront maybe

Well, well, well. I’m surprised no-one has picked up on the following in today’s LT:

“Brereton, who has played 17 times for the club, arrives on a three-and-a-half year deal, with the fee undisclosed.That could reach £7m depending upon clauses in the deal being triggered”

So, the MOST he can cost, assuming we get promotion, he scores 30 a season and he gets more England caps than Bob Crompton (or whatever our clauses are) is £7million plus one man’s wages. And that’s if he’s a success. The key question is what are we in for if he is the next Chris Brown, which I expect we’ll never know.

• Like 2

If it could reach £7m then we must have shelled out quite a bit to start off with.

It's all stupid, imagine if he gets to the point of triggering one of the clauses costing the club a few million. Will Venkys tell Mowbray to drop him?

I remember people saying it was stupid when we signed Rhodes for all that money but at least he looked the part and played in the team from day 1, he also had a very good track record in League 1.

36 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Internet 101- NEVER read the comments. 

31 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

If you read comments under a messi post you'd think he was garbage. The tinternet is full of weirdos and any footballer reading his own comments is going to need therapy or thick skin

True, but Messi is Messi and posts about him will attract all sorts of weirdos from around the world, including the Ronaldo fan boys. A post about Brereton would only have comments from Rovers fans and possibly Forrest fans. Which is a pretty small sample. The amount of nastiness underneath the post is high considering that in my opinion. I would hope that a young 19 year old lad struggling for confidence wouldn't read them. I know my skin wasn't as thick at 19 as it is now as a grizzled and world weary 34 year old. 

I just don't see why some of our fans need to be so nasty to be honest. Just don't comment like if you're going to be a prick. 

32 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Forest fans' mood has turned from 50:50 to absolutely delighted - 'had their pants down' seems to be the most favoured description.

We said that about 4 million for Duffy. They think he forced the move for more money going off the ones i've seen on twitter.

Edited by Guest

I went to notts forest v rovers in 2017, we won 1-0, and I remember telling my mates "hes an absolute donkey that bloke", i was refering to Brereton (I had no idea who he was at the time). then when we signed him, I said to my same mates, "we are about to spend 7 million! didnt realise we even had 7 million! and were spending it on some bloke I have never heard of?" To which they replied "hes the player you said was a donkey at Forest away"..... I havent seen anything to change my opinion.

But heres hoping he somehow sparks into life and gets going. Tbh most stikers look at a young age show glimpses of primise...., so lets hope he springs into action. I would imagine we had already penned in a contract that said he was signing permanetly in january no matter what. Shame I would prefer to of spent 7 mill on maybe 1 or 2 players.

But thats football, game of opinions, (and mine doesnt matter) and I would love it! love it! if he to be proved me wrong!

Hello Gents

In peace....  I think Ben leaving was met with genuine annoyance and frustration by the vast majority of us - it reeked of short-termism and a Karanka being unwilling to go with our own youth product and instead wanting proven Championship performers.  Having said all that, there were a number of us (myself included) who have always felt that whilst Ben clearly had something about him, you want a striker to score goals and that's the only real measurement that means anything - in that respect he achieved very little, even when he had extensive game time last season.  The televised cup game against Arsenal was perhaps his best performance for us and I think it propelled him to an undeserved status - I'm sure it's the same for you boys, when one of your own breaks into the first team there's an affinity already established which results in rose tinted views.  In his defence he was played out wide far too much (despite our inability to score).  Certainly Karanka didn't fancy him up top and the latter part of his time at Forest is similar to his start with you.

BUT above anything else, he simply didn't hit the back of the net often enough and the majority of our fans would simply harp on about him being young etc etc in exactly the same way many of you guys have been doing.  Personally I didn't like the way he so quickly decided he wanted out - I felt he owed us a little more, clearly in retrospect it looks like we've robbed you, but we'll all have a better perspective by the end of the season.  If he can get some end product then you'll be laughing - mind, he'll need to stop diving all the time if he wants to do that - at times he could be embarrassing!

Good luck - cheers 

Edited by FwendlyForest
spelling
  • Like 6