BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

On 07/01/2019 at 08:29, philipl said:

My problem with Armstrong is not with his pace which is electric but on four occasions I have seen this season his pace has taken him with ball under control into positions to go it alone for either getting a penalty or making a strike on goal.  But something goes wrong in his head and he slows down and checks back. 

Shane Long was/is exactly the same. I think its down to confidence or not wanting to be in a position to fail. Long is a good finisher when he doesn't have time to think. Turns into Chris Brown when he does. Although his goal against Germany in the 1-0 win was magic, but I think it was one where he didn't have much time to think either. 

I would say Armstrong is a better finisher, but Long is definitely stronger and better in the air. There are some similarities though when it comes to composure and decision making. 

• Like 1

Reading the LT piece about Nuttall and commenter in chief Beetlejuice is blaming a lack of fan patience for BB’s poor form, then goes on to ask ‘are we not the 12th man?’

Can anyone point out an occasion where he hasn’t been supported at games? Or is it internet/real life confusion again?

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Reading the LT piece about Nuttall and commenter in chief Beetlejuice is blaming a lack of fan patience for BB’s poor form, then goes on to ask ‘are we not the 12th man?’

Can anyone point out an occasion where he hasn’t been supported at games? Or is it internet/real life confusion again?

That's an easy one. Blame the fans for a player playing badly. Perish the thought the club has brought a dud. Let's not blame the player or the manager. 

In my experience none of the big money forwards we signed had a lack of patience with them, and it was perhaps only after a prolonged period of games that the fans lost patience. I'm thinking Grabbi (seemingly liked to the end) Ward and Davies (both disliked by the end, but took a half season of messing it up before fans lost patience) and Jansen (who had a slow start then became rather good indeed.) 

32 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Some Rovers fans have a habit of blaming other Rovers fans.

These are the same types who told people shouting “Kean Out” to pipe down.

Until he'd finally relegated us then a lot of them were probably howling Kean out/Venkys out at that Wigan game......

In theory he is now behind Graham, Nuttall and Armstrong in the striker pecking order. Plus, would he even get on he pitch before a fit Samuel?

Not a good look for a 7million purchase and I would imagine there are some serious concerns behind the scenes.

But we are where we are and as Mozzer says he needs games ASAP, for whatever team that is.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Hopefully dropping below Nuttal will give Brereton a kick up the arse that he's not doing enough. He says he's been quite pleased with some of his cameos. He shouldn't be. First things first he needs to start working hard for the team. Mowbray said it in his post match interview that Nuttal regaining his place was largely down to him understanding he needed to defend from the front. Brereton needs to understand this also.

Secondly he needs to beef up and use his size more. He doesn't need to be a pure target man but it needs to be an aspect of his game. He could be decent at a few things but not excelling at any one (e.g. Armstrong and his pace) so needs to develop into more of an all rounder. 

I read Peter Crouch's book at Christmas. He was talking about how he was never a natural at heading the ball. It was learnt. And a major part of it for him was programming himself to forget he might get hurt. Brereton is a big lad but he needs more of this type of mentality. If he can do these things then the things he is naturally better at such as running with the ball will mean he can be a decent player. It's all up to him though. Needs to stop being happy with cameos and being one of the lads and push on

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Hopefully dropping below Nuttal will give Brereton a kick up the arse that he's not doing enough. He says he's been quite pleased with some of his cameos. He shouldn't be. First things first he needs to start working hard for the team. Mowbray said it in his post match interview that Nuttal regaining his place was largely down to him understanding he needed to defend from the front. Brereton needs to understand this also.

Secondly he needs to beef up and use his size more. He doesn't need to be a pure target man but it needs to be an aspect of his game. He could be decent at a few things but not excelling at any one (e.g. Armstrong and his pace) so needs to develop into more of an all rounder. 

I read Peter Crouch's book at Christmas. He was talking about how he was never a natural at heading the ball. It was learnt. And a major part of it for him was programming himself to forget he might get hurt. Brereton is a big lad but he needs more of this type of mentality. If he can do these things then the things he is naturally better at such as running with the ball will mean he can be a decent player. It's all up to him though. Needs to stop being happy with cameos and being one of the lads and push on

I agree with a lot of that Ben. Lot's of very tall guys are not great at heading the ball. You can see that Crouch wasn't a natural. It's not just about being brave, I loved a tackle as a player but I didn't relish a contested header.

There's always an exception to the rule though, Mike England was 6 ft 3inches tall with a fantastic spring. I've seen him attack a corner with a running leap and head the ball down into the top corner of the goal ! One of the reasons why he's still be best centre half I've ever seen.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

Brereton has quite a bit to work to do. I thought Nuttall was good at using his strength in the lone striker role against Millwall, but I've seen none of that from Brereton, yet. Brereton seems to be better than Nuttall when the ball is at his feet, but he needs to beef up and start showing his physical strength before he can handle the Graham role.

If this is being billed as a project, it's going to be a lengthy one!

Longer than his contract I fear!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

For no ‘natural’ Crouchie has done alright - he’s got the most headed goals in PL history.

Just goes to show that psychology is everything in football. Confidence, belief, mental strength...

Maybe we need to be finding out who coached Crouchie and bringing them into the club rather than throwing millions at another striker.

Its not really his overall performances that are the main concern. He doesnt even have a moment in games. Just something you can hang your hat on and go 'ok well he's got that about him' He just hasnt shown any sign of a strength yet. Hopefully his main strnegth is his finishing and he just needs a chance or two, but the pressure is really high on him now. Hopefully he is nowhere near social media or is confidence will get a lot worse

I really don't like picking out individuals for critism but he has been woeful. I want him to get games so he can do something positive. Anything. But he looks dreadful. 

Can't dribble, never looks in control of the ball.

Can't control the ball when it's played into him.

Isn't quick enough for running in behind.

Shys away from challenging for headers and flick ons.  

Really hope it turns around for the guy. He's a young lad but I just don't see how Tony is going to use him.

• Like 2