BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Nuttall looks head and shoulders above him. Metaphorically and literally. I’d love to know what attributes Mowbray believes the lad has. For a big lad he doesn’t even put himself about. It’s almost cruel watch a bloke’s confidence fading so badly and so rapidly.

The worry is that this becomes Mowbray’s golden albatross. The loss of face in costing £7m and the spectre of us never recouping close to that may mean he perseveres with young Ben.

Trying to put a positive spin on it, maybe we need to look at this as a long term investment (well, three years anyway) and get him out on loan to L1. It’s been a disasterous signing and someone at the club needs to swallow their pride.

On a more facetious note, wonder if Messina are looking for a striker right midfielder?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/jan/31/newsstory.sport5

We may need to cut our losses and/or get him some experience to bulk him up. Serie B might suit his pace. Maybe even secure a permanent deal out there.

The U23s were lacking a striker yesterday, it may be a good fit for both.

Really wanted him to get on the score sheet tonight but with Graham playing 120 minutes tonight I could see Brereton playing against Ipswich. :( 

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Once you take the flex into account the signing still looks a very good deal financially for Rovers. 

BB is a are talent. 

I'll make sure we get a profit.

I just Tweeted Marcelo Bielsa to send me the Brereton on fire in training video.

Just wait till that goes viral. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

• Like 2

At least Grabbi looked like he had something and got a goal or two. Compared technically to Brereton so far Grabbi looks like Messi.

Brereton needs to go out on loan ASAP but I can't see him becoming a championship level forward. At 19 he may be 'raw' and have potential but as other posters have seen, there haven't been any flashes/moments of ability. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

I just want to see something to cling onto, a turn of pace, a bit of skill, a blistering shot.

So far nothing; he seems about as fast as Jordan Rhodes, goes down as easily as Rhodes but not as cleverly but doesn’t seem to have a tenth of the awareness or finishing ability as Rhodes!

Out wide clearly isn’t working for him but when he got a sight of goal today he totally fluffed it.

I remember Grabbi smashing a free kick against the woodwork and it seemed to rattle for minutes, then he overpowered the Liverpool defence and powered a header home, you could latch onto those bits of hope but we don’t have anything yet.

As Stuart points out in the last couple of games Nuttall looks leaps and bounds ahead, imagine our reaction if someone wanted him for £2-3m never mind £7!

• Like 3

A big, big problem.

Mowbray should take responsibility on this whether it was his signing or not.

Firstly, if Brereton was Mowbray's decision, I think it raises serious question marks against his judgement on both individual players and the needs of the team (there are so many obvious areas where we need some quality).

Secondly, if Mowbray was not part of the decision to sign Brereton then perhaps he is not the principled man some would like us to believe.  No manager worth his salt would stand for such interference in team affairs.

I don't think sending out a £7million+ acquisition on loan is the answer.  If the lad had shown us at least a glimmer then it might be worthwhile but, IMV, he's shown us nothing and is lacking in so many areas.  I think damage limitation would be selling the lad for as much as we can as quickly as we can - and we would need to be prepared to write-off millions. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A big, big problem.

Firstly, if Brereton was Mowbray's decision, I think it raises serious question marks against his judgement on both individual players and the needs of the team (there are so many obvious areas where we need some quality).

Secondly, if Mowbray was not part of the decision to sign Brereton then perhaps he is not the principled man some would like us to believe.  No manager worth his salt would stand for such interference in team affairs.

I don't think sending out a £7million+ acquisition on loan is the answer.  If the lad had shown us at least a glimmer then it might be worthwhile but, IMV, he's shown us nothing and is lacking in so many areas.  I think damage limitation would be selling the lad for as much as we can as quickly as we can - and we would need to be prepared to write-off millions. 

If we could somehow persuade a club to give us £1Million or even £750,000 then I think we would be best off taking it cutting our loses. As you say a loan deal isn't the answer, it would be completely humiliating for all parties. If Mowbray was responsible for this signing (and I believe he was) then we need to bring someone in to take charge of recruitment and do due diligence as we can't afford another deal like this. The transfer market certainly isn't Mowbray's strong point.

Or we could give him a run of games in his favoured position before writing him off completely.

Brereton makes a mess of something on the wing tonight and the crowd goes "Brereton you're ****!"

Graham comes over to the wing at one point, makes a mess of something in much the same way as BB and the crowd go "Unlucky Danny, go on lad!"

Not saying the crowd have got on BB's back unduly but the point is neither are wide men and DG would probably look ust as bad if not worse if he was being played out of position out wide. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Or we could give him a run of games in his favoured position before writing him off completely.

What attributes does he have to suggest he is going to be a good striker though? He's weak, he doesn't head the ball, he's got no pace or skill to beat a man, he's doesn't work hard and he doesn't appear to be a natural finisher as was shown tonight when he was what 6-7 yards from goal and put in out for a throw in. He's shown nothing not even a glimpse of potential.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

What attributes does he have to suggest he is going to be a good striker though? He's weak, he doesn't head the ball, he's got no pace or skill to beat a man, he's doesn't work hard and he doesn't appear to be a natural finisher as was shown tonight when he was what 6-7 yards from goal and put in out for a throw in. He's shown nothing not even a glimpse of potential.

Not sure what it is, can see a bit of something in him. He looks short on confidence though and whether he'll ever get chance to show it is a different matter.

Agree with Mercer though. If it does turn out to be £7m wasted the buck lies 100% with the manager. IF it's not his signing and someone else is signing him ( which I doubt) he shouldn't be putting up with and agreeing to it.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How many points would you concede before you abandoned that particular gamble? Nuttall is playing way better, why should he lose his place to Brereton?

Doesn't make sense. He'll have to go to the under-23's, score a shedload of goals and earn a recall before he's given any game time at all for me.

• Like 1

I’m trying to be as supportive as possible.

So I watched him closely last night. Nothing more needs to be said about what he’s not doing well and the fact his confidence looks completely shot.

But to me, I *think* his game is about strong running with the ball, trying to nick fouls etc (I’m really reaching, as by the time he’s got up to speed, he’s usually either lost control of it or been dispossessed).

He isnt going to play up front and we have better options out wide, 10 mins here and there won’t help. So he MUST now be the main man for the U23s or loaned out, he needs to improve his game dramatically, not just play them and Nuttall promoted to the first team squad.

We can make do until May, I suppose. A new, EXPERIENCED striker has to be the priority in the summer, let’s hope there’s dosh left...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

A big, big problem.

In what form should Mowbray take responsibility? Would you like an official statement? 

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

If we could somehow persuade a club to give us £1Million or even £750,000 then I think we would be best off taking it cutting our loses. As you say a loan deal isn't the answer, it would be completely humiliating for all parties. If Mowbray was responsible for this signing (and I believe he was) then we need to bring someone in to take charge of recruitment and do due diligence as we can't afford another deal like this. The transfer market certainly isn't Mowbray's strong point.

Oh come on, taking a 6 million loss at this point would be madness. He's only 19. Not going great, but that would be panicking of the hugest order. 

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In what form should Mowbray take responsibility? Would you like an official statement? 

No I'd like him to drop the 3 at the back bullshit and create a simple system for very limited players. 

Put Brereton in the u23s team for the next few months use nuttal as back up for Graham. Sign a bloody centre back and a right winger.

Sutton said it live yesterday. "Blackburn are trying to play football but aren't good enough, get it into the striker and play from there". 

Anyone saying sell Brereton needs to get real. Do you really think Venkys will take a 5+ million hit on one player? 

As for who signed him, well if the manager signed him he needs pinning up because it was bonkers to do so. If Venkys signed him then is the manager as useful as we thought.

Besides from creating a workmanlike team spirit and falling on Dack and Graham I really don't see his other uses. He's mainly here to charm the owners in my book as he can't improve a team that much. Certainly defensively he can't.

Edited by Tom Stinny
  • Like 1

Poor signing at this point in time and completely silly tying all that money up in an unproven young lad no matter how long the payments are spread, I think that's a given now.

However as I've said from the start Mowbrays handling of him is extremely poor and is contributing as much as anything else to ruining whatever there might have been to see in the lad. I'd suggest the grumbles and questions are aimed in his direction rather than Brereton's at the min if Tony is trying to make him into something he isn't he's failing and if he's trying to justify the signing by keep chucking him on somewhere he's failing, don't look to blame the fans for this it is at the managers door end of.

Of course he could be told he has to play him whenever he can..........

• Like 2

He'll certainly never be this lone striker Mowbray seems to imply he think he'll be, would look far more comfortable in a 2.

Mowbray needs to do something drastically about this, you either change system to fit him in (unlikely whilst Dack is here) or loan him out/get him in the u23's. We're at real risk of completely ruining the guys career simply because our manager is too stubborn and persists with this wide striker shite. It's hard watching the kid there's no confidence there at all and it's like watching football aid where a celebrity comes on to play with some ex pros. 

There's clearly something about him with the size of the clubs that were sniffing around him and Forest fans reaction when he was first sold, but Mowbray seems incapable of getting any of it out of him.

It's a difficult ask we've seen Samuel struggle asked to play wide and one or two others so whilst it can be marked down as a learning curve there's a fine line between seeing if someone can get to grips with it or plunging them way out their depth were they'll sink everytime.  Moreover it doesn't help the team which is the most important thing, it hinders it and that's not fair on the rest of them nor the paying public who have to suffer a mangers whim or as you say stubbornness.

He needs to pull his head out of his arse with this one, tell everyone BB has a knock, give him a week off then put him in the u23s before easing him back in tail end of the season. If nothing else he can work on his strength and maybe get a few goals to get the confidence back again.

I said before I wouldn't be surprised to see him loaned back to Forest or something daft at some point then the whole thing will stink to high heaven !

• Like 1