BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

If we are forgetting the price tag on Brereton for now then he needs handling like Nuttall himself who banged in loads for the U23's then had a taste of first team, poached a goal or two but didn't shine at all so it was back to the u23's.  He's earned the right for another stab at it by grafting away and obviously filling out and working on other sides of his game away from the spotlight and the critics.

Same thing should apply here they can't say oh we''ve paid big money for him put him on a good contract so that automatically entitles him to a first team squad slot when he's contributing nothing then apply then opposite logic when questions are raised and say he's only a kid who needs development don't expect anything yet !

He needs developing so get him in the 'development squad' for a bit and let someone from there take his place on our bench for a bit as the next phase in their development.

That isn't closing the door on him or admitting defeat it's just another part of the learning curve and if the fee doesn't matter then that shouldn't matter unless those who signed him are worried about losing face.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

Exactly right, if it wasn’t for the price tag he’d be in the U23s already.

Obviously the last few months have only reinforced the strangeness of this signing.

But no shame in that for the lad, he is where he is development wise. Sitting on the first team bench will do little for him, he needs to work on his game by playing 90 minutes every week in a positive environment like Johnno’s team - Nuttall is the ready made example for its merits, so make the switch immediately and we’ll see him next season.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

It's funny, I look at Brereton and wonder what possessed us to part with that kind of money. Compare him with the likes of Graham etc. Then I remember playing football today. Shite standard. Pub league. More fights than through balls. And I think of the two lads we drafted in a few weeks back. Both 20yrs old. And even in the shite league I play in as an ageing fat bastard, they look like new born fish. I swear if you look closely enough you could see their hearts beating when they were getting kitted up! Brereton is just a boy. Putting aside the outlay he is a young lad. Let's forget any expectations and let him fulfill the potential that's clearly there in the eyes of the pros. I don't want to see him destroyed before he's even turned 20.

Disclaimer. He may have turned 20. I really have no idea.

Which of those two 20 year olds cost millions of pounds to sign?

Which of them have been nothing but playing wall to wall football for the last 10 years - no college, no job?

I get that he is young but the problem here is the outlay and investment. Particularly for this club at this moment in time. It was outlandish and could have been spent better. Dack and Armstrong cost less than £3m between them. Travis is home grown. Nuttall is one your older than those lads in your team and ‘looks’ twice the player Brereton is.

This is all about the money, I’m afraid. It bought Brereton but won’t buy him time. Already even the least hysterical fans are saying he needs to go into the U23s. A seven million pound reserve!

According to transfermarkt, he is the most expensive teenager ever to sign for a Championship club. Almost double the second. Neves was 20 when he was bought but even he was a regular at Porto from being 18. Looking through that list, multimillion pound deals for teenagers are rarely successful, and don’t work out for player or club. Cameron Jerome, Ched Evans Anthony Stokes even making the list representing centre forwards.

The fact that he looks to have no strikers instinct just makes it worse. He maybe even needs to be converted to a winger with the way he is playing. No way would he have shown the desire to get into the box for that second goal that Nuttall did yesterday. Not even sure he’d have got there in time! He has a long was to go and is starting with a big handicap.

338D8356-3B3D-46C7-A132-DF2A4889497F.jpeg

9 hours ago, patrickvalery said:

Putting aside the outlay he is a young lad. Let's forget any expectations and let him fulfill the potential that's clearly there in the eyes of the pros. I don't want to see him destroyed before he's even turned 20.

Who/What do you think would destroy him? Maybe vastly overpaying for an average talent and putting a huge burden on his shoulders?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

He wants to look at McBurnie at Swansea.

Tall and gangly as a stick with a touch like a midwife. But he runs at players, and in behind. Gets on the end of stuff too with good finishing.

That’s how I see B.B. turning out, doesn’t need to go all Incredible Hulk or turn into a target man. 

What have you seen so far that suggests he has a finisher's instinct in his game ? 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What have you seen so far that suggests he has a finisher's instinct in his game ? 

As well as the goals he has scored previously before coming here (not prolific but some good finishes), the comments on his finishing by TM and other players, and an exceptionally well taken goal at Preston that was ruled out wrongly for offside.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Come on S8, 'he's great in training', has been rolled out for every struggling player since day dot, means nowt.

Ok leave them out. 

The rest “suggests he has a finishers instinct in his game” - not exactly a massive stretch.

I’m not saying he’s going to be Ronaldo, I asked for a McBurnie!

Edited by S8 & Blue

1 minute ago, S8 & Blue said:

Ok leave them out. 

The rest “suggests he has a finishers instinct in his game” - not exactly a massive stretch.

I’m not saying he’s going to be Ronaldo, I asked for a McBurnie!

He didn't look a finisher against Newcastle when he had a great chance from 6-7 yards out and put it out for a throw. I'd expect a finisher to have at the very least hit the target. 

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He didn't look a finisher against Newcastle when he had a great chance from 6-7 yards out and put it out for a throw. I'd expect a finisher to have at the very least hit the target. 

Not that simple a chance in fairness. There was a defender right on him. When I read the comments from some fans on here I thought it was going to be a right sitter. It wasn't 

It seems every little thing he does or doesn't do is being over scrutinised 

If Graham did that, there would be nothing about it 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not that simple a chance in fairness. There was a defender right on him. When I read the comments from some fans on here I thought it was going to be a right sitter. It wasn't 

It wasn't a sitter by any means but he had time to get a shot away. He should have hit the target as a minimum. Wether it goes in or not is another story. Like the goal their lad scored from a similar position. I'd like to think that Big Brad would have got enough on that to keep it out.

I didn't think the Dack chance was a sitter either. He to take it quickly, their goalie was out in a flash and it was on his left foot.

30 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

He was more concerned about the imminent impact from a Toon player than with taking aim.

That will have to be knocked out of him. Literally.

I saw BB live on tv in quite a few England youth games and he looked good apart from a sometimes dodgy first touch, but nothing like at Rovers, so still have hopes for him.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Mattyblue said:

The fact he is now behind Nuttall says Mowbray has been scrutinising his form too...

Yep, he's obviously not impressing across the board, despite Mowbray's protestations that he's a finishing machine in training. We need to make a decision on Brereton before the window shuts, as him hanging around making the bench every so often for another five months is going to do nothing for him or us. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am quietly confident Revidge would notice

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It wasn't a sitter by any means but he had time to get a shot away. He should have hit the target as a minimum. Wether it goes in or not is another story. Like the goal their lad scored from a similar position. I'd like to think that Big Brad would have got enough on that to keep it out.

I didn't think the Dack chance was a sitter either. He to take it quickly, their goalie was out in a flash and it was on his left foot.

The Brereton Newcastle chance could even have been a penalty with VAR, it was very tough but he did end up looking a lemon with it going for a throw.

If that had been BB missing the Dack chance later on there’d have been meltdown and calls for heads to roll again.

On Graham too - I think his finishing in the last month or so has really not been up to his usual standards can think of at least a couple of one on ones etc.

Suppose they just don’t have that finisher’s instinct!

20 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

He was more concerned about the imminent impact from a Toon player than with taking aim.

I saw BB live on tv in quite a few England youth games and he looked good apart from a sometimes dodgy first touch, but nothing like at Rovers, so still have hopes for him.

Ya I think he was worried about the impact too much alright. Not good 

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You'd expect a good striker to hit the target and certainly not put it out for a throw.

As for Graham doing it one he didn't and I don't think that he would but the big difference is if Graham did it he still has 9 league goals this season and has been one of our best players, whereas Brereton has done nothing when he's played and is still yet to score after an expensive transfer. That chance was a very good opportunity to break his duck but he badly fluffed his lines.

16 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Youth games are completely different to Championship football. I've lost count of how many players over the years have looked to have great ability at youth level only to go on and do little in their career. You can't compare youth football to Championship football, for example if he played yesterday he wouldn't have encountered a centre back with the experience and strength of a James Collins at youth level.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

You've got to be focussed 100% on the ball and making a clean contact. Nothing else should be in your mind. If you get clattered you get clattered. It's still a game of physical contact.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

You'd expect a good striker to hit the target and certainly not put it out for a throw.

As for Graham doing it one he didn't and I don't think that he would but the big difference is if Graham did it he still has 9 league goals this season and has been one of our best players, whereas Brereton has done nothing when he's played and is still yet to score after an expensive transfer. That chance was a very good opportunity to break his duck but he badly fluffed his lines.

Youth games are completely different to Championship football. I've lost count of how many players over the years have looked to have great ability at youth level only to go on and do little in their career. You can't compare youth football to Championship football, for example if he played yesterday he wouldn't have encountered a centre back with the experience and strength of a James Collins at youth level.

Although I have watched Ben Brereton pretty much single handedly signal the end of World Cup winner Per Mertesacker’s career so... ??‍♂️

25 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

The Brereton Newcastle chance could even have been a penalty with VAR, it was very tough but he did end up looking a lemon with it going for a throw.

If that had been BB missing the Dack chance later on there’d have been meltdown and calls for heads to roll again.

On Graham too - I think his finishing in the last month or so has really not been up to his usual standards can think of at least a couple of one on ones etc.

Suppose they just don’t have that finisher’s instinct!

It might have been a pen given access to VAR but my Mk 1 eyeball still told me the shot went out for a throw in.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It might have been a pen given access to VAR but my Mk 1 eyeball still told me the shot went out for a throw in.

Haha I was suffering from Vast Alcohol Retina at the time so was glad of the replay.