BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

20 minutes ago, DE. said:

Only one sub from that Forest game is still here: Emnes, Stokes, Joao, Guthrie, Tomlinson, Brown, Fisher 

As far as the first team, not many left from that either: Raya, Nyambe, Ward, Hoban, Williams, Mahoney, Lowe, Akpan, Feeney, Bennett, Gallagher

Fair to say we've seen some significant improvement across the pitch since those dark days. 

Jesus Christ that central midfield just made me bring my lunch back up.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Jesus Christ that central midfield just made me bring my lunch back up.

That Lowe/Akpan centre midfield pairing will never be beaten in terms of sheer ineptness. A black hole that sucked the joy and life out of everything on and indeed off the pitch. 

• Like 5

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That team is particularly weak that day due to injuries. No Mulgrew, Lenihan, Conway, Graham and Marshall sold.

For much of the season under Coyle he had the privelidge of a strike partner in Graham (or Emnes) and Marshall and Conway providing crosses from outwide. He had Jota and Maghoma doing likewise last season and scored 6. We didnt struggle for goals under Coyle, his tactics left our defence exposed.

Also worth noting our goalkeeper for most of that season was Jason Steele - assume he was injured for this match? Other gone and now forgotten from the 16/17 squad - Adam Henley, Gordon Greer and Stephen Hendrie. 

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

That Lowe/Akpan centre midfield pairing will never be beaten in terms of sheer ineptness. A black hole that sucked the joy and life out of everything on and indeed off the pitch. 

We’d been beaten before we even took to the bloody pitch with those two dollopers in central midfield. 

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In spite of what people might think I'd love for him to be a success. We desperately need a striker at the moment and the repercussions from the Chokers of another massive flop on our future spending plans don't bear thinking about.

Having said that the World of football is littered with players who peaked at 18. Look back in the past at England U-18 teams. How many out of the 11 usually make it at top level ? 2 or 3 ?  Some times not even that many. I remember watching a game years ago when we had a forward who's name I've forgotten. He'd every trick in the book, he went past players like they weren't there. I thought " This lad can't fail ". A couple of years later he was playing in the Fourth Division !

Was it Danny cadamartri. He looked a good prospect and sizzled out as quickly as he came in. It's a point I think can be lost. I'd go as far as to say most promising players don't live up to there expectations and fulfill there potential. Whilst you can say he's still young he needs time you could equally say he's still young and we've invested in a player who might not be good enough. That's what worries me. I, like you have seen lots of players better than brereton evaporate down the leagues

45 minutes ago, DE. said:

Also worth noting our goalkeeper for most of that season was Jason Steele - assume he was injured for this match? Other gone and now forgotten from the 16/17 squad - Adam Henley, Gordon Greer and Stephen Hendrie. 

And Wes brown....Jesus 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Was it Danny cadamartri. He looked a good prospect and sizzled out as quickly as he came in. It's a point I think can be lost. I'd go as far as to say most promising players don't live up to there expectations and fulfill there potential. Whilst you can say he's still young he needs time you could equally say he's still young and we've invested in a player who might not be good enough. That's what worries me. I, like you have seen lots of players better than brereton evaporate down the leagues

No it wasn't him, he's a good example though. This lad was better than him.

20 hours ago, JeffRover said:

I’m quite relaxed when it comes to the whole Brereton debate but I do understand the concerns of many fans. I think the fans just want to see even the most minute glimmer of quality in there, to encourage them that he can be coached and will improve. However, to be quite frank about it he’s been worse than Chris Brown so far. Ducking out of headers, the first touch of a donkey along with a clumsy looking run that makes you think his brain and legs are disconnected. This is even more galling when you consider that as a football club we have been living off rations in recent years in terms of paying transfer fees. Some fans are also worried about the potential implications this may have on further spending in the summer. Mowbray claims he had a budget that he failed to spend in January, so these concerns are probably unfounded. Also, there is no point in trying to sugar coat the fee into something it isn’t. It was widely reported from the Nottingham end that it was £6-7 million and People trying to say “we pay it in instalments” don’t add credibility to their arguments. It is a pretty much universal practise to split a transfer fee over the length of an incoming players contract. I’m also in no doubt that everybody on this board is desperate for the lad to succeed, me included. But that doesn’t mean fans can’t judge a player with their own eyes and so far that has left a lot to be desired with regards to this transfer.

P.s     Those idiots who were involved in the very audable ironic cheers when Brereton scored during the warm up need shooting. The lad looked a bit pissed off and it looked like it created a very awkward atmosphere with the other players. One thing that won’t help matters are stupid arsewipes like that.

It seems the parallels between Ben and Chris are increasing.

Seemingly unable to score. Unconvincing (or even useless) in the majority of fans eyes - yet still with a hardcore support that will argue he's had a brilliant game if he does literally anything that isn't laughable.

Boos, jeering, sarcastic derision.

All Ben Brown needs now is his own song.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hasta said:

People who criticise Breretons performances, myself included, get told that we are being unfair as we are judging him based on his ability needing to match the price tag. I disagree (see my original post). I judge Mowbray on the fee.

I don't doubt that you have idiots who hurl abuse at our own players sat around you. However, as idiotic as they are, I think they are disappointed with Breretons lack of contribution in general rather than expect him to be amazing / the finished article. 

When you said that  "Because of his large transfer fee, many are expecting the finished article already and forget he is only n n n n nineteen", I presumed you had come across people on here and other forms of social media actually saying this. I actually agreed with your post other than that line.  I'd never seen anyone stating such things so asked who they were.

Now it turns out it's a couple of idiots who shout stuff, and you don't know if they do or do not hold that opinion,  you just think that they do.

This just rumbles on ?

My opinion is based on the idiots who slag him off, verbally, at games and listening to what folk whinge about. I have no idea what the general consensus is on here, I don't delve through pages of posts, I comment/react on the latest ones only.  Also, I am not on any other form of social media - at all. 

4 hours ago, DE. said:

Only one sub from that Forest game is still here: Emnes, Stokes, Joao, Guthrie, Tomlinson, Brown, Fisher 

As far as the first team, not many left from that either: Raya, Nyambe, Ward, Hoban, Williams, Mahoney, Lowe, Akpan, Feeney, Bennett, Gallagher

Fair to say we've seen some significant improvement across the pitch since those dark days. 

Anyone still think Mowbray isn't doing a decent job?? ??

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Anyone still think Mowbray isn't doing a decent job?? ??

He is obviously doing a good job.

But that team is not a true representation of what Mowbray inherited to be fair. Mulgrew, Lenihan, Conway, Evans and Graham were all injured that day, and of all the crap that came in, Hoban, Mahoney, Feeney, Lowe, Gallagher and Akpan all were only at the club to the summer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Doing a great job and long may this continue. He has plan for the long term. My view let him carry it on

What plan is that and what do you call the long term (2,3,4,5 years) ?

Ambitious managers don’t have “long term plans”.  They want and demand it from day one. Whether they get it is another matter. For me, long term plans is just an excuse for the present. 

In other words long term plans shouldn’t be the plan and I’m aware of any manager who thinks along those lines. Players are asked to look no further than the next game and a manager really should focus the same way. Do that and the future will sort itself out. Ignore the present for the future and you’re in trouble.

Edited by den
  • Like 2

Part right, all good gaffers have a plan and I think TM has but no way ever should you rest on your laurels or shoulder shrug and say it's ok we didn't expect too much this season anyway.

Realistic is one thing but complacent is another, remain ambitious at all times, That doesn't have to mean promotion it just means try and have the best season possible not settle a midtable plod.  To be fair I think he's trying to do that as you can't complain about the way they went about the game from the off on Sat but it's some of the players mentality I worry about and he's almost give them a free pass by pledging his loyalty to the regulars this season.

Lets hope they don't switch off now the window is past !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Even in the old days of the U-23's when player were older and much more established and weren't being handicapped by foreign imports at their clubs the number that ended up playing in the bottom tiers within a couple of years was pretty high. Signing any player is a gamble no matter how good they appear to be but signing 18 year olds is even more of a gamble.

Fun fact, we only have 3 “foreign players” in our U23s: Mols (Spa), Paton (Can) and the new lad Annesley (dual national Gibraltan).

Everyone else is not just British but English. Whilst this is quite noble and would support a thriving national team down the line - if every cub did it - it does make me wonder how far our scouts actually look to find value - or what their remit is.

(I know this wasn’t your point but I just thought it was interesting).

• Like 1