BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

The lad needs a run of nine or ten games up front before we can decide if it's a complete waste of £7m or not. 

Not out of position on the wing. Not dropping him again either after one game  as soon as he doesn't score or as soon as Danny Graham's aching bones recover sufficiently for him to turn out for an hour in the next match.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

It was good to have a good look at him tonight. He clearly plays a very different way to Graham: comes short for it a lot, turns the defender then runs at them. No surprise his cameos have been poor in a team set up for long diagonals to Graham. Be interesting to see him play in a team set up to leverage what he does.

Similar at Sheffield United away in the first half. Came short for the ball and linked up very well with Travis, Reed and Palmer.

He needs a goal or two desperately. Might work wonders for his confidence. For that though he needs minutes on the pitch and he probably won't get the chance the way he's been utilised so far this season

Edited by RevidgeBlue

"Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb trees it'll live it's whole life believing it's stupid"

BB is not a winger. Last night was his best game by far in a Rovers shirt but nothing of any note came of it and all his best moments were from a central position.

If Armstrong actually plays a good pass to him first half then maybe we're talking about a good performance topped off with a goal, or maybe he misses again. Hopefully gets some more time up front towards the end of the season.

Shows how low standards are for him that a few decent touches and a couple of runs and people are pleased with his performance. He did a few of the basics well but for me far too light weight especially for someone of his size, his balance is terrible and of course he missed a chance that your £7 Million man has to put away, instead he was miles away from even working the keeper. I think of his last 3 good chances two have gone out for a throw in and the other has ended up in row Z.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

Shows how low standards are for him that a few decent touches and a couple of runs and people are pleased with his performance. He did a few of the basics well but for me far too light weight especially for someone of his size, his balance is terrible and of course he missed a chance that your £7 Million man has to put away, instead he was miles away from even working the keeper. I think of his last 3 good chances two have gone out for a throw in and the other has ended up in row Z.

He is lightweight, but he's also 19...

How much did you weigh at 19?

Edited by Mellor Rover

I'm happy to reserve judgement on Brereton but I have to say he looks anything but convincing in terms of being someone who can lead an attack.  The way he allows himself to be bullied by defenders is not a good sign.  Playing wide seems to be the best position for him at the moment and he did show one or two nice touches last night without ever really looking convincing.  

Hopefully the lad will come good but at the moment he doesn't have the attributes required to play in a central role, particularly in terms of the way we play as a team.  Hopefully that may come in time but he has a lot to learn and I'm not sure how you make him stronger in terms of standing up to defenders who want to bully you.  Heart for a fight is something you have or you haven't.  Young Danny Butterworth is smaller in stature but has a much bigger heart in terms of being prepared to battle defenders who want to knock you about.

Brereton is very much a work in progress but will hopefully pick up how to play the role by watching Danny Graham in training and in matches.

7 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I'm happy to reserve judgement on Brereton but I have to say he looks anything but convincing in terms of being someone who can lead an attack.  The way he allows himself to be bullied by defenders is not a good sign.  Playing wide seems to be the best position for him at the moment and he did show one or two nice touches last night without ever really looking convincing.  

Hopefully the lad will come good but at the moment he doesn't have the attributes required to play in a central role, particularly in terms of the way we play as a team.  Hopefully that may come in time but he has a lot to learn and I'm not sure how you make him stronger in terms of standing up to defenders who want to bully you.  Heart for a fight is something you have or you haven't.  Young Danny Butterworth is smaller in stature but has a much bigger heart in terms of being prepared to battle defenders who want to knock you about.

Brereton is very much a work in progress but will hopefully pick up how to play the role by watching Danny Graham in training and in matches.

He’s got to be able to make a position his own Parson and at the moment he doesn’t look like he’ll ever be able to do that. That’s what I think you’re saying and it’s what a lot of us on here think. Being able to run with the ball does very little towards that.

I'm sure Butterworth is bemused as to why he's not being given the chances that BB is being given in the first team. 

I saw a replay of the goal he scored against Accy Stanley, he took the ball from his own half, ran the length of the pitch and fired it into the corner. If Brereton had done that for the U23s everyone would be saying to get him in the first team.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought he started well, some nice touches and runs with the ball at his feet.

Looks totally bereft of confidence of goal.

I don't understand Mowbray's logic.

We're told Brereton is one for the future, broken in slowly, kid gloves etc. There have been times when he could make a run-out with less pressure. e.g. 3-0 up against Hull and cruising. Does he come on? Nope.

Then last night he's thrown into a midweek away game against a team battling for survival? ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amo said:

I don't understand Mowbray's logic.

We're told Brereton is one for the future, broken in slowly, kid gloves etc. There have been times when he could make a run-out with less pressure. e.g. 3-0 up against Hull and cruising. Does he come on? Nope.

Then last night he's thrown into a midweek away game against a team battling for survival? ?

If I was in his shoes that's exactly the game I would want to be playing in. An away game so no real pressure from the fans and you're up against a very poor team. Fill yer boots !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

7 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Why did Mowbray/Waggott commit so much money on him? 

8 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The words Alf Thornton used to write in the LT when it was quite obvious we'd signed another bad un!

Butterworth should have been given his chance by now.

I love a player with heart who will run through the proverbial brick wall if need be.

You saw Mike Harrison, Parson - he had all the attributes.  He would have been a world beater if he'd the heart of a Speedie.

I really struggle with Brereton.  I honestly don't know what the lad has going for him.   What in your view are his attributes - physicality, aggression, pace, balance,  control, movement off the ball, vision, passing ability, aerial ability, finishing ability ?

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If I was in his shoes that's exactly the game I would want to be playing in. An away game so no real pressure from the fans and you're up against a very poor team. Fill yer boots !

No real pressure from the fans? How in God's name do you work that one out? With every passing game he fails to score in, he is under more pressure! 

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No real pressure from the fans? How in God's name do you work that one out? With every passing game he fails to score in, he is under more pressure! 

If you can't stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

Get's paid more in a week than some on here will get in a year.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Why did Mowbray/Waggott commit so much money on him? 

Came out of Balaji’s speculative betting pot. If he hadn’t paid for Brereton he’d have spent it on fixing a cricket match. He has another, smaller pot for general running costs because that bores him.

You heard it here first.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

In all seriousness, I’m thinking English Corrado Grabbi.

In fairness Grabbi was top scorer in Serie B before we signed him. 

I think comparisons are pointless when it comes to Brereton. I don't think we ever signed a player for so much and played him so little before. It's all very odd. Between that transfer and the lack of spending in January, it does raise questions with me about Mowbrays budget management.