BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Brereton looks like he needs to fill out a bit and get some conditioning and muscle into him.  Sadly, looking at the physical state of our team, Tony's backroom staff need a overhaul.  We are dead on 80 minutes generally. 

I expect Brereton to have a summer where he bulks up and starts next season as an asset 

46 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Brereton looks like he needs to fill out a bit and get some conditioning and muscle into him.  Sadly, looking at the physical state of our team, Tony's backroom staff need a overhaul.  We are dead on 80 minutes generally. 

I expect Brereton to have a summer where he bulks up and starts next season as an asset 

Been saying for a while the lad needs to put some size on. Way too lightweight, he showed the odd flash of ability last night for the first time ever, but I couldn’t help but laugh at one point when he picked the ball up on the edge of the box and the Reading centre half smashed him to the floor with minimal effort. He needs to get himself in the gym big time 

It makes you wonder what the hell he's doing fitness wise.

He's not 12 years old FFS!

He's an adult. He's 6 foot tall. He's only 6 months away from being the same age Mike Tyson was when he won the HEAVYWEIGHT championship of the World.

Unless he's got some kind of unknown wasting disorder. Being 'only 19' (he's actually pushing 20) isn't an excuse for getting pushed around like an afforementioned 12 year old playing against adults.

Edited by Husky

7 hours ago, Husky said:

It makes you wonder what the hell he's doing fitness wise.

He's not 12 years old FFS!

He's an adult. He's 6 foot tall. He's only 6 months away from being the same age Mike Tyson was when he won the HEAVYWEIGHT championship of the World.

Unless he's got some kind of unknown wasting disorder. Being 'only 19' (he's actually pushing 20) isn't an excuse for getting pushed around like an afforementioned 12 year old playing against adults.

Tyson was a freak of nature he was bench pressing about 200lbs when he was 14 ?

Some lads are just like that he'll probably always be slim he'll just have to try and make it work for himself, reminds me a bit of Paul Gallagher and he's still built like a whippet.

I get the impression Mowbray doesn't see him playing with Graham yet doesn't see him taking over Grahams role either he seems determined to ruin him by trying to make him a 'wide' striker - he isn't.  I'd be inclined to try him in the Dack role and let him play off DG.  He can run with the ball before he gets knocked off and he looks lively when he comes inside. Mowbray is missing a trick there as playing off Graham certainly helped Dack find his feet here after a slow start, one player can help make another after all and just think of the free kicks we'd get.

No idea whatsoever Mowbray is trying to do with this kid and i'm not sure he has there's certainly no evidence of anything.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I’d give him a few games now, we won’t be going up or down and he’s a big investment so let’s invest in him and get him playing.

My main concern was the corner second half where he didn’t seem to want to get in the box, wonder how much his penalty miss on England duty got to him 

36 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Tyson was a freak of nature he was bench pressing about 200lbs when he was 14 ?

Some lads are just like that he'll probably always be slim he'll just have to try and make it work for himself, reminds me a bit of Paul Gallagher and he's still built like a whippet.

I get the impression Mowbray doesn't see him playing with Graham yet doesn't see him taking over Grahams role either he seems determined to ruin him by trying to make him a 'wide' striker - he isn't.  I'd be inclined to try him in the Dack role and let him play off DG.  He can run with the ball before he gets knocked off and he looks lively when he comes inside. Mowbray is missing a trick there as playing off Graham certainly helped Dack find his feet here after a slow start, one player can help make another after all and just think of the free kicks we'd get.

No idea whatsoever Mowbray is trying to do with this kid and i'm not sure he has there's certainly no evidence of anything.

Theres no way in a million years that he can play over Dack.

He impressed most at Forest as a central striker. He should play there if at all. Obviously his main assets are not his strength or aeriel ability.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Theres no way in a million years that he can play over Dack.

He impressed most at Forest as a central striker. He should play there if at all. Obviously his main assets are not his strength or aeriel ability.

Nobody mentioned playing over Dack although he isn't infallible there's times he does sod all and needs hooking.

Was more thinking if Dack has a knock that means he needs resting or starting on the bench or Brereton coming on there as a sub and Dack moving elsewhere, which happens anyway. If Dack has had an ineffective game i'd rather him go wide than BB if a change is made but they want to keep him on., he's useless moved up top on his own.

Mowbray seems to want to go into experimental mode so it's another option that won't do any harm in trying. If we had a settled side (alien under TM) and were winning i'd say leave it alone but seeing as he'll be looking to justify signing this lad its got to be worth a try.

38 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’d give him a few games now, we won’t be going up or down and he’s a big investment so let’s invest in him and get him playing.

My main concern was the corner second half where he didn’t seem to want to get in the box, wonder how much his penalty miss on England duty got to him 

I wonder was he instructed not to? 

Having now seen every apearence that Ben as played i can honestly say the lad as something without doubt and  what i see is a lad that is trying to hard ..

Anyone who as played at a semi pro level or full pro level will see what is happening with him,he panicks to the point were he is not being natural also not helping with him playing out of his prefered postion ,you make mistakes you move away from your natural instincts just to get a touch of the ball and get some confidence in my opinion once he gets that goal be it off his arse in to the net or his shin it's going to be a big lift for him....He knows the fans expect (especialy with the price tag) not his doing but it's there .We saw his sense of humor come through at Brentford when he was warming up having pot shots at goal and every time it was his turn the Rovers fan were egging him on to a go old roar when he scored he did it 3 times scored all three on on all ocassions  he gave a big grin towards the Rovers fans followed by the other Rovers players encouraging him ...One thing i personaly have noticed with him is his heading game or lack off,just does not apear to have any coaching on that side of his game...

Has anyone else noticed that his feet are fucking massive?

He has the gait and the look of Cro-Magnon Man and I think that will terrify defenders as much as it terrifies himself and his teammates.

Its been a couple of games where he took up great positions for forcing a throw-in with a shot and Armstrong wouldn’t slip him in.

Armstrong is probably a “creationist” and is scared of what Brereton’s very existence means.

But I believe in this weird lad massively.

Keep him in the team please.

It’s coming.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2019 at 11:20, Parsonblue said:

I'm happy to reserve judgement on Brereton but I have to say he looks anything but convincing in terms of being someone who can lead an attack.  The way he allows himself to be bullied by defenders is not a good sign.  Playing wide seems to be the best position for him at the moment and he did show one or two nice touches last night without ever really looking convincing.  

Hopefully the lad will come good but at the moment he doesn't have the attributes required to play in a central role, particularly in terms of the way we play as a team.  Hopefully that may come in time but he has a lot to learn and I'm not sure how you make him stronger in terms of standing up to defenders who want to bully you.  Heart for a fight is something you have or you haven't.  Young Danny Butterworth is smaller in stature but has a much bigger heart in terms of being prepared to battle defenders who want to knock you about.

Brereton is very much a work in progress but will hopefully pick up how to play the role by watching Danny Graham in training and in matches.

We don't want another Graham type though, if we're going to improve the style of play,  (and I would say the results) we need a completely different type of player who isnt as one dimensional. Or failing that someone who is one dimensional but a lot more prolific and who regularly registers 20 + League goals a season.

Whether BB can be that man remains ver much to be seen admittedly but he's hardly being helped by the manager constantly playing him out of position.

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We don't want another Graham type though, if we're going to improve the style of play,  (and I would say the results) we need a completely different type of player who isnt as one dimensional. Or failing that someone who is one dimensional but a lot more prolific and who regularly registers 20 + League goals a season.

Whether BB can be that man remains ver much to be seen admittedly but he's hardly being helped by the manager constantly playing him out of position.

I agree. Graham is fundamental to the way we currently play and is a great exponent at holding the ball up. Mowbray has said he wants to change the way we play and I assume he means a passing game with quick players. I think he will want an Armstrong type who can run in behind but to play this way we will need several new players. Most of our current squad just don't have the necessary skills to play with pace and full of running. In my opinion though this will take a long time to do and might come at a considerable cost. And I just can't fathom out where Brereton would fit into such a system. He seems neither quick and doesn't seem to have a particularly good first touch.

• Like 1