BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Dropped Bell and Rodwell (two of the main offenders at Rotherham) and got Travis out of the firing line (been poor lately)... what more did you want, or expect and who did you want in their place?

Rodwell was injured and Bell apparently hadn't trained most of the week due to illness. So Travis ended up being the sacrificial lamb. Smallwood the worst performer last week kept his place. Bennett who's been next to useless all season was shoehorned into another position, one of a number of players out of position. Williams straight back in, did anyone other than Mowbray think he was a solution? Mulgrew has been poor of late yet continuously his place although that is probably more due to the managers negligence in January. 

If he isn't ruthless enough to ring the changes after 1 point from 6 games then he won't bet ruthless enough to make them in the summer, he has become to attached to too many players who are not up to standard.

11 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

They were injured/unfit. 

Fair enough, coincidence then.

And Smallwood really wasn’t the worst of them from where I was stood. 

The entire back four needed shooting for me.

Dishonourable mention for DG for his disgraceful effort/attitude for Rotherham’s opening goal.

• 1 month later...

Mowbray says he was allowed to sign who he wanted with the BB money, a few Championship ready players, for example, but he thought the best thing to do was to put the lot on a ‘development project’.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17568308.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-happy-with-ben-brereton-progress/

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

“I could have bought six or seven players for £1m each, whatever we paid for Ben, or we buy a talent that we think is going to be a massive asset for the football club down the line"

@Biz - confirmation on the price. 

That's it in a nutshell right there he really cannot see the wood for the trees although in reality I still suspect this signing was presented to him as a good idea rather than him chasing it !

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Mowbray says he was allowed to sign who he wanted with the BB money, a few Championship ready players, for example, but he thought the best thing to do was to put the lot on a ‘development project’.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17568308.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-happy-with-ben-brereton-progress/

Then he's wrecked our season hasn't he? Should have put it on a horse!

Edited by 47er
typo
  • Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Overall I wouldn't say he wrecked it as most would have taken consolidation at the start of the season. Mistakes made no doubt, but "wrecked?". Nah. 

In January we were within touching distance of the playoffs, if we’d spent the £6m on a few players at that point to help when injuries kicked in, then we could have still be contending at the top end.

So blowing that money has had a big negative impact on this season.

• Like 2

Just now, OJRovers said:

In January we were within touching distance of the playoffs, if we’d spent the £6m on a few players at that point to help when injuries kicked in, then we could have still be contending at the top end.

So blowing that money has had a big negative impact on this season.

Not making signings in January was certainly a mistake, however , Brereton or not, Mowbray says we had money to spend in January.  No one has ever said that signing Brereton impacted on what we would do in January. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Not making signings in January was certainly a mistake, however , Brereton or not, Mowbray says we had money to spend in January.  No one has ever said that signing Brereton impacted on what we would do in January. 

But we could have spent that 7m differently in the summer, never mind January. Think Mowbrays words will prove to be hollow ones when he no doubt signs a striker in the summer who will jump ahead of the goalless Brereton in the queue in a season we are allowed to judge him in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

“I could have bought six or seven players for £1m each, whatever we paid for Ben, or we buy a talent that we think is going to be a massive asset for the football club down the line"

@Biz - confirmation on the price. 

Sounds to me more like TM doesn't really know the price. He basically just said 'it was 6 million, or 7 million, or, hell, whatever it was we paid'.

• Like 1

I don't believe for a moment that Brereton was the managers signing. I'm more sure it's the owners signing with a warning to the manager to put up or ship out.

Although I won't lay any major blame at the players feet as he's been poorly managed this season. 

But...... You've got to admire the morals though yeah? Another manager who will pull the party line to keep his wage. At least that plonker Lambert called them out on it.

He was Mowbrays signing. How would he be "the owners signing"? That would mean they or someone else would have an idea about young English players. They don't. 

What I do find odd is that our business happened so late, so what I do suspect is there was only money released late. I could be wrong on that, but it would add up. 

• Like 1

I think it was his signing and the buck stops with him.

I imagine there was some kind of discussion around the club’s obvious new transfer policy re young, English players and he remembered that ‘amazing performance’ at Forest two years ago...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I imagine there was some kind of discussion around the club’s obvious new transfer policy re young, English players and he remembered that ‘amazing performance’ at Forest two years ago...

Ya, pretty much. I don't think anyone else remembered it though. Maybe Liam Feeney 

34 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Against Williams and Feeney wasn’t it?

Not what I’d call a credible site but it contains direct quotes.

http://glucoseclub.com/2019/04/mowbray-predicts-blackburn-will-be-fighting-off-bids-for-former-forest-striker/6265

We’ll be fighting off bids apparently.

I wonder, at what point will he ship out the more progressed Nuttall out on loan to make way for Brezza.

33 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not what I’d call a credible site but it contains direct quotes.

http://glucoseclub.com/2019/04/mowbray-predicts-blackburn-will-be-fighting-off-bids-for-former-forest-striker/6265

We’ll be fighting off bids apparently.

I wonder, at what point will he ship out the more progressed Nuttall out on loan to make way for Brezza.

The more progressed Nuttall...What an indictment!