BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Still don’t believe this was a Mowbray signing. If it was it’s a sackable offence.

If the plan is a long term one, why did we only sign a 19 year old to a 2 and a half year contract? If by some miracle he does anything next year and suddenly becomes hot property he’ll be going in to his final year. While I don’t think this will be a worry it’s pretty illogical. 

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Not what I’d call a credible site but it contains direct quotes.

http://glucoseclub.com/2019/04/mowbray-predicts-blackburn-will-be-fighting-off-bids-for-former-forest-striker/6265

We’ll be fighting off bids apparently.

I wonder, at what point will he ship out the more progressed Nuttall out on loan to make way for Brezza.

That's because it'll be what whoever recommended this deal will have told the owners, a lot of speaking to them via the press is going on now again by the looks of it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He was Mowbrays signing. How would he be "the owners signing"? That would mean they or someone else would have an idea about young English players. They don't. 

What I do find odd is that our business happened so late, so what I do suspect is there was only money released late. I could be wrong on that, but it would add up. 

I imagine that if someone had the ear of the owners, and whoever that is convinces the owners that he is a good signing and they stump up the money than that's how it would be the 'owners signing'. 

Then, if Mowbray doesn't want to look completely impotent he has to make out it's his idea.

All hypothetical of course...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stuart said:

Not what I’d call a credible site but it contains direct quotes.

http://glucoseclub.com/2019/04/mowbray-predicts-blackburn-will-be-fighting-off-bids-for-former-forest-striker/6265

We’ll be fighting off bids apparently.

I wonder, at what point will he ship out the more progressed Nuttall out on loan to make way for Brezza.

That websites head office is situated in India? 

There I think you will find the person who authorised the purchase of Ben, not Mowbray but of course he will claim he authorised it. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But we could have spent that 7m differently in the summer, never mind January. Think Mowbrays words will prove to be hollow ones when he no doubt signs a striker in the summer who will jump ahead of the goalless Brereton in the queue in a season we are allowed to judge him in.

Samuel will be ahead of him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If Samuel was fit now he'd definitely be in front of Brereton.

I fear that will be our new striker for next season. 

TM - saving owners money since summer 2018 - apparently.

Can see Samuel being loaned out to league one next season. Possibly even Nuttall.

If Brereton was an academy product it would be him first out on loan, but with that purchase price the club wouldn’t even consider it as it’d make them look dafter than they already do.

I think we’ll bring in a striker to compete with Graham, with BB seen as ‘next in line’ behind that.

Only thing that would change that structure for me is if we decide to change to a two upfront formation.

I often watch the players warm up before the match and Nuttall is an abysmal finisher. He can miss by miles from relatively close range.

I also noticed a flashback of Rhodes scoring against Forest, it's easy to forget how good he was in front of goal. He might not have been the complete forward but my God, he could finish. I'd actually like to see a cheeky loan bid for him next season. With Chapman getting behind the full backs and pinging balls across the 6yrd box, he'd tuck them away for fun.

8 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I often watch the players warm up before the match and Nuttall is an abysmal finisher. He can miss by miles from relatively close range.

I also noticed a flashback of Rhodes scoring against Forest, it's easy to forget how good he was in front of goal. He might not have been the complete forward but my God, he could finish. I'd actually like to see a cheeky loan bid for him next season. With Chapman getting behind the full backs and pinging balls across the 6yrd box, he'd tuck them away for fun.

Interesting that you don’t mention Brereton’s equally woeful finishing in warm ups.

Here’s some match stats though (as warm up stats can be misleading ;) ).

2018/19

Nuttall 13 app* (2 starts), 339 minutes, 2 goals

Brereton 24 app* (5 starts), 692 minutes, 0 goals

* Brereton played in 3 cup games, Nuttall’s games were all against Championship opponents.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Interesting that you don’t mention Brereton’s equally woeful finishing in warm ups.

2018/19

* Brereton played in 3 cup games, Nuttall’s games were all against Championship opponents.

Bit misleading if you don't include the training ground stats. 

Just now, Stuart said:

2018/19

Quite a few woeful finishers tbh Stuart.  Nuttall is the standout worst though. Even when he 'places it', he can be three or four yards wide.  Certainly not a natural finisher.  

Just now, Stuart said:

Top and bottom of it, as with most strikers, you never get a good picture of them until they get to start a few games in a row in their actual position.

Vast majority of Breretons minutes have been on the wing. Whilst he should’ve made more of an impact I do feel for him. Got to play a couple of games centrally for the u23’s and he actually looked decent and most importantly, he knew what he was doing in terms of his position. Then when back in the first time like at Villa, he gets chucked on to play 20 mins on the right wing: no wonder he look lost.

Clutching at straws too but he had two legit goals chalked off for offside at Bournemouth and Preston, real shame they didn’t stand as I’m sure his confidence would be higher and the spotlight/pressure would’ve been off him considerably.

• Like 1

Just now, Pedro said:

Quite a few woeful finishers tbh Stuart.  Nuttall is the standout worst though. Even when he 'places it', he can be three or four yards wide.  Certainly not a natural finisher.  

To be fair he’s banged them in consistently for the U23s. Seems to get on the end of crosses well enough. 

If Brereton had set Dack up on Tuesday as Nuttall did, people would be raving about it. A bit like ‘that disallowed goal’... which is approaching the realms of ‘that tackle’.

• Like 1

Just now, Miller11 said:

To be fair he’s banged them in consistently for the U23s. Seems to get on the end of crosses well enough. 

If Brereton had set Dack up on Tuesday as Nuttall did, people would be raving about it. A bit like ‘that disallowed goal’... which is approaching the realms of ‘that tackle’.

On Tuesday, Nuttall just turned and shot at goal didn't he?

25 minutes ago, Don Said said:

Top and bottom of it, as with most strikers, you never get a good picture of them until they get to start a few games in a row in their actual position.

Vast majority of Breretons minutes have been on the wing. Whilst he should’ve made more of an impact I do feel for him. Got to play a couple of games centrally for the u23’s and he actually looked decent and most importantly, he knew what he was doing in terms of his position. Then when back in the first time like at Villa, he gets chucked on to play 20 mins on the right wing: no wonder he look lost.

Clutching at straws too but he had two legit goals chalked off for offside at Bournemouth and Preston, real shame they didn’t stand as I’m sure his confidence would be higher and the spotlight/pressure would’ve been off him considerably.

Actually agree with the bit in bold.

However, Brereton hasn’t shown any glimpses of anything good in a Rovers shirt. In fact, some of his misses during matches suggest he is absolutely not a natural finisher. When you pay £7m for a forward you have every right to expect goals - or at the very least shots on target that keepers have just been keeping out.

He hasn’t really got close. Counting goals when he was offside is definitely clutching at straws.

Just now, Stuart said:

Actually agree with the bit in bold.

However, Brereton hasn’t shown any glimpses of anything good in a Rovers shirt. In fact, some of his misses during matches suggest he is absolutely not a natural finisher. When you pay £7m for a forward you have every right to expect goals - or at the very least shots on target that keepers have just been keeping out.

He hasn’t really got close. Counting goals when he was offside is definitely clutching at straws.

Did say he should’ve made more of an impact. He’s had a few bright moments but needs to do a lot more. Just think if he’s that highly rated, we need to give him that chance to play say 3 games upfront and then we’ll have had a better taste. Just like the u23s move did for him on a lower scale.

Sure Graham would be berated and wouldn’t show anything if 95% of his few minutes were from the wing.

Also said it was clutching at straws - they were both miles onside though so on other days would’ve stood and we’d be sat here now maybe saying 2 goals from those minutes considering he’s played on the wing wouldn’t be that bad... miles better ratio than Armstrong anyway. But again... clutching.

Just now, Don Said said:

Did say he should’ve made more of an impact. He’s had a few bright moments but needs to do a lot more. Just think if he’s that highly rated, we need to give him that chance to play say 3 games upfront and then we’ll have had a better taste. Just like the u23s move did for him on a lower scale.

Sure Graham would be berated and wouldn’t show anything if 95% of his few minutes were from the wing.

Also said it was clutching at straws - they were both miles onside though so on other days would’ve stood and we’d be sat here now maybe saying 2 goals from those minutes considering he’s played on the wing wouldn’t be that bad... miles better ratio than Armstrong anyway. But again... clutching.

That’s why I said “definitely” - as in I agree with you.

Brereton has played a couple of U23 games, Nuttall played 26 last season (scoring 21 goals, I think).

If Brereton hadn’t cost £7m none of us would be having this debate and he’d be fourth choice (or worse) behind Graham, Nuttall and Samuel. As it is, we’ve spent all that money and we still need a replacement for DG!

He really needs to come off the bench and get a goal but right now he’s relying on injuries to get a chance. It’s been a very poor piece of business by Mowbray.

• Like 1

Just now, Stuart said:

Brereton has played a couple of U23 games, Nuttall played 26 last season (scoring 21 goals, I think).

If Brereton hadn’t cost £7m none of us would be having this debate and he’d be fourth choice (or worse) behind Graham, Nuttall and Samuel. As it is, we’ve spent all that money and we still need a replacement for DG!

He really needs to come off the bench and get a goal but right now he’s relying on injuries to get a chance. It’s been a very poor piece of business by Mowbray.

I'm trying to think of a big money signing for Rovers that has made less of an impact, I suppose there must be one or two.

Just now, Stuart said:

Agree it’s poor business. I’m not advocating the signing btw and I’m equally as disappointed about it considering the gaping holes elsewhere.

Just providing abit of balance to the argument as there’s a chance he’ll come good in the future particularly as he’s rated by many (not always valuable) and he’s only 19 - much younger than Travis, Nyambe etc.

Fingers he comes good for Rovers sake.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm trying to think of a big money signing for Rovers that has made less of an impact, I suppose there must be one or two.

Hard to account for transfer fee inflation, but Jimmy Kerr used up our entire transfer budget, played about ten minutes and we got relegated. Kevin Davies and Grabbi’s fees in today’s money must be north of £20 million. 

• Like 1

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Hard to account for transfer fee inflation, but Jimmy Kerr used up our entire transfer budget, played about ten minutes and we got relegated. Kevin Davies and Grabbi’s fees in today’s money must be north of £20 million. 

I saw Jimmy Kerr a lot for Bury before he signed for Rovers, a pal of mine ( Tommy Claxton )  was in and out of the same team as Jimmy over there and I'd go over with him from time to time.  If Brereton turns out to be half as good a footballer as Jimmy Kerr was he'll do for me. Steve Agnew was another one who came with a big reputation but got a career finishing injury almost as soon as we signed him.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces