BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Hard to account for transfer fee inflation, but Jimmy Kerr used up our entire transfer budget, played about ten minutes and we got relegated. Kevin Davies and Grabbi’s fees in today’s money must be north of £20 million. 

Well he had a career-ending injury! No-one can prepare for that----a real tragedy.

Brereton on the other hand........

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

Quite a few woeful finishers tbh Stuart.  Nuttall is the standout worst though. Even when he 'places it', he can be three or four yards wide.  Certainly not a natural finisher.  

Yet i'd back him to get more than Samuel in a season if they played same number of games he might not be a natural finisher but he does somehow have a knack of poaching goals despite doing very little else. Always handy to have about those types.

At the moment Grabbi with his mighty 2 goals is pele compared to this bloke. That being said I’d be tempted to start him up front in each of the remaining games. Hopefully one ricochets of his shin or something and he gets some confidence and looks like a £7 million player.

My gut instinct is in 20 years time people will be talking about him as the worst signing in the clubs history. 

In his cameo yesterday I thought he was embarrassingly bad. He tried to control one ball and his touch was that bad and heavy Forest were able to counter from it. It was like we were a man short and a fan was asked to play. I honestly can't see anything about him despite Mowbray extolling his perceived virtues.

I try my best to give him a clean slate every appearance. At Villa, he did a passable impression of a footballer.

Yesterday, well, it was another horrendously bad cameo.  

End of the day, if he was out of our academy, he’d be nowhere near the first team. He isn’t, but he’s still at a youth development squad age and that’s where he has to stay for the foreseeable,  or a loan out. It can’t go on like this for the good of everyone involved.

• Like 3

On 12/04/2019 at 07:34, blueboy3333 said:

“I could have bought six or seven players for £1m each, whatever we paid for Ben, or we buy a talent that we think is going to be a massive asset for the football club down the line"

@Biz - confirmation on the price. 

Jesus, continuation of arguments from November - you do remember that one of the key points in the discussion was a 19 year old was probably on a more “reasonable” wage comparable to our current crop? Remember the “Wagott flex?”

I only ask that, because you’re quoting TM as if everything he says is fact, when you’ve done nothing but point out his “guff” for 23 months. 

Surely nobody thinks we could’ve added 5 or 6 first team players for his initial cost and the same outlay in wages?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Yesterday, well, it was another horrendously bad cameo.  

86th minute. You know how stupid it sounds to read such criticisms when lad was on the pitch for 1/20th of the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Ergo a ‘cameo’.

The lad is shot and such appearances, even if only for 10 minutes can’t be doing anything for his state of mind.

Horrendously bad is utter hyperbole as per MB.

Just now, Biz said:

86th minute. You know how stupid it sounds to read such criticisms when lad was on the pitch for 1/20th of the game.

Nuttall was on even less the other night but made a goal.

Just now, Biz said:

Surely nobody thinks we could’ve added 5 or 6 first team players for his initial cost and the same outlay in wages?

We could have got at least 3 maybe 4 good Championship players who unlike Brereton would have been of use this season.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

We could have got at least 3 maybe 4 good Championship players who unlike Brereton would have been of use this season.

Don’t be silly, it needs to be 5 or 6 or the straw man argument falls apart.

Brereton needs to start two back to back games in place of Danny Graham during this run in. He then needs to be judged as to whether he has anything worth persevering with. If not, he has to go on loan next season. Somehow, under Mowbray this lad has managed to regress rather than progress. Maybe letting the senior players pick the side, formation or tactics has this effect when one of the senior player’s places could be at risk.

• Like 2

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Nuttall was on even less the other night but made a goal.

Nuttall is looking a fantastic acquisition, and a potential, that’s a plus for the club’s recruitment from my perspective. Not an excuse to criticise someone else.

Plus, this assumption that transfer business as simple as we’d want it to be is a fallacy.

How many top end championship players could we sign for either a) less than 5m or b) on a wage comparable to a 19 year old ?

If you think this is simple stuff, I can only assume you’ve completely ignored the constant and exponential growth in transfer cost/wages for the last 30 years.

He was. I get no pleasure out of saying it, but it’s painful to watch the poor bugger.

Horrendously poor - I prefer to save that for Danny Murphy-esque performances, or team displays similar to Oldham away in 2017.

Just now, Biz said:

Plus, this assumption that transfer business as simple as we’d want it to be is a fallacy.

How many top end championship players could we sign for either a) less than 5m or b) on a wage comparable to a 19 year old ?

If you think this is simple stuff, I can only assume you’ve completely ignored the constant and exponential growth in transfer cost/wages for the last 30 years.

Sheffield United signed McGoldrick, Egan and Norwood combined for £6 Million. The trouble is you have previously said that you believe Brereton is on 3K a week which personally I think is laughable and very naïve to think that a £7 Million player regardless of age is on 3K a week. But if you genuinely believe that a £7 Million player is on 3K a week then it is pointless trying to reason with you.

• Like 1

You reckon Nuttall will make it at this level?

Nowhere near for me. I would imagine he’ll be sold to a League 1 or 2 club in the next 12 months. 

He’s come on leaps and bounds in 12 months, and I see no reason why this cannot continue.

You reckon Nuttall will make it at this level?

Nowhere near for me. I would imagine he’ll be sold to a League 1 or 2 club in the next 12 months. 

Yet it seems we are prepared to invest in developing a poorer Ben Brereton?

Is this an age-based decision?