BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you're ever going to score goals as a striker you've got to get in and around the penalty spot area on a regular basis. I don't know how many Ruud Van Nistll ruuy ( spelling ) scored at United but it was a lot and 95% of them came from in and around the six yard area. We don't score many goals with long shots, mainly because we don't try them.

We'll it's horses for courses. Some strikers can make a career outsode of the box. Le Tissier, Henry etc . But they're a rare breed. If youre going to score a lot while spending most of your time outside the penalty area you need to be something special.

Edited by joey_big_nose

I agree with the positive sentiments.

Not saying much but 

1) a significant improvement over Graham and Dack

2) for the first time he was moving like a footballer- previously he was easy to spot because he faffed around the football field. 

He was on the pitch for all of the second half and it seems quite a few hadn't spotted the half time subbing. Says to me he could yet come good if a DG/BB swap cannot be spotted.

• Like 1

Just now, philipl said:

I agree with the positive sentiments.

Not saying much but 

1) a significant improvement over Graham and Dack

2) for the first time he was moving like a footballer- previously he was easy to spot because he faffed around the football field. 

He was on the pitch for all of the second half and it seems quite a few hadn't spotted the half time subbing. Says to me he could yet come good if a DG/BB swap cannot be spotted.

Far from the finished article but his runs pull defenders with him and create space in front of them for the likes of Travis and Rothwell. 

Wasn't expecting it but I thought today I heard the first rolling of the bell for Danny Graham; there’s no way we’ll go up with him up front.

Brereton needs to bulk up and start knocking defenders around. If he can also learn to play with his back to goal like Graham then we might have half a player. At the moment he flatters to deceive and seems to be a "nice" boy who doesn't  like the rough stuff. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Brereton needs to bulk up and start knocking defenders around. If he can also learn to play with his back to goal like Graham then we might have half a player. At the moment he flatters to deceive and seems to be a "nice" boy who doesn't  like the rough stuff. 

Quite a few of our team fit into that category Jim. I thought we got " bullied "by Norwich tonight.

• Backroom

One issue I did notice tonight which frustrated me - at one point Brereton was in the corner at Norwich's end of the pitch battling for the ball with one of their defenders. He ended up losing the battle and the ball broke with Norwich. I didn't mind that he lost out, but his reaction irked me. Just a dejected slump of the shoulders as he strolled casually back as Norwich broke away. There was a player next to him who had the exact same reaction - I think it was Dack, but I might be wrong. Either way that summed up one of the differences between our attitude and Norwich's attitude. If I was Mowbray I'd be highlighting this incident and asking why these players weren't chasing back in an effort to harry and get that ball back, rather than just giving up and watching forlornly as the opposition took off. Perhaps Dack was a little bit tired by that point, but Brereton hadn't been on that long so no such excuse from him. It just didn't sit right with me. I want to see our players busting a gut even if they lose out on their initial challenges. The body language was just all wrong and really needs to be worked on if we're going to transform this team into genuine winners.

• Like 4

Norwich showed us how it is done tonight. Organised, every man gave their absolute all, chased every ball down all over the park, no smashing the ball in blind panic like us. We were a real let down and went back to low-intensity, stand off the ball, invite attackers into the danger areas so we can just watch and admire the ball whistle past.  Seen it all too often.

Bell and Bennett were woeful and cannot continue as fullbacks next season, a real Achilles heel. Dack is looking fatter and unfitter by the week and overall, we were flukey to have avoided a drubbing.

• Like 3