BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

On 28/04/2019 at 08:16, DE. said:

One issue I did notice tonight which frustrated me - at one point Brereton was in the corner at Norwich's end of the pitch battling for the ball with one of their defenders. He ended up losing the battle and the ball broke with Norwich. I didn't mind that he lost out, but his reaction irked me. Just a dejected slump of the shoulders as he strolled casually back as Norwich broke away.

Could you imagine Dickov doing that?

I would love to see some hardy, bolshy lads signed up over the summer and spread throughout the team.

On 28/04/2019 at 09:16, DE. said:

One issue I did notice tonight which frustrated me - at one point Brereton was in the corner at Norwich's end of the pitch battling for the ball with one of their defenders. He ended up losing the battle and the ball broke with Norwich. I didn't mind that he lost out, but his reaction irked me. Just a dejected slump of the shoulders as he strolled casually back as Norwich broke away.

It was Dack and it was a disgrace. When fans decide on the basis of that display that "Brereton is a player" I'm just staggered. Can't head it, can't trap it and won't try to regain  a ball he's lost. That wasn't the only example from him.

This is football not ballet ( for which he isn't strong enough).

As for Dack he has been coasting for weeks if not months.

What's the manager doing about it?

Dacks mind is clearly elsewhere but it often is, wouldn't surprise me if TMs letting him play even if he has a knock or strain because he wants him to try and focus otherwise he'd just be off knocking about with the Z listers.

Edited by tomphil

Just now, tomphil said:

Dacks mind is clearly elsewhere but it often is, wouldn't surprise me if TMs letting him play even if he has a knock or strain because he wants him to try and focus otherwise he'd just be off knocking about with the Z listers.

Yet he’s contributed more than anyone else this season.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 08:16, Paul Mani said:

He’s just turned 20 pal. ??

Yes, 2 years older than Daniel Loader, an 18 year old who debuted for Reading aged 16. Did you see his goal this weekend? Brereton has done nothing that good the whole season.

By the way, Loader didn't cost £7M. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

It was Dack and it was a disgrace. When fans decide on the basis of that display that "Brereton is a player" I'm just staggered. Can't head it, can't trap it and won't try to regain  a ball he's lost. That wasn't the only example from him.

This is football not ballet ( for which he isn't strong enough).

As for Dack he has been coasting for weeks if not months.

What's the manager doing about it?

Yeah I saw that incident. Dack was in bit a bit of a tussle for the ball out on the wing and lost out. He just let the Norwich player run away with the ball downfield.  Can you see Speedie doing that,  or Shearer ? I keep banging about it but we lack heart and we have done for years. I'd bet a pound to a penny he'd be thinking more about having a night out in London that beating Norwich.

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Yet he’s contributed more than anyone else this season.

That's what you get with enigmas if they play 40 games the team will have to carry them in 20 but it only takes a touch to score or set up a goal obviously.

Key is learning how to manage them so he shouldn't be immune to getting the hook in games or being dropped when he isn't putting it in. You need leaders on the pitch in his earhole all the time when he's not pulling his weight.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Just now, tomphil said:

That's what you get with enigmas if they play 40 games the team will have to carry them in 20 but it only takes a touch to score or set up a goal obviously.

Key is learning how to manage them so he shouldn't be immune to getting the hook in games or being dropped when he isn't putting it in. You need leaders on the pitch in his earhole all the time when he's not pulling his weight.

I think for his first season at this level he has done well, and has been managed effectively.

His form tended to echo the team for me, in a rut - looked lethargic, trying to hard, to many touches. In the good runs, looks a real handful, poaches and sets up goals.

Id definitely hope to keep hold of him.

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

I think for his first season at this level he has done well, and has been managed effectively.

His form tended to echo the team for me, in a rut - looked lethargic, trying to hard, to many touches. In the good runs, looks a real handful, poaches and sets up goals.

Id definitely hope to keep hold of him.

Yep the way I see it with him he's more valuable in the bigger picture to the team to keep hold of unless in the unlikely event there is a concrete offer well north of 15 million.

Anything less not worth losing him and they'll never replace him without immediately spending a large fee on someone similar and there isn't anyone I've seen.

In terms of goals and assists he's done better than I thought he would but i'd still want a lot more from his all round game as you say though it's just inconsistency like the team in general.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep the way I see it with him he's more valuable in the bigger picture to the team to keep hold of unless in the unlikely event there is a concrete offer well north of 15 million.

Anything less not worth losing him and they'll never replace him without immediately spending a large fee on someone similar and there isn't anyone I've seen.

In terms of goals and assists he's done better than I thought he would but i'd still want a lot more from his all round game as you say though it's just inconsistency like the team in general.

He could be whatever he wants to be When he's on song he's Rodney  Marsh MK 2. A matchwinner. If he's not careful he'll waste his career. The lower divisions are full of players with ability but the wrong attitude.

• Like 1

Can't help but think next season is a career defining one for Dack. He needs to get a good pre-season under his belt and turn up in peak physical condition. Having one season under his belt at this level is a positive, I hope we will really see the best of him next season and he pushes on to be a really top player. 

• Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He could be whatever he wants to be When he's on song he's Rodney  Marsh MK 2. A matchwinner. If he's not careful he'll waste his career. The lower divisions are full of players with ability but the wrong attitude.

Dack needs to reassess what he’s trying to do on a football field IMO. He’s not finding the spaces he did previously and the best way to do that is to get back to the simple midfielders game of get yourself into a space, recieve the ball and lay it off early. Even Messi does that probably more often than we think.  Do that for 90% of the game and defenders will give you the room. The first thing that seems to be in his mind is to turn and run with the ball, but if that’s what you’re going to base your game around then defenders will find it easier.

save the dribbling and running at people until there’s really something opening up in front of you. Don’t be so stereotyped in your play.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How fast is Ben Brereton? Is it likely he ran a 10k today in 37 minutes?! Spotted the same name in Market Drayton 10k results I ran in this morning. It’s not far from Stoke, so not beyond the realms of possibility.

if it is, he beat me anyway 

1A2EE1D2-8E94-4C40-9C4B-7596F6E9DA5D.png

• 3 weeks later...

Round and round we go.

Mowbray has already confirmed this himself.

”I could have bought six or seven players for £1m each, whatever we paid for Ben, or we buy a talent that we think is going to be a massive asset for the football club down the line.”

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17568308.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-happy-with-ben-brereton-progress/

Really not sure why this point keeps being disputed as some kind of defence. Although the price tag was stupid, well over the odds and proven to be poor value (so far), ultimately he needs to either come good this season or go out on loan (ideally abroad) in January.

• Like 2

Quoting myself from another thread...

"Ah, picking up on PriceOfFootball's tweet here: https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1108621602051289089?s=20, we've "entered transfer agreements amounting to net transfer fees payable of £7.6m" since these accounts.

Hard to say whether that includes performance-based add-ons (apparently we potentially owe another £2.1m on purchases based on performance add-ons, but that may be for 17-18, so for the likes of Dack, Samuel, Bell, etc. but not including this years' additions)

Let's say Armstrong was £1.75m, Rothwell and Davenport £400k. Maybe another £200k on Chapman, Lyons, Annesley, and Durrant (maybe the former three are too recent to be included), plus loan fees...? Doubt we've received much for outgoing loans. That suggests Brereton's initial cost was about £5.25m."

• Like 1

As above it was in the Blackburn Rovers end of year accounts (which are audited) said we had made transfers last summer of £7.6m. This is the minimum we committed. So we're paying at least £5.25m. We don't know how quickly this number rises with appearances etc.