BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

7 minutes ago, Amo said:

At the risk of derailing the thread, with him stating that the entire midfield was out with injury I reckon it was the one the year after.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/tottenham-hotspur-v-blackburn-rovers-12-february-1994-21550/

Mark Atkins also assisted Gallachers goal in this game with the fine through ball mentioned in the original post

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

I was there and on the MOTD highlights

I didn't get on the highlights but I remember going down on the train to this one with my mum, I'd have to see the goals again but I think they were both down our end in front of a really big away following.

Anyway, Brereton....

Edited by MarkBRFC

19 hours ago, Atko's Engine said:

Nice to see some respect for the Atko though... ?

I’ve always defended Super Atko. He was one of our most under rated players for many a year and was instrumental in our winning at Wembley against Leicester on that blistering hot day. I’d like to see his mileage figures against those of other players in that game. What’s more he had the intelligence to choose Darwen as a home instead of those tips you call the Ribble Valley and Formby. Top man.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 03/11/2018 at 09:59, Crimpshrine said:

I was talking to a Rovers' scout a couple of weeks ago.

His remit is to report only on young (23 or below) British players who are proven at their particular age levels ( ideally international appearances),  will accept a reasonable wage ( he didn't know what this figure was ) and will increase in value over a 2 year period. That's it - Rovers will not permanently sign anyone who does not fit this description. That is what he understands ( not sure if Rothwell or Bell fit completely !)

He was not aware of any Rovers scout watching Brereton or any reports sent directly to Mowbray - but he admits he wouldn't necessarily know this anyway but sometimes he hears things on the scouting grapevine.

He thinks the fact that Liverpool, Man Utd and Chelsea definitely had scouts watching  Brereton last season made it a bit of a coup for Rovers to get him but he was not necessarily Mowbray's choice. He just ticked all the boxes and was seen as an investment.

Loans and free signings are entirely in Mowbray's hands but permanent signings, so he has been told,  could be more of a club decision based on the above.  

Is Gallagher another ‘different route’?

whoever scouted and  sanctioned the transfer of brereton should be sacked forthwith,never in my long football watching career have a seen a player who is completely without any decent attributes whatsoever,he can`t pass,he can`t run,he can`t head a football,he can`t trap a ball,he`s as weak as a kitten,he`s got no awareness and he does`nt even look like he`s interested,bloody hell,even chris brown had some good points,desperately bad as he was,he did make himself a nuisance to the opposition centre backs

• Like 2

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

whoever scouted and  sanctioned the transfer of brereton should be sacked forthwith,never in my long football watching career have a seen a player who is completely without any decent attributes whatsoever,he can`t pass,he can`t run,he can`t head a football,he can`t trap a ball,he`s as weak as a kitten,he`s got no awareness and he does`nt even look like he`s interested,bloody hell,even chris brown had some good points,desperately bad as he was,he did make himself a nuisance to the opposition centre backs

Just to clarify, are you saying you don't rate Brereton that highly? 

• Like 3

I too am sceptical that Brereton will come good and that he has yet to make any real impression on me except vs a very poor Bolton side.

With what we’ve already sunk into him i think it’s worth giving him another go when fit through the middle. Especially if we try to move the ball on the deck and use his movement in the channels.

• Like 1

How many matches has Brererton played in his natural position though?

No doubt about it the 7 million could have been spent better, on the here and now rather than potential but without a run of games and continuity it's hard for any player to get in a rhythm and make an impression.

Armstrong is played every week and rarely makes an impression.

Edited by islander200

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Crown Football limited

Something tells me if it wasn't he probably wouldn't be here, neither would Walton but that's the world we live in.

Yes, funny too that Nyambe has struggled to get into the side since he left Crown...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

How many matches has Brererton played in his natural position though?

No doubt about it the 7 million could have been spent better, on the here and now rather than potential but without a run of games and continuity it's hard for any player to get in a rhythm and make an impression.

Armstrong is played every week and rarely makes an impression.

He started 2 games up front last season. Bolton and Sheffield United.

Once fit he needs to be given a run in the team playing as a centre forward.

Give him 6 games and assess him then. 7 million is just too much to give up on after 155 minutes starting as a striker. This is Tony's fault for playing him out of position. You don't buy a turkey at Christmas and moan that it doesn't taste like salmon!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

He started 2 games up front last season. Bolton and Sheffield United.

Once fit he needs to be given a run in the team playing as a centre forward.

Give him 6 games and assess him then. 7 million is just too much to give up on after 155 minutes starting as a striker. This is Tony's fault for playing him out of position. You don't buy a turkey at Christmas and moan that it doesn't taste like salmon!!!

The plates containing the roasts and veg etc in the Mowbray household Sunday lunch will be laid out different every week you can bet on that if big T is the chef.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He may argue that he hasnt played enough minutes down the middle but to be fair he never has looked like a competent footballer full stop. All looks very unnatural to him. The only striker we have who deserves a run of starts is Graham.

He just never looked the part to me. Even in his " highlights " it was more of what can't he do instead of what can he do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Who is this Brereton wonder kid people are talking about ?

He never plays in the first team, is he any good ?

Not sure but there was a lad with the same name who made 53 Championship appearances (inc sub appearances)  for Notts Forest between late Jan 2017 and April 2018, He was a striker though and was played as a striker (radical!), obviously not the same one we have who is not experienced enough or doesn't have the upper body strength for the riggers of Championship football.

• Like 1