BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

Imagine scouting players with particular strengths and weaknesses and then trying to convert them into something less.

Mowbray seems to demand a high work rate above all else. It’s about time they ditched those GPS bras.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

Imagine scouting players with particular strengths and weaknesses and then trying to convert them into something less.

Mowbray seems to demand a high work rate above all else. It’s about time they ditched those GPS bras.

We don't get a high work-rate though. Compare this team with any prepared by Hughes for example. We were in their face from kick-off and never let up.

He's been injured so after a season 'bedding' him in with 10 min cameos out of position do we really expect the next 6/7 months to be any different to that ?

No.

There is a monumental amount of arse covering going on with this one imo.

• Like 2

Just now, arbitro said:

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2019/november/preview-manchester-city-u23s-h/

No mention in this article of Brereton playing for the under 23's tonight whilst Chapman, Davenport and Samuel get name checks.

I wonder if he'll be on the bench tomorrow?

Probably a 10 minute cameo as a wide forward is my guess.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/was-poor-much-bristol-city-3644454.amp

I didn't see the game, but the Bristol paper's rating of Kalas says he was 'bullied by Brereton' in the first half at times. Not a description of BB I ever expected to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/was-poor-much-bristol-city-3644454.amp

I didn't see the game, but the Bristol paper's rating of Kalas says he was 'bullied by Brereton' in the first half at times. Not a description of BB I ever expected to see.

I was there. He wasn't 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I was there. He wasn't 

Haha fair enough. I do wonder how much of that is down to preconceptions though. I don't rate Brereton, but I have to say I do see some of our fans being overly critical and refusing to give him credit for things he does, on the infrequent occasions he does them. Maybe an observer from elsewhere is better placed to say how he did in a single game, without preconceptions.

Or maybe the journo really doesn't like Kalas and is doing the same thing.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Haha fair enough. I do wonder how much of that is down to preconceptions though. I don't rate Brereton, but I have to say I do see some of our fans being overly critical and refusing to give him credit for things he does, on the infrequent occasions he does them. Maybe an observer from elsewhere is better placed to say how he did in a single game, without preconceptions.

Or maybe the journo really doesn't like Kalas and is doing the same thing.

He did show a good bit of skill on the wing. He managed to knock down a couple of long balls. But generally with the ball at his feet he looks so clumsy. And off the ball he doesn't have a football brain. He didn't know when to press when to sit. Gallagher on the other hand led the line and was constantly yelling at brereton, directing him where he needed to be.

• Like 1

he can`t be without ability surely,you don`t make it to this level without having something about you though he`s never showed us anything to suggest he`s even a footballer ,he does`nt even look like he belongs on the pitch,you could take on of us from the crowd and you won`t notice the difference,at the moment im`e struggling to understand why he`s so lacking in every dept,if it`s a confidence issue he needs shipping of to a lower league for 3 months to recover it

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Perhaps 'accidentally standing on his toes a lot' counts as bullying? ?

• Like 3

I thought he was totally decent. Too many people have their minds made up about him and it would take a run of 20 incredible performances to change that.

I thought it was a good return from injury and, hopefully, he can keep improving. Not sure why so many want to see him fail.

Will be end up justifying the fee? Don't know. Could we have done something better with the money? Probably. But does he look like he could be a useful player to have a round? Quite possibly. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I thought he was totally decent. Too many people have their minds made up about him and it would take a run of 20 incredible performances to change that.

I thought it was a good return from injury and, hopefully, he can keep improving. Not sure why so many want to see him fail.

Will be end up justifying the fee? Don't know. Could we have done something better with the money? Probably. But does he look like he could be a useful player to have a round? Quite possibly. 

I have to totally disagree Eddie:

First off, I'm certain nobody wants him to fail. You only had to be at Ewood to see the ecstasy when he did actually score (against Bolton I think).

He's been here for 18 months and has never demonstrated anything to warrant signing him at all, never mind the multi million pound fee. I once described him as a modern day Myles Anderson in terms of a signing and I've seen absolutely nothing to alter that opinion.

I'm not normally a knocker of players but there are better centre forwards up at Blacksnape on Sunday Mornings IMO.

• Like 3

Just now, darrenrover said:

I have to totally disagree Eddie:

First off, I'm certain nobody wants him to fail. You only had to be at Ewood to see the ecstasy when he did actually score (against Bolton I think).

He's been here for 18 months and has never demonstrated anything to warrant signing him at all, never mind the multi million pound fee. I once described him as a modern day Myles Anderson in terms of a signing and I've seen absolutely nothing to alter that opinion.

I'm not normally a knocker of players but there are better centre forwards up at Blacksnape on Sunday Mornings IMO.

That's a ludicrous comparison to be fair 

17 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he can`t be without ability surely,you don`t make it to this level without having something about you though he`s never showed us anything to suggest he`s even a footballer ,he does`nt even look like he belongs on the pitch,you could take on of us from the crowd and you won`t notice the difference,at the moment im`e struggling to understand why he`s so lacking in every dept,if it`s a confidence issue he needs shipping of to a lower league for 3 months to recover it

Thing is I think a lot of players do, and always have. They come up through the ranks, make a few promising cameos but really, just aren't good enough. We had a lad in the promotion season under Souness (called Thomas I think) who played a couple of games, wasn't really up to it, moved elsewhere then I think sunk down through the leagues. And am sure there are a ton more examples (Marlon Brooms spring, s to mind.)

The issue is that in most of these cases they don't take an entire transfer budget and cost £7 million. As you say he looks totally lacking in every way, and its baffling how someone can look so out of their depth and be brought, much less how they command such a big fee.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Just one goal would be a start....

If you didn't have a pre-formed opinion, then you would have bemoaned three instances of awful first touches but otherwise a pretty decent performance.

The entire Bristol City team were bullied by the entire Rovers team, including Ben.

As I wrote at the time, I was amazed to see it but I saw the start of a £12m strike partnership. It might become good enough to be a menace in the Championship but no way would it thrive in the Premier League.

6 hours ago, philipl said:

If you didn't have a pre-formed opinion, then you would have bemoaned three instances of awful first touches but otherwise a pretty decent performance.

The entire Bristol City team were bullied by the entire Rovers team, including Ben.

As I wrote at the time, I was amazed to see it but I saw the start of a £12m strike partnership. It might become good enough to be a menace in the Championship but no way would it thrive in the Premier League.

I thought he was absolute rubbish. Every time tried to run with the ball his legs got tangled up! Off the ball, he seemed always on the fringe of the action, looking on and wondering what to do. The way he moves is so ungainly, like a colt learning to run. There's a story here but I doubt we'll ever know.

Sure he did a couple of good things in the game (who wouldn't?) but he was ineffective for the most part. We've signed some bad ones in the past, but this one, especially at £7M will take some beating.

In terms of the fee paid, easily the worst signing we have ever made. Worse than Grabbi, worse than Davies, I'll stop there.

And no-one WANTS to see him fail Eddie. Shameful of you.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1