BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, starscascade said:

Don’t usually ever get involved in this sort of thing but..

a) did anyone actually see him reduced to tears? Where is the incident online?

b) who else was there in the stands to report the said abusing? If it’s some isolated bloke sat behind you, well I hear that all the time and think ‘idiot’ you won’t get away from it! Perhaps that’s all it was and it’s blown up in a tweet! I’d have turned round to them and said shut up and watch the game rather than putting it online. I remember a bloke giving Kenna abuse years ago on my first ever trip to Ewood, and I wanted to turn round and lamp him but thought he’s just an idiot and I don’t wanna rise. Instead I just though ‘this is football’ people go for a drink pre-match and get so irate when a ball gets misplaced. 

c) I don’t like how it’s been sensationalised in dramatic tweets, and then makes our fans look crap! 

d) just for fun... everyone was laughing when TM said F off to Williams just a few months And that WAS on TV in broad daylight, we have proof of it. If my boss said that to me I’d be upset. I hear he’s put Gally and Breo under the bus. I’m just saying, if there’s any meanness going on. Look closer to home not us fans.

Exactly, the manager himself has planted the seed that he's not trying enough in the minds of fans with his comments in the press.  Done so maybe to get a reaction but also to aid the process of absolving himself.

Now add in a 100 mile journey, a lot of beer, the cost at this time of year and another poor effort it's no wonder one or two voiced their opinions. The man in the dugout should be taking the bullets for this one from the stands, amongst other things.

No doubt there'll be a full on back track in the press this week once his PR people - who've already started on here FFP FFP FFP - get to work.  Just remember not long ago good ole Tone was stealthily shifting the blame to fans but you really have to ask yourselves why HIS signings aren't doing it for him. Brereton, Johnson, Chapman all had the finger pointed at them in recent weeks for lack off graft or attitude.

Why have they turned into lazy plonkers under his watch ?  Or more why sign them in the first place ?

My word this sudden protective bubble that players suddenly seem to get  and then all blame  put on the manager is ridiculous. A player has a bad game he ll get slated by fans end of. It goes with the territory. 

Keith Andrews got panned for three seasons by fans and still does ! ..but I never remember anyone defending him by blaming Paul Ince for signing him  or Big Sam for keep playing him. 

• Like 1

Have a listen to this (those who haven't) ..Craig Bellamy talking about his career with Jaime Carragher. Excellent listen. Bellamys views on young players and how he thought as a youngster are fascinating and highlights those that do and those that don't make it as footballers. Its just as much about mental than physical ability.

Also his views on Rovers too ..how he was adamant he was not going to Rovers but did to use us to put himself in the window  for a bigger better club ...money talks ? For those that don't have Spotify I think the podcast is available on other platforms ..its called The Greatest Game With Jaime Carragher  episode 7

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4nuwrR6jCAiReFsyXfdDev?si=Nw94h1fsSRKdjrpXLZb6Jw

Edited by HowieFive0

I cannot believe what I’m reading regarding comments on a young man’s mental health, so I won’t even get into that apart from to say some people need a reality check as to how fragile mental health can be and I hope for their own sake it doesn’t come from personal experience.

On the footballing aspect of things, I had no idea why we were buying him or why we were paying what was touted, however to me it seemed as though there must have been good reason. That’s clearly gone to shit.

The blame for me sits entirely with Mowbray. He picks (or doesn’t) him to play & where to play. Playing him out of position in a style of play that clearly doesn’t suit him (or 80% of our squad) has battered his confidence - that much is visible. There’s still been the odd spurt of potential even in these festive games where BB (and again, the 80%) has been frankly shite, so I don’t think he’s fully destroyed yet, however I don’t think he will want to stay any longer, which I don’t blame him for.

Best bet (Imo) is a loan elsewhere with the possibility of a sale, but the option for us to veto that if he does get his confidence back (or we get a manager who won’t mismanage everyone).

• Like 3

I haven't checked any of his stats, but having read through the last couple of pages, I couldn't help but think about Rudy Gestede. Before he joined Rovers, I assume his goal scoring record was poor, hence the fee we paid for Cardiff. He did the business for Rovers and we sell him to Villa for a much higher amount than we paid for him. He is then under the pressure at Villa, due to the fee they paid and suddenly he looks useless and his goal scoring record becomes poor again.

Maybe Brereton just doesn't have what it takes to perform under the expectation the fee has thrust upon him. Someone has taken a chance on him and it just hasn't worked out.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

The thing is, Breretons goals record (obviously at a very young age) was very infrequent at Forest. A video can make anyone look good, albeit I do appreciate that some attributes seem to be on show that have been nowhere to be seen here. I lose a lot of sympathy with Brereton because I am unconvinced that he is busting a gut to succeed, he often appears half arsed like he is going through the motions. Gallagher is really poor too but he does try his best. To be honest, I would take any sort of fee for either of them, a loan to come back a different player still seems a bit unlikely to me, I would be prepared to take my losses on either player as I dont see potential in either.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lraC said:

I haven't checked any of his stats, but having read through the last couple of pages, I couldn't help but think about Rudy Gestede. Before he joined Rovers, I assume his goal scoring record was poor, hence the fee we paid for Cardiff. He did the business for Rovers and we sell him to Villa for a much higher amount than we paid for him. He is then under the pressure at Villa, due to the fee they paid and suddenly he looks useless and his goal scoring record becomes poor again.

Maybe Brereton just doesn't have what it takes to perform under the expectation the fee has thrust upon him. Someone has taken a chance on him and it just hasn't worked out.

They pulled a masterstroke bringing in Conway with Rudy though.

One made the other and vice versa in their early Rovers career. Could anyone honestly see anything like that now ? 

Maybe Chapman in league 1 was as close as it's got. The Dack / Graham axis just clicked by pure fortune imo. 

There's been naff all else in terms of creating service for various strikers on the books.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HowieFive0 said:

Have a listen to this (those who haven't) ..Craig Bellamy talking about his career with Jaime Carragher. Excellent listen. Bellamys views on young players and how he thought as a youngster are fascinating and highlights those that do and those that don't make it as footballers. Its just as much about mental than physical ability.

Also his views on Rovers too ..how he was adamant he was not going to Rovers but did to use us to put himself in the window  for a bigger better club ...money talks ? For those that don't have Spotify I think the podcast is available on other platforms ..its called The Greatest Game With Jaime Carragher  episode 7

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4nuwrR6jCAiReFsyXfdDev?si=Nw94h1fsSRKdjrpXLZb6Jw

Didn’t Bellamy get the boot from Cardiff for bullying youth team players?

3 hours ago, CheshireRover said:

I cannot believe what I’m reading regarding comments on a young man’s mental health, so I won’t even get into that apart from to say some people need a reality check as to how fragile mental health can be and I hope for their own sake it doesn’t come from personal experience.

On the footballing aspect of things, I had no idea why we were buying him or why we were paying what was touted, however to me it seemed as though there must have been good reason. That’s clearly gone to shit.

The blame for me sits entirely with Mowbray. He picks (or doesn’t) him to play & where to play. Playing him out of position in a style of play that clearly doesn’t suit him (or 80% of our squad) has battered his confidence - that much is visible. There’s still been the odd spurt of potential even in these festive games where BB (and again, the 80%) has been frankly shite, so I don’t think he’s fully destroyed yet, however I don’t think he will want to stay any longer, which I don’t blame him for.

Best bet (Imo) is a loan elsewhere with the possibility of a sale, but the option for us to veto that if he does get his confidence back (or we get a manager who won’t mismanage everyone).

Spot on. For me Mowbray's handling of him has been an absolute disgrace. 

OK maybe we overpaid for him and maybe he isn't the next Alan Shearer, but when Mowbray indulged in another arse covering exercise in that article in the LT the other day putting Brereton's lack of impact down to lack of desire on the player's part, I think it was mentioned he'd only had 8 starts during his time  (sixteen months) here. Of those 8 starts I'd be surprised if more than 2 or 3 of them were from his natural position up front.

How is anyone meant to thrive in those circumstances.? I was quite heartened to read that Mowbray mentioned In the article that BB had been in his office complaining about lack of game time as it shows he's not just happy to sit there and collect his wage.

When the uncorroborated rumour about him crying emerged on Twitter yesterday, my first thought was that I would need a bit more proof than that before I believed it but even if it did happen it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that he was upset things weren't working out for him, particularly after (rightly or wrongly) being dug out in the Press by his manager for lack of hunger. 

in many ways I'd be a lot more worried if BB seemed completely unconcerned by his plight and how things have gone. No harm in him being devastated by how he's been treated this far but although another manager might put an arm round his shoulder, attempt to build his confidence up and  actually give him a proper chance instead of just telling him he needs to bulk up and/or await his chance and/or show more hunger, at the end of the day he'll have to bounce back and produce himself.

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on. For me Mowbray's handling of him has been an absolute disgrace. 

OK maybe we overpaid for him and maybe he isn't the next Alan Shearer, but when Mowbray indulged in another arse covering exercise in that article in the LT the other day putting Brereton's lack of impact down to lack of desire on the player's part, I think it was mentioned he'd only had 8 starts during his time  (sixteen months) here. Of those 8 starts I'd be surprised if more than 2 or 3 of them were from his natural position up front.

How is anyone meant to thrive in those circumstances.? I was quite heartened to read that Mowbray mentioned In the article that BB had been in his office complaining about lack of game time as it shows he's not just happy to sit there and collect his wage.

When the uncorroborated rumour about him crying emerged on Twitter yesterday, my first thought was that I would need a bit more proof than that before I believed it but even if it did happen it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that he was upset things weren't working out for him, particularly after (rightly or wrongly) being dug out in the Press by his manager for lack of hunger. 

in many ways I'd be a lot more worried if BB seemed completely unconcerned by his plight and how things have gone. No harm in him being devastated by how he's been treated this far but although another manager might put an arm round his shoulder, attempt to build his confidence up and  actually give him a proper chance instead of just telling him he needs to bulk up and/or await his chance and/or show more hunger, at the end of the day he'll have to bounce back and produce himself.

I think you hit the nub of the issue, why did Mowbray sign him if he wasnt going to play him upfront, in his position for over 16 months? I mean he hasn't played back to back games upfront has he? I mean that is scandalous. 

If it's down to his lack of application at training,Mowbray needs to sort that. If its lack of ability, which it appears to me to be, them it's on the one who signed him! 

I gave Brereton more time than many on here and I really wanted him to succeed, but it's a disaster really and I dont see him turning into a player of any note. 

I just have a feeling he was signed on very little first hand research, if any. Bizarre signing. At least Gallagher scored a few last time he was here. Brereton ain't scoring 12 in a season here, in fact he wont score 12 full stop. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just have a feeling he was signed on very little first hand research, if any. Bizarre signing. 

I suspect that's right, the way that transfer window panned out it seemed as though we went back to the owners for more money then panicked on the last couple of days of the window having drawn a blank with all our other targets that summer. There was also the reported £4m bid for Freeman from QPR.

That said we signed the likes of Gallagher, DJ Campbell and Luke Varney permanently after they'd been imo average, poor and garbage respectively on loan so we cant seem to get it right even when we've seen plenty of the player!

17 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I just have a feeling he was signed on very little first hand research

Brereton wasn't Mowbray 1st choice target. Gallagher was. we tried for him but Southampton wouldn't sell and Hughes said he would keep him and use him which never happened, 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Brereton wasn't Mowbray 1st choice target. Gallagher was. we tried for him but Southampton wouldn't sell and Hughes said he would keep him and use him which never happened, 

Them 2 being our first 2 choices is like being presented with which bollock youd like to be kicked in!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Given that we ended up with Gallagher as well and (whilst I might be in a minority) he imo has even less potential than Brereton I'm not sure how that excuses Mowbray.

25 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I suspect that's right, the way that transfer window panned out it seemed as though we went back to the owners for more money then panicked on the last couple of days of the window having drawn a blank with all our other targets that summer. There was also the reported £4m bid for Freeman from QPR.

That said we signed the likes of Gallagher, DJ Campbell and Luke Varney permanently after they'd been imo average, poor and garbage respectively on loan so we cant seem to get it right even when we've seen plenty of the player!

Ah harsh on Gallagher, at the end of the day if he scored 12 this season in the same amount of games as last time around he would be classed as having done pretty well. 

Campbell and Varney,wow ya, dark days they were. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What does that have to do with the lack of research put into the Brereton signing? I would hope with 6 million involved we researched more than 1 or 2 players and would actually know what we were getting. Really stupid signing for a club in our position. 

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

What does that have to do with the lack of research put into the Brereton signing? I would hope with 6 million involved we researched more than 1 or 2 players and would actually know what we were getting. Really stupid signing for a club in our position. 

I know we scouted Che Adams during last season. I don't know who else we look.