BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know when we scouted him during last season so I couldn't comment. Just a name I was given during last season by a friend with a good source at the club. I have no reason to doubt his info as I trust this friend

He would be a target man striker similar to Graham and would have thrive on our crosses into the box we do. Give us time to look for a striker who will lead our line for few years. Players like Austin, Grabban, were never coming here due to wages they are on. 

I thought we was supposed to be playing passing football, and trying to control games? Im as confused as I was yesterday when Mowbray said we had too much possession and it made us relax! 

(Im not saying we should play passing football or not, my main issue with Smith is that he is not particularly good. Hes just a lump really)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

Didn’t Bellamy get the boot from Cardiff for bullying youth team players?

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

Didn’t Bellamy get the boot from Cardiff for bullying youth team players?

As I said his thoughts as a youngster trying to make a go of it are quite fascinating .. maybe they don't sit too well in this "Comfortable World " that's being created at the moment. 

Im sure the so called bullying tactics Bellamy is allegedly supposed to have used would not be uncommon at most most clubs but hey different world now...

Didn't stop Vincent Kompany offering him a coaching job at Anderlecht ..and I think most will agree Kompany would be a good judge of character and how he wants  his coach to act ..coach etc ..and wouldn't touch Bellamy with a barge pole if his way of working was absolutely wayward. And no way Anderlecht would even offer a contract to someone who has crossed a line in coaching.

In this day and age you cant raise your voice at a youngster without the possibility of parents getting involved ..and this comes from someone whos brother is a Head Coach at a top swimming club.

There are lines that should not be crossed ..ever ..but those lines are increasingly being shortened and yet parents .. clubs whatever ..want top mentality hardened physically top drawer coaching without kids being called to task or criticised.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think Brereton's name will have been put to him after the owners and their representatives came up with the idea and asked him for his opinion. I agree he probably then did something along the lines of what you say and ok'd it having been told there was no alternative signing lined up.

The day you let idiots like the Chicken Chokers decide who to sign is the day you clear your desk and say your goodbyes. Some good advice I was given as a young man - " Never, ever,  accept a situation where you have responsibility without power ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Silas said:

That's the second time in 24hrs you have associated a man crying with both mental health and suicide. 

You appear to believe your views are progressive and modern, but I would suggest they are archaic and dated.

If a man cries, it shouldn't mean there's something "wrong" with him. If a woman cries does that mean there's something wrong with her? Are we still living in the 1950's?

Whilst you're lecturing everyone else on what's appropriate or not, might I suggest you maybe examine your own viewpoints when measured up against modern standards.

In fact, mental health charity Mind did a whole campaign on this back in 2015:

https://www.mind.org.uk/news-campaigns/news/mind-says-it-s-ok-to-cry/

Trying to eradicate the stigma of adults crying, as it is seen as a good release for anxiety issues.

Someone like yourself jumping from tears to suicide in a heartbeat is probably the exact issue they were trying to overcome. Particularly among the Male population.

So to Big Ben I say -  let the tears flow bro, dust off, pick yourself up, and come back fighting harder than ever. That's all any of us can do. 

I think you have misread what I said. I have not for one second suggested that there is something wrong with a man crying. What I would say is that we sympathise - whilst not all men who cry will commit suicide but I would surmise that most men who commit suicide will have been crying.

I don't want to take this on any further because myself and the poster with whom I initially disagreed have agreed that this is now closed.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I thought we was supposed to be playing passing football, and trying to control games? 

(Im not saying we should play passing football or not, my main issue with Smith is that he is not particularly good. Hes just a lump really)

I said we would have sign Smith when we promoted instead of signing Brereton has I said yourself at the time. Scored 11 goals for QPR the season we got promoted in. Plus this season 5 goals in 16 goals. 

Plus he would enjoy the crosses we put into the box. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The day you let idiots like the Chicken Chokers decide who to sign is the day you clear your desk and say your goodbyes. Some good advice I was given as a young man - " Never, ever accept a situation where you have responsibility without power ".

The managers like Paul Lambert who can expect to get another decent job will do as you suggest - the problem is that we are left not being able to get anyone who is not so well enough regarded in the game.

31 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think Brereton's name will have been put to him after the owners and their representatives came up with the idea and asked him for his opinion. I agree he probably then did something along the lines of what you say and ok'd it having been told there was no alternative signing lined up.

I dont think Venkys are scouting players though. Plus if that was true then wouldn't Mowbray surely have had to play him? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Is there any truth in Brereton and Mowbray having the same agent?

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I said we would have sign Smith when we promoted instead of signing Brereton has I said yourself at the time. Scored 11 goals for QPR the season we got promoted in. Plus this season 5 goals in 16 goals. 

Plus he would enjoy the crosses we put into the box. 

According to whoscored, we put in the 23rd highest number of crosses per game in the League, and the 12th this season. Hardly remarkable. Unsure if thats successful crosses or just crosses in general. Downing is our best crosser undoubtedly, but sometimes plays central. Bennett, Nyambe, Armstrong, Rothwell and (although he did put one good one in yesterday) Bell couldnt cross if their lives depended on it! 

Smith would have been better than Brereton (as would you or I) but so would most. Surely we can do better than either them 2 or Gallagher with 12m!

Interesting to see that behind Preston we have the 2nd highest number of long balls per game this season. Hardly a passing masterclass!

• Like 1

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Interesting to see that behind Preston we have the 2nd highest number of long balls per game this season. Hardly a passing masterclass!

It was similar last season wasn't it? Am sure we were something like joint top with Ipswich. 

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

It was similar last season wasn't it? Am sure we were something like joint top with Ipswich. 

Yeah it was, I am a bit surprised considering in particular the influence of Adarabioyo but it does show that perhaps old habits die hard and a move to a more possession based approach has not been a smooth one!

Plus he would enjoy the crosses we put into the box

Crosses?

We put a few in yesterday but most games we now  try and walk it into the box and create goals that way. It's our new 'style.of play'.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DE. said:

All Lenihan does is smash it long. Usually aimlessly too...with the exception of that cultured cross-field punt he does - which sales six yards above the winger and into the Riverside.

• Like 3

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, Pedro said:

All Lenihan does is smash it long. Usually aimlessly too...with the exception of that cultured cross-field punt he does - which sales six yards above the winger and into the Riverside.

Honestly based on recent matches probably better he does that then tries to pass it out from the back. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

According to whoscored, we put in the 23rd highest number of crosses per game in the League, and the 12th this season. Hardly remarkable. Unsure if thats successful crosses or just crosses in general. Downing is our best crosser undoubtedly, but sometimes plays central. Bennett, Nyambe, Armstrong, Rothwell and (although he did put one good one in yesterday) Bell couldnt cross if their lives depended on it! 

Smith would have been better than Brereton (as would you or I) but so would most. Surely we can do better than either them 2 or Gallagher with 12m!

We are our stats from the last 3 League games which shows how many long passes, total passes and crosses within the game. So compare those stats to last season and you will see a different in an approach  

Screenshot_20200105-195649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-195719_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-195848_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by chaddyrovers

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We are our stats from the last 3 League games which shows how many long passes, total passes and crosses within the game. So compare those stats to last season and you will see a different in an approach  

Screenshot_20200105-195649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-195719_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-195848_Samsung Internet.jpg

In 2 of the 3 games we crossed less than our opponent. As an aside, we got 1 point from these 3 dismal performances!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

In 2 of the 3 games we crossed less than our opponent. As an aside, we got 1 point from these 3 dismal performances!

We are passing the ball to feet more compare to last season and the stats back that up

Here are our stats from our last 3 wins. 

Screenshot_20200105-204236_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-204430_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-204141_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by chaddyrovers

We are passing the ball to feet more compare to last season and the stats back that up

Here are our stats from our last 3 wins. 

Screenshot_20200105-204236_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-204430_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20200105-204141_Samsung Internet.jpg

What does " passing to feet " exactly mean ? Most of the time you need it passed so you can take it your stride. Being passed straight at you means you have to stand still and wait for the ball to arrive. Sometimes you need the ball passed yards in front of you so you can run onto the ball at full sprint. The run the young full back made in the Rochdale game is a classic example. It was passed many yards down the wing in front of him so he could use his pace to the maximum.

From what I've seen at Rovers a lot of the time a player stood still passes to another player stood still who recycles the ball to a third player who's also stood still. That's " passing to feet " but it normally ends with us losing possession.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

Isn't the point really that we had £7M to spend and we couldn't find a better target than Brereton?

Now we have nothing and there are gaps everywhere, striker being one of them!

Sheffield United seem to have managed without spending that much on one player. So did Burnley and they too went up.

What's the key difference between them and us?----the quality of the manager!!

Wilder signed Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick. A whole spine for a similar total fee, all very good players. Our recruitment under Mowbray is night and day!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Wilder signed Egan, Norwood and McGoldrick. A whole spine for a similar total fee, all very good players. Our recruitment under Mowbray is night and day!

Egan and Norwood were top signings. 

Plus we didn't go for John McGinn. What a huge mistake that was

• Like 1