BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's intelligence and then there's football intelligence. I remember watching Wayne Rooney as 17 year old player. He wasn't clever in real terms but even then he knew the score out on the pitch. Football brain wise he had it even at that young age. Same with Gazza, daft lad but what a footballer.

Those 2 came to mind. They had incredible raw talent 

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Classic @chaddyrovers. What would we do without our main man, god love him.

I will hold my hands by saying I have been hugely disappointed by him and by the way Mowbray has played him. He was never his 1st choice IMO and it has show from day 1. 

49 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think most of us admitted we had never heard of Brereton before 4pm that Friday. 

He played for Forest 18 months before we signed him plus part the England under 19's squad aswell 

Yeah most people had definitely heard of him.

From what Mowbray said about him impressing in a game Forest even didnt score in, the signing seems to have been very poorly researched and there is no excuse for that.

For me, especially with FFP and obviously with a finite budget, the signing of him coupled with the Gallagher deal has to result in a P45 for the manager. I dont think he could have purposely spent the money in a worse way.

• Like 6

When outsiders start dictating who signs for the team you are managing it's time to walk away. I think it was Kevin Keegan who told the story that he was approached by a director who wanted him to sign a foreign player as a favour to an agent.  He said " You don't have to play him Kevin, you can just park him in the reserves if you like ".

Keegan walked away.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

From what Mowbray said about him impressing in a game Forest even didnt score in, the signing seems to have been very poorly researched and there is no excuse for that.

For me, especially with FFP and obviously with a finite budget, the signing of him coupled with the Gallagher deal has to result in a P45 for the manager. I dont think he could have purposely spent the money in a worse way.

Any other walk of life you'd be down the road. You wouldn't be signing Gallagher because you would be gone after the Brererton signing.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Had heard of him? Disagree. Go back and read the first few pages of the thread. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know Chaddy,I can use google too. 

Had you heard of him before 4pm that Friday. Be honest. 

Yes. Firstly he played against us before. Plus I watched the Forest Arsenal game when he rip Per Mertesacker apart. Plus highlights and live games Forest were involved in. 

I don't need Google. I watched alot of football 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yes. Firstly he played against us before. Plus I watched the Forest Arsenal game when he rip Per Mertesacker apart. Plus highlights and live games Forest were involved in. 

I don't need Google. I watched alot of football 

I really need proof of him ripping a world cup winning defender apart. I really do. I dont remember him playing against us, he certainly didnt have an amazing game or anything. Even from his highlights,I couldn't identify his strengths. However I always said I would give the benefit of the doubt until I saw him play for us a few times. 

So if you watched so much of him and said he was a steal at £7 million, what would you say are his strengths? 

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really need proof of him ripping a world cup winning defender apart. I really do. I dont remember him playing against us, he certainly didnt have an amazing game or anything. Even from his highlights,I couldn't identify his strengths. However I always said I would give the benefit of the doubt until I saw him play for us a few times. 

So if you watched so much of him and said he was a steal at £7 million, what would you say are his strengths? 

Here is the highlights of that Forest vs Arsenal game

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nottingham+forest+vs+arsenal&ru=%2fvideos%2fsearch%3fq%3dnottingham%2bforest%2bvs%2barsenal%26FORM%3dHDRSC3&view=detail&mid=7132C1331F69E4898F937132C1331F69E4898F93&rvsmid=99C71F34282A272338EA99C71F34282A272338EA&FORM=VDQVAP

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/rampaging-ben-brereton-effectively-retired-1026400

Edited by chaddyrovers

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks. edit-actually that's highlights of Forest V Birmingham. 

Anyway, my other question- So if you watched so much of him and said he was a steal at £7 million, what would you say are his strengths? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I will hold my hands by saying I have been hugely disappointed by him and by the way Mowbray has played him. He was never his 1st choice IMO and it has show from day 1. 

He played for Forest 18 months before we signed him plus part the England under 19's squad aswell 

Even more damning is that we now DO have his 1st choice as well - and he has not shown to be worth the money either as of yet. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thanks

Well look at the footage of him around and make your own assessment pal. 

We all have different opinion. I would say his running at defence, some pace and decent finisher during his Forest days. He isn't a target man type of striker so very unsure why Mowbray signed him at that time. He should have look at someone like Matt Smith who is more of target man type. So I do wonder why Mowbray look to sign him cos so far during his career at Rovers he has lack so much confidence when playing, he looks lost on the pitch and nothing like the player at Forest. 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well look at the footage of him around and make your own assessment pal. 

We all have different opinion. I would say his running at defence, some pace and decent finisher during his Forest days. He isn't a target man type of striker so very unsure why Mowbray signed him at that time. He should have look at someone like Matt Smith who is more of target man type. So I do wonder why Mowbray look to sign him cos so far during his career at Rovers he has lack so much confidence when playing, he looks lost on the pitch and nothing like the player at Forest. 

I have told you 2 posts ago, I have looked at footage of him and I can't see anything. Some ok finishes, but he doesn't look quick or powerful. Outpacing Mertesacker doesn't prove you are Usan Bolt. He was in a bad decline near the end at Arsenal. He certainly hasn't done much effective running at defences here. 

I wonder why Mowbray signed him too. We wanted Freeman and end up with Brereton for more money. 2 completely different players who play in different positions. 

Ya Smith could work with Dack or as a 2 with Armstrong. If we ever actually played that formation. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder why Mowbray signed him too. We wanted Freeman and end up with Brereton for more money. 2 completely different players who play in different positions. 

Ya Smith could work with Dack or as a 2 with Armstrong. If we ever actually played that formation. 

Yes it does make me wonder why we signed him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Had heard of him? Disagree. Go back and read the first few pages of the thread. 

He burst onto the scene in that Arsenal game, I had personally heard of him as I am sure had anyone with a decent grasp and knowledge of Championship football.

That being said, I think anyone with an ounce of scepticism would realise that any player can have one good game and make a name for himself. It was his "Emerton v Wolves" moment.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

He burst onto the scene in that Arsenal game, I had personally heard of him as I am sure had anyone with a decent grasp and knowledge of Championship football.

That being said, I think anyone with an ounce of scepticism would realise that any player can have one good game and make a name for himself. It was his "Emerton v Wolves" moment.

I've seen plenty of " one hit wonders " in football, especially when they are young players. Danny Cadamartiri anybody ? As for giving Mertsacker the run around ? Did somebody take his Zimmer frame off him ?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Haha. I'd almost forgotten about that.

How would Rovers cope after selling one of their best forward players? Then came the answer.... For 1 game.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

God,you really do come across as an arrogant ass at times. Not sure if you mean it,but going off that last line I suggest you know well. 

Reading back on the first few pages here ,it seemed most didn't know hi.,but of course we wouldn't be as knowledgable as your good self.  

The only time I’d seen or heard about him was when I watched the arsenal game and he played very well and stood out. I never heard or saw him before or after that  until he rocked up here. That arsenal side (from what I can remember) was quite a weakened side and the majority of his highlights on YouTube etc seem to be playing u23s football. 

He was brilliant that game but like Tyrone says I remember Danny Cadamartri and many others that have had impressive games to fade to obscurity and whilst I agree he hasn’t been played to his strengths or had a decent run of games he also hasn’t shown anything to warrant an extended run in the side either. He struggles with the basic fundamentals of the game Imo. His first touch is appalling for a start and his body language doesn’t scream of someone trying to prove a point. I seriously think this lads a dud and we arnt going to get anything like the performance he put in against arsenal which will one day be known as his five minutes of fame

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 3

I'll be honest I hadn't really heard of him. I do remember someone who played well against Arsenal and thought at the time he looked good, but by the time he rocked up here I had completely forgotten about him, then reading about him jogged my memory so I was somewhat hopeful.

Whilst he hasn't really shown anything in his cameos to suggest there is a player there, the finger has to be pointed at Mowbray as well as I think he has completely destroyed any confidence the lad had.

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

He looked like a young Harry bloody Kane in that Arsenal game. He was sensational. 

Grabbi impressed on video too! Sufficient that Souness signed him.

What's the chances that an agent showed TM a video of Brereton and that he never saw him play?

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

He looked like a young Harry bloody Kane in that Arsenal game. He was sensational. 

Well he looks like a clueless lazy carthorse now without any redeeming skill or strength feature to his game. 
He is like a statue waits for the ball has zero anticipation, lack of movement, almost like his reading of the game is poor or his brain is too slow. It’s the lack off application and effort what grinds me, his lack of any emotion of passion, I want to see a bit of hunger a bit of anger or a lost cause chased to see that he cares but he offers nothing.

Ive wrote him off, ship him out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'll be honest I hadn't really heard of him. I do remember someone who played well against Arsenal and thought at the time he looked good, but by the time he rocked up here I had completely forgotten about him, then reading about him jogged my memory so I was somewhat hopeful.

Whilst he hasn't really shown anything in his cameos to suggest there is a player there, the finger has to be pointed at Mowbray as well as I think he has completely destroyed any confidence the lad had.

Mowbray watched played against us aswell in 16/17 season when we won 1 nil at the City Ground.