BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Brereton showed his usual lack of control in that incident though. Was a sitter but his first touch was atrocious and the ball bounced away from him.

Absolute stone-wall penalty  I agree. If we'd still been 0-0 then there'd have been a riot (a little one!)

Brereton at last showed something, let's hope its a sign of the future and let's hope he never plays  on the wing again.

After he miss controlled the ball from the goal keeper it took him a while to realise he needed to get involved again and press the keeper. Even then he was pretty half hearted in the challenge. Luckily the keeper sliced it straight back to Samuel. A real penalty box predator would have put that away first time.

Regarding the pen I think the keeper just about got the ball first but anywhere else on the pitch that would probably been a free kick for reckless play.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Ater he miss controlled the ball from the goal keeper it took him a while to realise he needed to get involved again and press the keeper. Even then he was pretty half hearted in the challenge. Luckily the keeper sliced it straight back to Samuel. A real penalty box predator would have put that away first time.

Regarding the pen I think the keeper just about got the ball first but anywhere else on the pitch that would probably been a free kick for reckless play.

I watched the goal again last night. Ya, I wouldn't say he was closing the keeper down enough for my liking now to be fair. Was a lethargic effort I have to say. We got lucky. Samuel took the goal really well though.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pedro said:

I thought he did some good layoffs and movements. He's looked much better the last few times off the bench.  In fairness to him, he IS a young player.

When he ran the ball out though...dopey git.

In fairness I think he was waiting for the player in the middle (I forget who) to spring off his marker into space so he could make the pass. But they just stood in place. He watched for it slightly too long, expecting it any moment, and it went out. He should have been ready to touch the ball in when the run didn't materialise, hopefully that will come with experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

He seems more sprightly lately which is great to see.

I still think this lad will flourish, I know, I know I'm in a minority but I'm rarely wrong when it comes to talent.

He's definitely looked a lot more likely to turn into something the last couple of games.

My worry now is he seems to massively be a confidence player. If he keeps just getting tiny cameos off the bench even if he does well (which we have seen Mowbray be guilty of many a time with other players) that could fade and put us back to square one.

He also seems to have a stamina issue, which tbf may be restricting his starts. The way he was huffing after that excellent run to score for the reserves, and I saw him huffing to a lesser degree yesterday despite coming on late. But at least he's working harder.

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

I still think this lad will flourish, I know, I know I'm in a minority but I'm rarely wrong when it comes to talent.

You said Chris Brown would be the next Shearer.

6 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Did you see his heavy touch on the ball when he got to the bye-line and ran it out of play yesterday?

That wasn't the touch of a £7 a week Sunday player, never mind a £7m footballer

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Did you see his heavy touch on the ball when he got to the bye-line and ran it out of play yesterday?

That wasn't the touch of a £7 a week Sunday player, never mind a £7m footballer

I think it's an indication of how little people have come to expect from our marquee signing that anything other than falling over is considered promising.

As you say, that running the ball out of play was amateurish and the only other things he did were slicing the ball wide and handball controlling it allowing Charlton to get possession of the ball late on. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Husky said:

I think it's an indication of how little people have come to expect from our marquee signing that anything other than falling over is considered promising.

As you say, that running the ball out of play was amateurish and the only other things he did were slicing the ball wide and handball controlling it allowing Charlton to get possession of the ball late on. ?‍♂️

Yep, made space for himself cutting in from the right then sliced the ball horribly when it needed a left-footed curl to get it round the keeper. From the little I've seen of him he favours the right side of attack and likes to run with the ball. He's probably better than Gallagher in that role but he can't play with his back to goal down the middle and I cannot for the life of me see why we paid so much money for him. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely little cameo today from Big Ben. The boy can play!

I think he is at his best centrally with someone next to him. I don't think a wide role or a lone one suits him at present. He narked Swansea for some reason and drew so many fouls. He has tidy feet and some pace. He has always had a kind of swaggering confidence. 

It's just hard at present to fit him in centrally from the off and I hope Mowbray never plays him wide again. As things stand, I would place him ahead of Samuel and Graham but behind Armstrong and Gallagher in the pecking order as striker. A goal would do wonders for him.

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

We may have unearthed a little gem of a player.

Great performance today which could (should) have been polished off with the winning goal

7 million and a squandered season-and-a-half isn't 'unearthing a gem' at this level, even if it works out in the end!

Definitely looking brighter lately. Long may it continue and improve.

• Like 1

He also had the flick on for Gallagher’s missed sitter.

Christ he is fast, he chased down a ball in the corner at one point and easily beat Gallagher in the chase. Like Colt Sheavers said a goal is just what he needs to get going.

Thought he deserved a start after the Brentford game. Play him!

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Colt Seavers said:

Lovely little cameo today from Big Ben. The boy can play!

I think he is at his best centrally with someone next to him. I don't think a wide role or a lone one suits him at present. He narked Swansea for some reason and drew so many fouls. He has tidy feet and some pace. He has always had a kind of swaggering confidence. 

It's just hard at present to fit him in centrally from the off and I hope Mowbray never plays him wide again. As things stand, I would place him ahead of Samuel and Graham but behind Armstrong and Gallagher in the pecking order as striker. A goal would do wonders for him.

Forest fans biggest gripe with Ben was they also pushed him out wide sometimes, it just doesn't work.

I'd stick with him as an impact sub, for now.

• Like 2