BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

7 million and a squandered season-and-a-half isn't 'unearthing a gem' at this level, even if it works out in the end!

Definitely looking brighter lately. Long may it continue and improve.

The one thing the famous video revealed that he could do was he could run with the ball once he'd got turned around and was facing play. Unfortunately there  wasn't a massive amount of end product from these runs. A bit like Rothwell. We used to have a saying about certain players - " He dribbles when he comes to a pair of feet " IE they're a bit head down.

22 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Be interesting to see what happens now. If he starts in the same position v Derby he has another chance to build, if he is back on the bench or even on the wing its a wasted chance.

Totally. If he doesn't start or at least get 30 min against Derby, you would have to criticize the managers line of thought. Although if we won, I would let it slide! 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

He doesn't look a "different animal" to me: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18296019.ben-breretons-time-shine-coming-says-tony-mowbray/

He was downright awful against Derby as he has been for 99.5% of his time at Rovers. I genuinely would try to get what we can for him in the summer - appreciate it will be peanuts - but he is not going to make a decent Championship player in a million years.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He doesn't look a "different animal" to me: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18296019.ben-breretons-time-shine-coming-says-tony-mowbray/

He was downright awful against Derby as he has been for 99.5% of his time at Rovers. I genuinely would try to get what we can for him in the summer - appreciate it will be peanuts - but he is not going to make a decent Championship player in a million years.

I suspect there will be a few more of these type of articles about Brereton and Gallagher before the end of the season. Brereton looked as weak as ever on Sunday and he looked really tired. Maybe the two go together.

26 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I suspect there will be a few more of these type of articles about Brereton and Gallagher before the end of the season. Brereton looked as weak as ever on Sunday and he looked really tired. Maybe the two go together.

Yep. As Matty says, he's constantly covering his arse in the LET saying they'll come good, will be great players for this club for years to come. Rollocks will they. I'm 0/100 convinced about Brereton and about 2/100 about Gallagher. The latter needs a run up front but as I've said before, he doesn't play the role of forward well at all - doesn't know when/where to attack the ball with his feet or head to name just one monumental flaw for a "striker". Mowbray hasn't helped playing him RW for the majority of his time here, mind.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

They’ll be on a charm offensive after that completely harmless article about Gallagher that upset all the soft lads....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

And TM is allegedly a man of integrity. Doesn't strike me as such from this article. 

Am sick of the PR lies spouted by managers: Kean, Bowyer, Coyle and now TM all have done it. Sickening really. 

Edited by Blue blood
  • Like 2

I've said all along honest T is a crafty old sod he knows how to play to his audience although i'm convinced he really believes what he says, in a i'm trying to convince myself kind of way.

No wonder the Vs love him.

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Mr. E said:

So....the only issue with Brereton, according to Mowbray, is that the others above him in the pecking order are so brilliant that his amazing footballing talents havent been allowed to shine yet.

Ok. Please bring back Steve Kean. 

Steady on pal. 

• Like 1

With you there darrener.

It’s been a decade of relentless mediocrity. Yes we were used to a conveyor belt of top class footballers in the 90s and 00s, but it is striking just how few quality players we’ve seen since this lot took on the club, especially when compared to the 80s which was also an era largely spent at this level.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

With you there darrener.

It’s been a decade of relentless mediocrity. Yes we were used to a conveyor belt of top class footballers in the 90s and 00s, but it is striking just how few quality players we’ve seen since this lot took on the club, especially when compared to the 80s which was also an era largely spent at this level.

It'll be more of the same too until we dispense with our current 'advisors'.

I know it's been done to death previously but why spend £12 million on Brereton and Gallagher? Why sign Harry Chapman? There's no way that it was for the good of the club and other factors must have been at play. We've signed plenty of crap for a lot of dosh over 10 years, Why?

• Like 5

P

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

So he’s not been a failure so far it’s just that all our other strikers have been stand out successes!

Sorted 

Indeed. Armstrong's rampant form has been matched by Gally's (4 league goals?) Graham (3?) and Samuel (2?) With stats like that Messi would struggle to get into our team

4 hours ago, Blue blood said:

And TM is allegedly a man of integrity. Doesn't strike me as such from this article. 

Am sick of the PR lies spouted by managers: Kean, Bowyer, Coyle and now TM all have done it. Sickening really. 

Blue blood, I honestly think you should try and detach yourself from the situation a second before saying he's spouting lies. At the end of the day he's only protecting his player. Mowbray gave some stick to players like Nyambe when they first came on the scene and everyone, incl me, said it was wrong for him to do that. He's here now and he's trying to keep the players hopes up by backing him in the public press. Managers from all generations have done exactly the same.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally I'd rather see him backing the lad than sniping him down even if we all know it's probably misjudged faith.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Blue blood, I honestly think you should try and detach yourself from the situation a second before saying he's spouting lies. At the end of the day he's only protecting his player. Mowbray gave some stick to players like Nyambe when they first came on the scene and everyone, incl me, said it was wrong for him to do that. He's here now and he's trying to keep the players hopes up by backing him in the public press. Managers from all generations have done exactly the same.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally I'd rather see him backing the lad than sniping him down even if we all know it's probably misjudged faith.

Mowbray's protecting his judgement in having signed the player for a kings ransom first and foremost. If he was an academy graduate, he'd have been chucked under the bus as others have been.

Blue blood is right to be annoyed.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

10 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Mowbray's protecting his judgement in having signed the player for a kings ransom first and foremost. If he was an academy graduate, he'd have been chucked under the bus as others have been.

Blue blood is right to be annoyed.

Think darrenrover has it right. He's not trying to boost the player but protect his "judgement". 

The reason I say this is because he is blatently spouting lies. As in if he said Ben has the potential to do X it's one thing, or we've not seen the best of him yet, that's fine. But to lie and say he hasn't done as well as he could because the other strikers are doing so well - which demonstrably from statistics and watching matches and highlights isn't true - isn't boosting the player at all. It's a porky, a fib, our strikers bar Armstrong haven't reached double figures combined. Half have played on the wing. It's utter fiction which undermines his and the player's crediblity. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Think darrenrover has it right. He's not trying to boost the player but protect his "judgement". 

The reason I say this is because he is blatently spouting lies. As in if he said Ben has the potential to do X it's one thing, or we've not seen the best of him yet, that's fine. But to lie and say he hasn't done as well as he could because the other strikers are doing so well - which demonstrably from statistics and watching matches and highlights isn't true - isn't boosting the player at all. It's a porky, a fib, our strikers bar Armstrong haven't reached double figures combined. Half have played on the wing. It's utter fiction which undermines his and the player's crediblity. 

Spot on. Similarly, Gallagher was absolutely pants on loan at Birmingham but yet Mowbray thinks he's worth £5 million and will rip up trees for us.

Gallagher's been what most of us thought he would be: shit! what spin's Mowbray going to come out with to big that signing up? Oh, and let's not forget Harry Chapman.... 

• Like 1