BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 minute ago, RoverKyle said:

Thought Ben played reasonably well again today. Much more assured than Gallagher, who is really starting to test my patience. 

Yes, a goal will come and you can’t fault his work rate to try and get it.

He should shave his head and beard, and go grab that goal on Tuesday.

9 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Yes, a goal will come and you can’t fault his work rate to try and get it.

He should shave his head and beard, and go grab that goal on Tuesday.

To score goals he needs to do two things that he's shown no signs of doing so far  -  1) Get in the bloody box ! 2) To quote the great Paul Ince, SHOOT !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Brilliant, that. Understatement is such a tonic- especially when I am raging!

I'm trying my best to stay positive, otherwise I'll spiral for the rest of the weekend. Would love to see Armstrong & Brereton play either side of Graham next game. Just can't see it happening though.

• Like 1

Just now, RoverKyle said:

I'm trying my best to stay positive, otherwise I'll spiral for the rest of the weekend. Would love to see Armstrong & Brereton play either side of Graham next game. Just can't see it happening though.

It wasn't a putdown or anything. I meant it.....starting to test my patience indeed!

I think he is shit...there...said it....

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

It wasn't a putdown or anything. I meant it.....starting to test my patience indeed!

I think he is shit...there...said it....

Haha yeah, I got what you meant. It's a shame but he's really gone backwards since we had him on loan. He's so much better in the air than he was, but he's lost a bit of everything else that made him look like a striker with promise.

7 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Haha yeah, I got what you meant. It's a shame but he's really gone backwards since we had him on loan. He's so much better in the air than he was, but he's lost a bit of everything else that made him look like a striker with promise.

Are we still talking about Sam Gallagher ? The guy who's 6' 5" tall until a cross comes over when he becomes 5' 9"

• Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

He seems so hesitant to shoot. Either that or the ball eventually gets stuck underneath him. 

I said about Gallagher earlier in the season when people said that the supply wasnt good enough that good strikers find chances as much as the othet way round.

Its not even just to shoot, just to go forward in general. He did some great control on the left just inside the box in the second half. He then hesistated and pass the ball back. In the first half he got the ball to run one on one but his touch was too heavy and no chance arose.

Rarely will a chance present itself like last week and although he was unlucky to slip his own touch put the ball behind him which caused it. 2 years, 7m, 1 goal, we shouldnt be excited by such minor flickers.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

1) Get in the bloody box

Ben's not in control of that though, that's a tactical thing. He's being played on the wing for the most part and that's not something he as an individual can change or improve.

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Ben's not in control of that though, that's a tactical thing. He's being played on the wing for the most part and that's not something he as an individual can change or improve.

He still needs to be getting in the box if he's going to be scoring goals. That's what MGP did when he was scoring goals. As time went by he stopped getting in there and the goals dried up. You don't get many 25 yard shots into the top corner in a season. If you're on the left wing and the ball is out on the right hand side - get in the bloody box !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

When he has played up front he often seemed very reluctant to get into the box, I dont think he has that strikers instinct at all.

I agree, he shows no inclination to get in where the boots are flying about. That was the first thing I noticed when somebody put up the " highlights reel " from his Forest days. If you don't do that you won't score many. Dack, for all his ball skills, gets plenty of his goals by getting up close and personal with the 6 yard box.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree, he shows no inclination to get in where the boots are flying about. That was the first thing I noticed when somebody put up the " highlights reel " from his Forest days. If you don't do that you won't score many. Dack, for all his ball skills, gets plenty of his goals by getting close and up personal with the 6 yard box.

Thats what sets Dack apart and makes him our best player. For all of his skills and entertainment, he scores regularly because he knows where the ball will drop, so many scruffy goals.

Even Armstrong I dont think is the best at anticipating chances. Rhodes was the master at it and Dack is not so far off. Armstrong has scored quite a few goals in recent months (well apart from in the break!) but long term the 25 yard screamers which he has 4 or 5 of arent a regular type of goals and he needs to be getting more scruffy goals. Even one on one when Armstrong goes through, he probably misses more than he scores.

• Like 5

It's knowing the areas the ball is likely to drop into in any given circumstance. It's anticipating mistakes by defenders, simple things like miss trapping a simple pass,, It's following up simple shots at the keeper when 99 times out of a 100 you know he'll swallow the ball. You are counting on it being the one time he drops the ball at your feet. Look where the majority of goals are scored from. It's that area between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot - get yourself in there.

I was listening to that centre forward who played for the England women's team in the last World Cup. The one who ended up scoring all the goals. Previously she'd been chasing from wing to wing, working hard,  but either not getting the chances or lacking the necessary sharpness to put them away. Phil Neville told her " Stop running around, there are two imaginary lines running up the sides of the six yard box to the front edge of the penalty area. Fix the shape of that box in your head. When we're attacking in the last third I don't want to see you anywhere else but in that box ". Once she did that the goals started coming.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's knowing the areas the ball is likely to drop into in any given circumstance. It's anticipating mistakes by defenders, simple things like miss trapping a simple pass,, It's following up simple shots at the keeper when 99 times out of a 100 you know he'll swallow the ball. You are counting on it being the one time he drops the ball at your feet. Look where the majority of goals are scored from. It's that area between the 6 yard box and the penalty spot - get yourself in there.

I was listening to that centre forward who played for the England women's team in the last World Cup. The one who ended up scoring all the goals. Previously she'd been chasing from wing to wing, working hard,  but either not getting the chances or lacking the necessary sharpness to put them away. Phil Neville told her " Stop running around, there are two imaginary lines running up the sides of the six yard box to the front edge of the penalty area. Fix the shape of that box in your head. When we're attacking in the last third I don't want to see you anywhere else but in that box ". Once she did that the goals started coming.

I was thinking similar watching Garner score at the death in the home leg against Palace in the nostalgia thread: he was on the edge of the area and started his run toward goal before the cross even reached whoever was beyond the back stick, and ended up with a tap in all on his own from a yard out.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

i can pretty much guarantee that is`nt in mowbrays mantra,it should be because thats what strikers are paid to do,i could`nt care less if ben or gallagher can`t tackle or pass to save their lives,it`s not their job,their job is to get in the box,pester defenders,stretch defenders and score goals,let others do the dirty work,to have them mincing about out wide is bloody pointless,if a striker can`t do what he`s supposed to do then get shut,in the words of the great bob paisley,if you`re not doing in on the pitch then you`re not playing,i feel like driving to brockhall and painting,"it`s a simple game tony,play them in their position and stop complicating it" over the entrance

• Like 1