BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I was one who championed Gallaghers return ??

I was ok with it at the time but it's a 2 way street with him imo. He just hasn't developed from what we saw in his first stint and Mowbray has got him in a role that he never ever will.

Still it's worked about 3 times this season so that means it'll still be being rolled out next season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philipl said:

I would love to see Brereton and Gallagher under a different manager.

I’d wager decent money that neither will ever score goals consistently in the second tier, regardless of the manager.  I’d be doubtful about League One to be honest. Neither has any strikers instinct whatsoever.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

So if we forget for a minute that Brereton has been utterly crap ever since he came here, and his pitiful scoring record, let’s have a look at the “one for the future” argument.

If we have ambitions to get back to the premier league, surely any players “for the future” need to progress to be good enough to play at that level. That’s never ever going to be the case with Brereton. A criminally bad signing and a complete misuse of funds. Just completely baffling and there could well be more to this signing than meets the eye.

For context, Spurs paid £5 million for Dele Alli as “one for the future”. Yeah, he might be a prick, but it just goes to further show how bad a signing Brereton has been. Get rid of him for whatever we can get. Even if it’s a free at least his wage is gone. He is a hinderance.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I’d wager decent money that neither will ever score goals consistently in the second tier, regardless of the manager.  I’d be doubtful about League One to be honest. Neither has any strikers instinct whatsoever.

Brereton's at 100 club appearances now in his career - with 10 goals (2 penalties). 54 of them were starts as well.

4 of his goals have come in the 89th minute or later. Maybe he's just one to bring off the bench with a couple of minutes to go.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

So if we forget for a minute that Brereton has been utterly crap ever since he came here, and his pitiful scoring record, let’s have a look at the “one for the future” argument.

If we have ambitions to get back to the premier league, surely any players “for the future” need to progress to be good enough to play at that level. That’s never ever going to be the case with Brereton. A criminally bad signing and a complete misuse of funds. Just completely baffling and there could well be more to this signing than meets the eye.

For context, Spurs paid £5 million for Dele Alli as “one for the future”. Yeah, he might be a prick, but it just goes to further show how bad a signing Brereton has been. Get rid of him for whatever we can get. Even if it’s a free at least his wage is gone. He is a hinderance.

Do you think Forest would be interested in talking him off our hands for a small fee ?

It’s such a shame butterworth got injured I thought it would be a breakthrough season as he’s by far a better prospect than brereton. I tend to be more forgiving than most but I’ve given up on Ben doing anything here, I really thought there was something there (or maybe it was just in dumb hope). There was a complete lack of trust from the manager from the start (why spend that money if no trust) and through his own stupidity v Barnsley he’s never had a run of games here. It’s so bizarre. From the signing to the actual management of the lad himself it’s been a complete shitshow and the worst handling of a player since Mowbray arrived by far and considering the money that was spent just makes the mis-management even more sickening. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TheWeasel said:

It’s such a shame butterworth got injured I thought it would be a breakthrough season as he’s by far a better prospect than brereton. I tend to be more forgiving than most but I’ve given up on Ben doing anything here, I really thought there was something there (or maybe it was just in dumb hope). There was a complete lack of trust from the manager from the start (why spend that money if no trust) and through his own stupidity v Barnsley he’s never had a run of games here. It’s so bizarre. From the signing to the actual management of the lad himself it’s been a complete shitshow and the worst handling of a player since Mowbray arrived by far and considering the money that was spent just makes the mis-management even more sickening. 

Really hope to see Butterworth in the first team. He certainly has the desire. I just hope his injury doesn’t have any lasting effects.

• Like 5

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18578653.rovers-boss-reveals-attacker-fined-red-card/

I can't help but feel Mowbray was a plank about this. 

He screamed abuse at Ben losing a 50/50 right in front of the Manager's patch and Ben went in rashly/frustrated to recover it. 

I didn't see a nasty kick and neither did the commentary team.

Mowbray hung Ben out to dry publicly and fined him instead of challenging a harsh straight red.

Not impressed.

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18578653.rovers-boss-reveals-attacker-fined-red-card/

I can't help but feel Mowbray was a plank about this. 

He screamed abuse at Ben losing a 50/50 right in front of the Manager's patch and Ben went in rashly/frustrated to recover it. 

I didn't see a nasty kick and neither did the commentary team.

Mowbray hung Ben out to dry publicly and fined him instead of challenging a harsh straight red.

Not impressed.

Whilst I don't think Mowbray should be saying publicly that he fined Brereton your assertion that the sending off should have been challenged is wrong in my view. Appealing a sending off costs £500 which is non returnable if the appeal is unsuccessful and there is a possibility of extra games for a frivolous appeal. From my viewing it was a clear sending off and wholly unprofessional from Brereton.

• Like 3

Not impressed with Mowbray on this one, why is he so much harsher on his junior players than his senior players?

Despite what Arbitro says, most of us seemed to clock that it was an extremely harsh red. Think we all expected TM to support him on it. Instead he has levelled a fine against a lad who is clearly a confidence player and was appearing to find some, also discouraging bite from a player who was finally showing some.

Given that we have had players do worse tackles since and not be sent off nor fined, I can't imagine it's going to help Ben like TM probably thinks it is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not impressed with Mowbray on this one, why is he so much harsher on his junior players than his senior players?

Despite what Arbitro says, most of us seemed to clock that it was an extremely harsh red. Think we all expected TM to support him on it. Instead he has levelled a fine against a lad who is clearly a confidence player and was appearing to find some, also discouraging bite from a player who was finally showing some.

Given that we have had players do worse tackles since and not be sent off nor fined, I can't imagine it's going to help Ben like TM probably thinks it is.

That challenge wasn't Brereton showing 'bite'. It was silly, and if he can't work out the difference between a good, strong challenge and one that gives the ref a decision to make then he shouldn't be playing professional football. Being able to hear the reactions before and after the challenge from those around it because of the absence of crowd noise shone a light on it as well I think. 

I do think it was a harsh red, and I was raging at the Barnsley manager's inflammation of the situation, as well as Mowbray's impassiveness, but I don't think - for all his faults - Mowbray could support the lad on this one, though I agree that any club punishment should have been kept quiet about.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 2

Did anyone else pick up on something BD said about Ben in his commentary on Sat?

"There's a player in there, somewhere"

This might've been a bit of a slip on BD's part, but you wouldn't usually add the word 'somewhere' if you'd seen him rip it up day after day in training.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Did anyone else pick up on something BD said about Ben in his commentary on Sat?

"There's a player in there, somewhere"

This might've been a bit of a slip on BD's part, but you wouldn't usually add the word 'somewhere' if you'd seen him rip it up day after day in training.

Yeah I did get the impression that Dack wasn't Ben's biggest fan. I did laugh at the line that I think @Stuart picked up on at the time...."They aren't the brightest tools in the box". I splurted my pint out when Dacky said that.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yeah I did get the impression that Dack wasn't Ben's biggest fan. I did laugh at the line that I think @Stuart picked up on at the time...."They aren't the brightest tools in the box". I splurted my pint out when Dacky said that.

I thought it was pretty ironic, bearing in mind he's got the phrase completely wrong.

• Like 5

Brereton's kick was about as petulant as the Leicester guy's kick yesterday which he also got a red card for. It's not going to hurt anyone, and once upon a time they would just get on with it, but nowadays if you kick someone without the ball being there you are going to walk.

• Like 1