BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Brereton's kick was about as petulant as the Leicester guy's kick yesterday which he also got a red card for. It's not going to hurt anyone, and once upon a time they would just get on with it, but nowadays if you kick someone without the ball being there you are going to walk.

Agreed, refer back to Beckham's sending off in '98. I don't think anyone would disagree that he deserved to walk.

• Like 1

Not a clue why some of you are talking as though he intentionally kicked the lad well after the ball had gone rather than lunging a bit recklessly, but it's not the case.

Oldjamfan, we don't have an issue calling it bite when Lenihan and Travis do very similar things but get away with it. In fact we seem to applaud them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not a clue why some of you are talking as though he intentionally kicked the lad well after the ball had gone rather than lunging a bit recklessly, but it's not the case.

Oldjamfan, we don't have an issue calling it bite when Lenihan and Travis do very similar things but get away with it. In fact we seem to applaud them.

I believe he did intentionally kick the Barnsley player which is the key point in the referees judgement.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It was silly and petulant, and above all, brainless. And yes, in terms of professional football it was well after the ball had gone (a pub league challenge, if you like). Most importantly it gave us a bloody mountain to climb in the game. When it first happened I thought 'that looked a soft one' but when I saw Brereton's sheepish reaction as he was trudging off I wondered. Then i saw the replay and it is indefensible. On your last point there, Travis got pelters from Mowbray and on here when he got sent off for a similar thing a while back as I recall (though at least we won that game i think as it happened right at the death)?

Edited by oldjamfan1

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It was silly and petulant, and above all, brainless. And yes, in terms of professional football it was well after the ball had gone (a pub league challenge, if you like). Most importantly it gave us a bloody mountain to climb in the game. When it first happened I thought 'that looked a soft one' but when I saw Brereton's sheepish reaction as he was trudging off I wondered. Then i saw the replay and it is indefensible. On your last point there, Travis got pelters from Mowbray and on here when he got sent off for a similar thing a while back as I recall (though at least we won that game i think as it happened right at the death)?

Never in a month of Sundays am I going to buy that was a red. Just a clumsy, rash challenge that is a yellow every day of the week. It's the ref's decision that was indefensible as there are worse challenges nearly every game.

He may well have gotten pelters for actually being sent off. That's not my point, my point is that when similar or worse challenges happen and we aren't unlucky enough for the ref to have a brain fart, we don't see the players who do it getting pilloried.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Never in a month of Sundays am I going to buy that was a red. Just a clumsy, rash challenge that is a yellow every day of the week. It's the ref's decision that was indefensible as there are worse challenges nearly every game.

He may well have gotten pelters for actually being sent off. That's not my point, my point is that when similar or worse challenges happen and we aren't unlucky enough for the ref to have a brain fart, we don't see the players who do it getting pilloried.

We'll just need to agree to disagree on the challenge really mate, I guess. You call it a 'brain fart' by the ref, whereas I call it a slightly harsh decision caused by Brereton acting like a 14 year old schoolboy with the clear intent he showed to take the man and not the ball, giving the referee a decision to make, which he made with glee.

I agree with you in the sense that I would probably have also 'only' given him a yellow card but it wasn't that outrageous a sending off because we have seen several similar examples. The one poster we have on here that refereed at the highest level of the professional game called it a red straight away, and that's good enough for me. Whether I agree with him or not, it at least tells me that something about the challenge had 'red card' about it and it wasn't just a maverick ref on the day trying to get some attention.

You saw it differently and that's fine, but once again some people (not necessarily you) are using it as a stick to beat Mowbray with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It depends if you honestly think he was actually trying to play the ball. If you do, then his timing and judgement is even worse than he has shown so far in his Rovers career. He's nowhere near it.

If you don't think that he's trying to play the ball, which a few of us obviously don't, then he's got knocked to the floor, got back up, ran across and kicked someone out of frustration. Admittedly not very hard, and had the ref even just gave a free kick not many people would have batted an eyelid. But nowadays you can't just kick a player because you are frustrated.

However, if you honestly think he was genuinely trying to kick the ball but is simply that bad a footballer that he missed it by miles, then I understand why you could argue he is just clumsy and unlucky.

Edited by Hasta

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

It was a red for me. He had no intention of playing the ball, the lad went past him and kicked him. 

For me it's more of a red card than a lot of straight red cards because most of them I ca  see the player is trying to play the ball.

Deliberate fouls like that should imo be treated more harshly than they currently are.

3 hours ago, renrag said:

Whilst watching the Barnsley game on the laptop I was keeping an eye on Sky Sports news. As soon as Brereton was sent off, they analysed the incident from a number of angles and in ultra slow motion. I saw petulance but nothing to justify a red card. Chris Kamara and Geoff Stelling both had the same opinion (not that that means anything), one of them even suggested the referee may have over reacted, because he had failed to issue a clear red card in his previous game at Leeds v Fulham. Mowbray’s comments, probably made before he had seen a replay, then destroyed any chance of a possible successful appeal. He then compounds that by disclosing what should have remained a private in house decision

I think TM clearly thinks it was a red. Not only are the comments, but he fined him. You wouldn't fine him before seeing the replay nor if you thought it wasn't a red.

Personally I'm staggered anybody in our own camp, fans and manager, think it was a red, and even some neutrals can see it wasn't, but I'm not going to keep arguing about it. It's a game of opinions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

It was a red for me. He had no intention of playing the ball, the lad went past him and kicked him. 

For me it's more of a red card than a lot of straight red cards because most of them I ca  see the player is trying to play the ball.

Deliberate fouls like that should imo be treated more harshly than they currently are.

Spot on. Absolutely indefensible from BB imo.

That said, he had been showing some promise before his inexplicable rush of blood and having taken his imo fully justified punishment I hope he is drafted back into the side.

I do however fear that if Mowbray treats him like he did Travis after a sending off that could be the end of him at Ewood. The latter player was never seen after his indiscretion and only reappeared  immediately before the transfer window after Mowbray had talked about sending him out on loan.

Fortunately for us long term Smallwood got himself sent off in that game and the rest is history. BB might not get a similar slice of good fortune.

9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I think TM clearly thinks it was a red. Not only are the comments, but he fined him. You wouldn't fine him before seeing the replay nor if you thought it wasn't a red.

Personally I'm staggered anybody in our own camp, fans and manager, think it was a red, and even some neutrals can see it wasn't, but I'm not going to keep arguing about it. It's a game of opinions.

It's the modern game matey. They'll be blowing up when the ball goes above shoulder height like they do in 4 a side soon. British football, which used be the most physical in Europe is now becoming the least physical. One thing that struck me in the last World Cup was that England players were going down appealing for free kicks that they would probably have got in the Prem but the foreign refs were just waving play on.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's the modern game matey. They'll be blowing up when the ball goes above shoulder height like they do in 4 a side soon. British football, which used be the most physical in Europe is now becoming the least physical. One thing that struck me in the last World Cup was that England players were going down appealing for free kicks that they would probably have got in the Prem but the foreign refs were just waving play on.

Agree completely. However whilst I'm all for a good meaty challenge the BB incident had nothing to do with that.

Irritated at being fouled by one player he took a big swipe at another with the ball not even in the same postcode.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Some players may react well to a public bollocking like Brereton has received and use it to spur them on. Sadly I don't think he has that sort of character about him.

I think giving him a boot up the arse with a public bollocking and a fine is exactly what he needs. As the impression I've had of him his entire time here is he likes a laugh, is desperate to fit in with the boys and I don't think he's massively focused on what he is actually here to do. Improve as a footballer. 

Hopefully the fact he's had a bit of a telling off will make him knuckle down. If he could focus on getting himself into the gym a little more and gain an actual athletic physique it would improve his game no end. I actually think Mowbray has jumped at the chance to give him a public bollocking as he thinks that's exactly what he needs in general. Not just for one petulant challenge. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Spot on. Absolutely indefensible from BB imo.

That said, he had been showing some promise before his inexplicable rush of blood and having taken his imo fully justified punishment I hope he is drafted back into the side.

I do however fear that if Mowbray treats him like he did Travis after a sending off that could be the end of him at Ewood. The latter player was never seen after his indiscretion and only reappeared  immediately before the transfer window after Mowbray had talked about sending him out on loan.

Fortunately for us long term Smallwood got himself sent off in that game and the rest is history. BB might not get a similar slice of good fortune.

As much as I think it was a really stupid thing to do I wouldn't hold it against him too much. I've seen enough of Brereton to know he is more on the timid side so it appeared to me to come more out of a sense of frustration and perversely showed he cares (which I haven't always seen from him). 

The way Mowbray described Brereton when he bought him and what you see in that youtube highlights reel of him at Forrest you would think he would be suited to the role on the right of a front 3 but he hasn't been used in this role. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting interview with Brereton in the Telegraph today

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18682460.brereton-looks-back-forward-two-years-rovers/

Doesn’t really come across as the quiet, unassuming, delicate little flower a lot of people like to paint him as. He seems confident, enjoys being here, is mates with everyone, and slightly worryingly, thinks he is doing well.

All this talk of him being a confidence player, I really don’t get. I think he needs telling that he’s approaching last chance saloon and we need infinitely more than we’ve seen from him thus far, and quickly.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18682460.brereton-looks-back-forward-two-years-rovers/

Doesn’t really come across as the quiet, unassuming, delicate little flower a lot of people like to paint him as. He seems confident, enjoys being here, is mates with everyone, and slightly worryingly, thinks he is doing well.

All this talk of him being a confidence player, I really don’t get. I think he needs telling that he’s approaching last chance saloon and we need infinitely more than we’ve seen from him thus far, and quickly.

Doesn't suit the narrative though.

• Like 2

Maybe been handled and over protected with kid gloves a bit too much this lad but it was MOwbray himself not long ago questioning the fire in his belly. If you come into a camp and get treated like that and told nothing much is expected of you yet then you'll soon fall into a comfortable plod.

50 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I read it as he thinks he is doing well now, which, he has certainly improved a lot. The bluster is probably all part of keeping his confidence high, as I'm sure everyone at the club has identified he needs some and probably worked with him on this.

I'm hoping he will do well tomorrow and not look back. He certainly has a lot to prove still.

"I feel like I am doing well"??? 

Blimey. I mean 2 goals in 2 years is in nobody's book doing well. And even under the circus of Venkys we have still seen some excellent championship strikers like Rhodes and Graham as well as great seasons from Armstrong and Gestede. That's doing well. Bereton is a million miles off that. Not sure when he's refering to but he hasn't done anywhere near this and until he does vaguely more then turn up for his annual dead rubber game then he should keep comments like that to himself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Miller11 said:

When he said he feels he is doing well I took it to mean he meant in this pre season?He had said just before that that he hadn't played much